Question about eligibility for CHL

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Joro
Posts in topic: 5

Question about eligibility for CHL

Post by Joro »

Hello, I'm curious how my past could effect my eligibility for my CHL. When I was 14 , I had a minor incident where I had a tantrum in Colorado at my parents house. They let the cop take me to a juvenile detention center where I stayed over night. Next morning went in front of a Judge and my parents took me home... This is where I'd gets confusing for me, I remember going to talk to someone every now and then after the incident for a few months but I don't remember if it was probation, I don't think it was.. I'm 30 now and I tried to ask my mom about details she doesn't even remember. Is there a place or number for Colorado to get info about this incident? I was only 14, all that "criminal" stuff was way above my knowledge base at the time. For the past 16 years I've had no issues with law. Was a one and done thing. It definitely was not a felony and I can't image it being anything really serious. But this thought keeps looming over me and is now making the wait and impossible with the thought of my app being denied or delayed.

I'm asking here cause of the immense amount of information and knowledge on this forum. Thank you in advance to all that help!

I've already submitted my CHL APP,. I totally forgot about this incident till I read about someone asking about juvenile issues and how they may impact my app since its not on my app.

Im able to buy a gun with no issues. Is this a good sign that my past will not have any impact on my CHL? Or does being able to buy a gun have nothing to do with the success rate of my situation ?

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Question about eligibility for CHL

Post by Jumping Frog »

I'd suggest you can stop worrying. This doesn't sound like anything that will affect your application.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Joro

Post by Joro »

Haha I'll try, so not putting it on my app shouldn't hurt anything? I hope a mistake a 14 year old made shouldn't disqualify me. But I over think things

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tomtexan »

Jumping Frog wrote:I'd suggest you can stop worrying. This doesn't sound like anything that will affect your application.
:iagree: with Frog. Probably won't be an issue.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Since you inadvertently left the issue off the application, I would wait and see if DPS needs any information on the incident. If nothing shows up on the background check, then you should be fine. If it does, they will send a request for information at which time you can go to the court clerk in the county where it occurred and get a disposition on it to send in.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TexasSix

Post by TexasSix »

I had an arrest on my record as a juvenile. 16 years old. I am now 67 and had forgotten about it completely.
Nothing done about it, just arrested and released later that night. It was on my record however, as an arrest.
DPS wants every arrest justified with final disposition. In my case, I sat six weeks waiting on my CHL.
Got a letter from DPS saying more info needed. I had to go to Sheriffs office and get a certified statement
on the final disposition of this arrest. After doing so, I scanned it and uploaded it at the DPS server
for supporting information. 3 weeks later, I had my CHL. This was just in the last few months.
DVC Gun Control is being able to hit your Target!!

cyphersc@acm.org

Post by cyphersc@acm.org »

TexasSix wrote:I had an arrest on my record as a juvenile. 16 years old. I am now 67 and had forgotten about it completely.
Nothing done about it, just arrested and released later that night. It was on my record however, as an arrest.
DPS wants every arrest justified with final disposition. In my case, I sat six weeks waiting on my CHL.
Got a letter from DPS saying more info needed. I had to go to Sheriffs office and get a certified statement
on the final disposition of this arrest. After doing so, I scanned it and uploaded it at the DPS server
for supporting information. 3 weeks later, I had my CHL. This was just in the last few months.

Something I've always wondered about is that if the arrest shows up on a background check why doesn't the disposition.

Topic author
Joro

Post by Joro »

The more I read the more I feel my app will get flagged. I'm not worried about not getting the CHL, but feel I will need to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it. I live in Texas and from what I'm reading it doesn't look like I'd be able to get info of my record over the phone. Since the incident took place in Colorado, would I need to go to the county clerk by traveling to the state? I'm still annoyed that something so small could effect me 16 years later. :confused5

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Getting a certified copy of a case disposition does not require appearing in person. Telephone and mail will work.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

TexasSix

Post by TexasSix »

cyphersc@acm.org wrote:
TexasSix wrote:I had an arrest on my record as a juvenile. 16 years old. I am now 67 and had forgotten about it completely.

Something I've always wondered about is that if the arrest shows up on a background check why doesn't the disposition.
I would have thought the same. But apparently only arrest records are in the DPS search. Arrest records are kept, one hopes
at the local level. I had to do a lot of digging for my disposition. My one arrest they were looking for disposition on was 51
years ago. I had totally forgot about it. When I got the letter six weeks in, and read it, I first said no freaking way. Then my
memory kicked in and I was, Oh Yeh, I remember that now. However, after going to the courthouse, and county sheriff, I got
what I needed and up-loaded it thru the Supporting documents link and 3 weeks later, had my CHL.

As a closing note, Yes, any arrest, even if there was no conviction, will need documentation on final disposition.
DVC Gun Control is being able to hit your Target!!

Topic author
Joro

Post by Joro »

Well called the Douglas County Clerk in Colorado. It's still there. I'm sure of it now it will pop up. I now need to mail them a letting asking for the final disposition and get it notarized. Pay 1.00$ per page. I feel like just giving up. 16 years later I'm screwing myself

Here's the thing, will they only look at Texas records or does everything from every state follow?1

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Joro wrote:Here's the thing, will they only look at Texas records or does everything from every state follow?1
It depends on what Colorado reports to the FBI, which is where Texas DPS gets at least part of their criminal history on you. I know that while all states report adult arrests, some states (at least they didn't used to) do not report juvenile arrests (at one time, I worked at the Fort Worth Police Information Center doing wants/warrants and criminal histories and all the other telecommunications stuff for both field officers and the deskbound folks, and worked as a do-it-all dispatcher/jailer for one of the suburban cities for a couple of years before that.)

While getting the certified documents from Colorado is going to be a relatively minor hassle.. you'll still need to wait to see if DPS even wants it. If they do, you're Golden! (That's a Colorado joke, get it?)

G'luck!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Topic author
Joro

Post by Joro »

Haha, I grew up very close to Golden, Colorado. I'm basically going to travel to Colorado for a few days to get the info anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing some friends and family. Whilst there I'll get my paperwork and then submit a form to get the file removed completely. I don't leave till end of October. That should give DPS enough time to either approve or send the letter. Will keep posted l.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Joro wrote: I now need to mail them a letting asking for the final disposition and get it notarized. Pay 1.00$ per page. ,
Don't sweat the cost; most likely the disposition is only 1-3 pages long. I'd suggest getting an extra copy to keep with your important documents, just in case it's ever needed for anything else.

Return to “New to CHL?”