Robbed within 6 days of moving to Texas

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

MONGOOSE
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Robbed within 6 days of moving to Texas

Post by MONGOOSE »

You need to be ever vigilant . The only time My wife and I were confronted, we were in a gated subdivision .

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Swissy wrote:
I have been in martial arts my entire life and I would really like to try Krav Maga, just have not had many options where I have lived. I noticed there are a couple of Krav Maga schools along my commute to and from the Woodlands. My fiance and I are not going to buy in our current neighborhood in light of what happened, and looking more towards the Woodlands (which I know this sort of thing can happen anywhere).

I will continue my training for sure. I would like to take a holster class if anyone has any recommendations?
As for Krav Maga, that's a good choice. I would look for a course offered at a Jewish Community Center to minimize the chance of getting into some McDojo operation, of which there are many. These glom fees, sell t-shirts and gear but are a bit short when it comes to training useful skills. I took the level 1 course at the JCC in San Diego, and it was all business, as serious as a night in jail. You showed up to sweat, no marketing.

I have learned a great deal at shooting weekends taught by Bruce Grey, Opsec training. There are other good ones.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Houston... enough said.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sugar land dave »

Swissy wrote:Hey All,

Thanks for the continued support, I just got home from passing my CHL course! It was very informative.

As stated before, my situational awareness is heightened and I really like the tip of looking in to car windows. I will proceed with caution for sure and make that a general tactic of walking anywhere.

I have been in martial arts my entire life and I would really like to try Krav Maga, just have not had many options where I have lived. I noticed there are a couple of Krav Maga schools along my commute to and from the Woodlands. My fiance and I are not going to buy in our current neighborhood in light of what happened, and looking more towards the Woodlands (which I know this sort of thing can happen anywhere).

I will continue my training for sure. I would like to take a holster class if anyone has any recommendations?
The Woodlands is a good choice. Southwest of Houston, Sugar Land and Missouri City are very safe suburbs. South of Houston, Pearland is a great safe choice. Crime is just like retail, location,location, location.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

Swissy wrote: My fiance and I are not going to buy in our current neighborhood in light of what happened, and looking more towards the Woodlands (which I know this sort of thing can happen anywhere).
While it can happen anywhere you are in a particularly dangerous area. There are entrenched low income areas intermixed with redeveloped and new construction. You basically have generations of people who have preyed on the students on the fringe of the schools and have just included the new residents into their preferred victims. I imagine you have gates and fences and such, and certainly all new construction is that way in that area, so if you are careful you can be safe but honestly never walk anywhere. You are close enough that a cab or uber won't break the bank. Watch and be aware when you are entering and leaving safe areas. Transition areas and times are often where people let down their guard.
Last edited by EEllis on Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Swissy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Swissy »

You said it, our potential for investment is not worth our safety or peace of mind.

Feed&Guns

Post by Feed&Guns »

From one point of view, they say "any encounter like that you walk away from means you did the right thing." The goal of the encounter is to survive. Sometimes having a gun helps in that. Sometimes it hurts in that. What if you had your gun but they got the jump on you and shot you as you drew it. Or maybe they stole your gun and it was used in a crime later that night. As a CHL instructor, I tell people that I hate those purses "designed" for concealed carry. What's the first thing the bad guy usually has on his mind? Stealing your purse. That's the first to go. Guess what's usually in that purse? Everything you need in that situation. When the bad guy robs a woman by herself, he just took her ID, her phone, her money, her keys, and maybe her gun...all by stealing her purse. Can't call for help. Can't pay a cab. Can't defend yourself. You just gave the bad guy your keys and your address...and he knows you're not there. I suggest to women to keep their ID in their pocket if possible, only carry what you need (why DO women feel like they need an overnight bag everywhere they go?), keep your gun ANYWHERE but your purse, etc. Incidentally, if you're in an area where you need your gun, there is no way you'll dig that thing out of your purse in time. The amount of time it takes to dig that thing out is probably better spent running or evading. And if you're somewhere you think "I'll put my hand on it in case I need it", then you probably don't need to be there anyway.

