The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
EspiOne
Posts in topic: 4

New to Forum from West Texas.

Post by EspiOne »

I just wanted to say, "Hi"

Long Time pistol shooter, since 1993, when I left the service the first time. 6 year USMC

I carried concealed until about 2004 when I relisted in the US ARMY. (I was told by the USMC recruiter, politely, "we don't have room for old (36 at the time) Marines who want to come back" )

I mainly shoot 9mm, .38/.357 and own a a Del Ton M-4, which I shoot at least one every two months, I recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS Tactical, which I am just beginning to enjoy and a Winchester 1300 Defender, 12 Gauge.

I compete in IDPA, once or twice a month within my area.

I am getting back into hand loading, so I am able to shoot more rounds down range, before my second enlistment, I averaged about 1K rounds per month.

Glad to find this forum as I am awaiting my CHL, I submitted all the PW via online, not mailed, on or about May 14th, after 30 days, I am still waiting. I check my status online, but I don't get any "useful" information.

Look forward to some interesting discussions.

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: New to Forum from West Texas.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Welcome aboard sir. Thank you for your service.

Thank you for using white space (it's the reader's friend!) and laying out your firearms life.

What's your preferred EDC (every day carry) handgun?

There's a lot of knife carriers here too, if you carry one of those.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
EspiOne

Post by EspiOne »

I first started out carrying a Firestar M43, got a very nice Mitch Rosen, belt, ARG, 5DM and SOS for that pistol. Afterwards, I started to carry a Beretta 92 Compact, (F, D, G), (felt I needed more ammo) in the same type of Mitch Rosen Gear and a S&W 940/642 during the summer in a ARG. After so many years of not carrying, (and not working out), I found I had to order an larger belt from Mitch Rosen to use my older leather.

I am planning to carry my Model 60 in a IWB holster (made by Holster Store), once I get my license. (for the summer)

Since I have not carried in almost 10 years, I am debating about going back to the Beretta 92 Compact, (since I already have the gear) or a Glock 19, since I purchase one about 11 years ago, (owned and shot, but not carried) and I just purchased a Glock 26, which I found to be an excellent shooter and I found a Mitch Rosen ARG Express line (ebay for $41), just need to order a new belt loop.

My preffered knife is a Benchmade CQC-7, which I have owned for over 20 years, (keep in car and change out after work) but I carry a Mel Purdue 305 at work. My fall back knife is a Benchmade Striker, (which is dull at the moment)

bigity
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bigity »

Wow, I had always heard/been told that changing services was pretty rare. I certainly wasn't going to switch to the Army after the USAF. :D

Which has better food? The Army folks on Goodfellow always raved about the chow halls, which was considered pretty much third rate by us airmen.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Welcome!

Whereabouts in west TX? (or did you mean West, TX?) :lol:
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Welcome to the forum
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
EspiOne

Post by EspiOne »

oohrah wrote:Welcome!

Whereabouts in west TX? (or did you mean West, TX?) :lol:
As far west as you can go in TX, El Paso, Tx.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Welcome!

Lots of good people here and excellent advice on CHL in Texas.
Ron
NRA Member

Topic author
EspiOne

Post by EspiOne »

bigity wrote:Wow, I had always heard/been told that changing services was pretty rare. I certainly wasn't going to switch to the Army after the USAF. :D

Which has better food? The Army folks on Goodfellow always raved about the chow halls, which was considered pretty much third rate by us airmen.
Well, the story goes like this, 6 years working Community Supervision, (Adult Probation), stress, stress, one day, I Quit, I decided to go back in the service.

I have to say the food was about the same, but it was better in the army since I cooked it, at least for one year, I was a cook, but 2 years out of the 3 that I was in, were spent in IRAQ, so patrols, guard duty, and over watch for the food contracted employees from India.

In Rumors, when I hear about the difference services, USAF seems to the cream of the crop. The USAF life is top notch, but for me, 6 years in the USMC prepared me for a cake walk in the USARMY.

bigity
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bigity »

Outstanding :)

I enjoyed working on a base with the other services present. Was always nice to hear stories and see the differences and similarities - such as the USMC joke about being the Men's Department of the Department of the Navy.

And to know that even the Army folks hated that warrant officer that got the BDU cover that nearly completely hid his warrant officer bars in the black as he went around ambushing poor USAF students who had no freaking idea what a warrant officer was or what the insignia looked like. :)
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

Return to “New to CHL?”