Carrying a 5" 1911 is hard

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Carrying a 5" 1911 is hard

Post by ShootDontTalk »

oohrah wrote:I don't carry my gov model, because it's too dangerous cocked and locked, with a round in the chamber. And what would be the point if it was not.
Exactly. It is dangerous. ANY weapon with a round in the chamber is dangerous. But a great many people have been carrying 1911's cocked and locked safely for a lot of years. Texas Rangers, Sheriffs and Deputies, LAPD SWAT, military units, on and on the list goes.

On the other hand, carrying anything with NO round in the chamber is a lot more dangerous.

The secret, as TAM pointed out, is a quality holster and proper gun belt.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Taypo wrote:I tried an OWB for my 1911 and failed miserably.

Went with an IWB and a gun belt, works like a champ!
I also frequently carry a 5" 1911 with two spare magazines.

I'll second what TAM says about gunbelts. In fact, I'll go even further to say that a good quality gunbelt can make carrying in a lousy holster comfortable while a great holster is still uncomfortable when used with a lousy belt.

Note we said gunbelt. That means a product that is designed and sold to carry a gun. That does not mean a thick belt, a heavy belt, a work belt, a ranger belt, a cowboy belt, or an Amish belt. A gunbelt.

And since his picture was with a lightweight gun, this is my Beltman.net belt holding an all-steel 5" 1911.

Normally, I carry it in a Comp-Tac Minotaur.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

The Wall
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Wall »

I carry mine in a good OWB holster with a good thick gun belt and find it to be very comfortable. Wear loose fitting button up outer shirts and a wife beater to prevent gun and holster from rubbing on bare sweaty skin. Wife beaters are much cooler than most T-shirts. If I'm going somewhere that I have to tuck in my shirt, which is very seldom, I either ankle carry or pocket carry smaller framed guns. Don't plan on changing a thing with OC either.

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimlongley »

joe817 wrote:I could Never get away with carrying a full size 1911 even though I'd love to. The Lord blessed me with a "compact size" and at 5' 8" and weighs soaking wet, 180 lbs., a compact gun, or sub compact gun is what I am most comfortable with and I NEVER have any probs with unintentional exposure of my gun. besides, it's totally comfortable for carry all day, every day.

Now then a guy who is 6' 2" or better and weighs 200 or better could MUCH easier totally conceal a full size 1911, and I say how lucky you are! (except when you try to squeeze into a sub-compact car!) :cool:

Compacts and sub-compacts were developed for people like me. Just saying. ;-)
At ~6'2" and >200#, I have carried full size 1911s for years, very comfortably.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

oohrah wrote:I don't carry my gov model, because it's too dangerous cocked and locked, with a round in the chamber. And what would be the point if it was not. So I got a PX4 Storm .45, which I can de-cock to DAO.

I know a little off-topic, but you might want to rethink your EDC.
I carry my commander sized 1911 cocked and locked everyday and it is perfectly safe. Not a thing wrong with cocked and locked.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Jago668
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jago668 »

jimlongley wrote:
joe817 wrote:I could Never get away with carrying a full size 1911 even though I'd love to. The Lord blessed me with a "compact size" and at 5' 8" and weighs soaking wet, 180 lbs., a compact gun, or sub compact gun is what I am most comfortable with and I NEVER have any probs with unintentional exposure of my gun. besides, it's totally comfortable for carry all day, every day.

Now then a guy who is 6' 2" or better and weighs 200 or better could MUCH easier totally conceal a full size 1911, and I say how lucky you are! (except when you try to squeeze into a sub-compact car!) :cool:

Compacts and sub-compacts were developed for people like me. Just saying. ;-)
At ~6'2" and >200#, I have carried full size 1911s for years, very comfortably.
Same for me, except it is the Springfield 4.5" XDM. I have a compact that I can carry, but I do love being able to carry a full size.
NRA Benefactor Member

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Excaliber »

If carrying a 5" 1911 is hard, try the 4.25 commander length or the 3" officer length with the shorter grip.

Always remember that, while carrying a 1911 is hard, not having one when you need one is much harder.......

:lol:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

joe817 wrote:TAM, once again, an excellent analysis of proper holsters, belts, and clothing for successful and concealed carry! Thank you.

I think this should be put in a sticky somewhere, the info is so valuable.
:iagree: It's an excellent post.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm 5'9" and weigh 175 pounds. I carry a 5" 1911 95% of the time and a 4 1/4" Commander the other 5%. I usually carry it in a Comp-Tac Infidel IWB holster, but I sometimes use an OWB holster. As others have said, buy a good gun belt, it's not an option, it's mission-critical.

Also as others have advised, be sure to get a holster that cants at least 15% (a/k/a FBI cant) to aid in keeping the grip of the gun in line with your torso. Straight drop holsters are great for competition, but not for carrying a handgun concealed.

Chas.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

oohrah wrote:I don't carry my gov model, because it's too dangerous cocked and locked, with a round in the chamber. And what would be the point if it was not. So I got a PX4 Storm .45, which I can de-cock to DAO.

I know a little off-topic, but you might want to rethink your EDC.
I use to think this way until I started thinking. You have a slide safety, grip safety, and you have to pull the trigger. None of those things can be actuated while carrying in a proper holster. You have to draw the gun out of the holster, have a full grip on the gun, drop the slide safety, and pull the trigger to fire the gun. I also use a thumb break holster which adds another layer of safety when carrying cocked and locked for those that think the hammer might malfunction, or get hit and drop. Much safer than carrying a Glock for example.
So please explain why carrying a 1911 is any more unsafe than any other gun.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

ShootDontTalk wrote:
On the other hand, carrying anything with NO round in the chamber is a lot more dangerous.
Don't want to take this off topic, but this is a mouth full of wisdom yet some still just don't understand how dangerous it is to carry with an empty chamber thinking they can see the threat, draw, chamber a round, point, and then shoot.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

carlson1 wrote:
ShootDontTalk wrote:
Don't want to take this off topic, but this is a mouth full of wisdom yet some still just don't understand how dangerous it is to carry with an empty round in the chamber thinking they can see the threat, draw, chamber a round, point, and then shoot.
Why would you want an empty round in the chamber? :lol: Couldn't resist.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

The Wall wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
ShootDontTalk wrote:
Don't want to take this off topic, but this is a mouth full of wisdom yet some still just don't understand how dangerous it is to carry with an empty round in the chamber thinking they can see the threat, draw, chamber a round, point, and then shoot.
Why would you want an empty round in the chamber? :lol: Couldn't resist.
I fixed it. I would guess an empty round is just as good as an empty chamber. :anamatedbanana

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 10

Post by ShootDontTalk »

I just returned from dinner and I wore the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II in this holster using the forward cant belt position. Covered it with a long, dark colored T-shirt.

http://www.desantisholster.com/SPEED-SCABBARD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Sorry, I can't seem to get the image to copy. :banghead: )

I had a full round and now my chamber is no longer empty. :hurry:
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

ShootDontTalk wrote:http://www.desantisholster.com/SPEED-SCABBARD

(Sorry, I can't seem to get the image to copy. :banghead: )
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “New to CHL?”