Concealed Carry OWB vs IWB? Your Opinions Requested

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
rytchard
Posts in topic: 5

Concealed Carry OWB vs IWB? Your Opinions Requested

Post by rytchard »

Just got my CHL aka LTC yesterday and have yet to carry away from the home. Today at work decided that tomorrow I would begin my newly authorized routine.

Background: I have a SCCY CPX-2 with a TR10 Armalaser attached. After much searching I purchased two Desantis holsters one OWB and one IWB.

Tonight when I got home I decided to try out each in preparation for tomorrow (my debut to the public). For work, I wear a short sleeve golf type shirt which I can wear tucked in or out with shorts during the summer, and dockers during the winter with a jacket (of course winter or colder weather this choice will be much easier).

I first tried IWB at 3 o'clock and 4 o'clock. Not bad...not real comfortable, draw was workable and through my eyes not "that" much printing wise.

I then put on the DeSantis OWB holster at both positions. Feels better, more comfortable, draw and return much easier, and printing wise, I really don't notice a significant difference.

Both obviously with shirt worn outside and not tucked in.

My request for your input is this. I have opted to begin with the OWB method. But for some reason I feel inherently guilty that this may be the wrong choice. So I ask for your comments, experiences, and opinions.

Thanks much – and Semper Fi! :patriot:

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Concealed Carry OWB vs IWB? Your Opinions Requested

Post by Beiruty »

OWB is more comfortable and may require a jacket or a vest as concealment gourmet.
IWB could be easier to conceal but require +2 pants.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I've only used cross breed IWB, I like them but I now have a few skin tags where the leather rubs. It's ok, I'm still super sexy
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tomtexan »

Richbirdhunter wrote:I've only used cross breed IWB, I like them but I now have a few skin tags where the leather rubs. It's ok, I'm still super sexy
TMI :eek6
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

MONGOOSE
Banned

Post by MONGOOSE »

quote="Richbirdhunter"]I've only used cross breed IWB, I like them but I now have a few skin tags where the leather rubs. It's ok, I'm still super sexy[/quote]
:iagree: all except the sexy part

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

For me, it's always been OWB since day one. I can't even imagine IWB. It just seems like it would be so uncomfortable.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

tomtexan wrote:For me, it's always been OWB since day one. I can't even imagine IWB. It just seems like it would be so uncomfortable.
It's pretty surprising how comfortable IWB is when you finally find the right gun/holster/belt combination, but I started out IWB.

OTOH, Im totally uncomfortable carrying OWB. Doesn't feel anywhere near as secure or concealed.

TEXASG7

Post by TEXASG7 »

:iagree:
However the real choice rest in your ability to get the weapon out and on target!
IWB seems to be the better fit for most.
I use three types since Texas can really get hot.
Versa carry in the summer, Alien gear in the spring and fall and 3 speed holster in the winter.
Comfort, control, and concealment all year long .
My favorite is the 3 speed holster, a really nice piece of work and no belt needed, Tucked or untucked, deep or regular concealment.
Figure out what works best for you, not just comfort but control being your first choice.
Handle this the same way you would if you were buying a new firearm, not what others have but what best fit your needs and frame?
Be safe, be careful and be prepared.
Last edited by TEXASG7 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

SCCY pistol in OWB holster with a very stiff leather molded holster and strong GUN belt. Extra long polo style shirt and denim carpenter shorts.
Have used this system for over a year now works great. Pistol stayed secure and concealed even when I took a backward tumble
Out of the back of my 3/4 ton pickup truck onto concrete. Slowly going to cross draw holster for travel instead of shoulder holster.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

stroo

Post by stroo »

It is what feels comfortable to you. I have tried a bunch of good IWB holsters and never felt comfortable with any of them. Plus I never have felt like I could draw better from an IWB than I can from my OWB holsters. So I go OWB. I have never understood the view of some that IWB is somehow superior. It just isn't for me. So in my view IWB or OWB depends on what works better for you.

Topic author
rytchard
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rytchard »

Thanks all for the input! I tried today with the OWB and after a few hours it became very obvious that I need a belt that is meant for a handgun (which I have ordered and scheduled to arrive on Friday). My firearm just seemed to move around too much and I didn't like the feeling of that.

As an interim attempt, tomorrow I am going to try IWB which should remedy the moving around thing until my new belt arrives.

Probably a lot related to the above I stopped off at a local Academy Sporting Goods and really really liked the feel and potential of the S&W Bodyguard.

Again, your input is not only welcome, but requested! :)

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Just to add my .02$ :tiphat:

OWB is more comfortable even though I hated it when I was in service.
IWB can be nearly as comfortable as OWB, it takes the right gear and gun, hence you may spend some money for holsters and probably get another gun as well.
There has to be a level of movement in the gun and holster setup or elsewise your belt will be too tight and that can be very uncomfortable, especially over a prolonged period of time.
I ended up with a relative light gun and two different holsters, a kydex holster and a dual carry which can be converted to OWB in the same riding position as for the IWB setup. I use the kydex holster for in and out as well as short trips leaving home. For longer trips I use the dual carry either way.

The good part is just the fact I never had to draw my gun other than at the range or for exercise. :thumbs2:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

As a somewhat portly Senior citizen, I considered IWB once for about 11-13 seconds. From that moment on, it's been OWB without concern for my draw being fouled by my suspenders, colostomy bag, cell phone, Leatherman or class ring, etc. Of course, I wear my Tee shirts untucked or with an over-shirt or something. In the near future, concealment may not be such a concern......they say. :roll:

YMMV? :cool:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

rytchard wrote:As an interim attempt, tomorrow I am going to try IWB which should remedy the moving around thing until my new belt arrives.
It won't, at least not to the degree you're hoping. The key to comfortable carry in a belt holster is ALWAYS a good stiff gunbelt. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

IWB for me. I find it conceals better, and didn't notice any slower drawing. OWB open carry is definitely faster but that is another subject. OWB is more comfortable, especially during warmer weather. I also carried IWB appendix, but was always worried about shooting myself in my junk, or in the femoral artery. Biggest reason I stopped is because I'm fat, and the pressure when sitting down actually caused the magazine to eject a couple of times. So that put an end to that.

I will say that I've always worn decent leather belts. However when I got an actual gun belt it did make a huge difference. Double thick horsehide with a kydex stiffener insert. You already mentioned getting a proper gun belt, so you'll get to see soon enough how much it will help. Took me a couple of months to get fully comfortable with carrying. You also don't have to have a tiny little gun either. I carry a Glock 17 in jeans and a tshirt all the time. I mention it because I started off with a little Bersa Thunder 380 because I was worried so much.
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “New to CHL?”