Avoiding conflict is the safest solution.

Also, (thank you state legislators) it's interesting to note that a sophisticated criminal who might worry about a CHL holder as we become more prolific, would be wise to rob people coming from bars. They know that we, as good, law abiding citizens, can't be armed right then anyway. Although alcohol and guns don't mix, bad guys know that we are disarmed in that situation...and might have our faculties impaired too.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Texas Certified CHL/LTC Instructor
FFL 01 SOT 3 - www.aparmory.net

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Feed&Guns wrote:From one point of view, they say "any encounter like that you walk away from means you did the right thing." The goal of the encounter is to survive. Sometimes having a gun helps in that. Sometimes it hurts in that. What if you had your gun but they got the jump on you and shot you as you drew it. Or maybe they stole your gun and it was used in a crime later that night. As a CHL instructor, I tell people that I hate those purses "designed" for concealed carry. What's the first thing the bad guy usually has on his mind? Stealing your purse. That's the first to go. Guess what's usually in that purse? Everything you need in that situation. When the bad guy robs a woman by herself, he just took her ID, her phone, her money, her keys, and maybe her gun...all by stealing her purse. Can't call for help. Can't pay a cab. Can't defend yourself. You just gave the bad guy your keys and your address...and he knows you're not there. I suggest to women to keep their ID in their pocket if possible, only carry what you need (why DO women feel like they need an overnight bag everywhere they go?), keep your gun ANYWHERE but your purse, etc. Incidentally, if you're in an area where you need your gun, there is no way you'll dig that thing out of your purse in time. The amount of time it takes to dig that thing out is probably better spent running or evading. And if you're somewhere you think "I'll put my hand on it in case I need it", then you probably don't need to be there anyway.

Avoiding conflict is the safest solution.

Also, (thank you state legislators) it's interesting to note that a sophisticated criminal who might worry about a CHL holder as we become more prolific, would be wise to rob people coming from bars. They know that we, as good, law abiding citizens, can't be armed right then anyway. Although alcohol and guns don't mix, bad guys know that we are disarmed in that situation...and might have our faculties impaired too.
Also much more pugnacious with less inhibitions and can't feel pain as much. Hold up men want a quick and easy target. Slightly intoxicated targets walking out of a bar with a paid tab and an empty wallet are not nearly as ripe for the picking as an oblivious college girl with a designer purse and the latest iPhone.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Praise the Lord your all are Ok. :tiphat:

Get your CCW and move. :txflag:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Swissy wrote:Thanks all, it can happen anywhere to anyone, so no need to be sorry.

Those videos on active self protection are downright terrifying, but eye opening at the same time. My biggest fear is having someone in my home and I come home, with getting my CHL I have no excuse not to be walking in to my home without being armed.
So they have your address, and they have your keys to your house and car, and they even know your fiance has a CHL. I would not rest easy, with them now essentially knowing that there are guns in the house, and they have the keys to that house. I hate to be a fear monger, but there is no telling if they are planning to make a second run at ya'll. No telling if they might be brave enough to watch your house, wait for ya'll to leave, and clean ya'll out, or worse.

I don't know much about city life, I live out in the country. I go somewhere, I am always code yellow as soon as I pull into the parking lot. Call me paranoid, call me crazy, but one thing you can call me is alive and armed.

I would suggest relocating ASAP, but if you are unable to, get the locks changed on everything that you lost the keys to, and start reinforcements. Why would somebody take your keys if they just planned on taking your wallet? Why would they need your keys? That's the first thought through my head. From my experience in LE, they don't always strike immediately, sometimes they strike after a while when you've let your guard relax.

Be vigilant, be armed, and be ready my friend. May God bless you, and may you and your family stay safe.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

tlt

Post by tlt »

You might pick up the book "On Combat' and / or "On Killing" by Dave Grossman. He also does a "Sheepdog" seminars around the country. it might be worth trying to catch one. This will help with your perspective on the stress of what happened, and what may happen in future situations.

Bruce Gray of Grayguns is great.

Bruce Gray
http://grayguns.com/

Dave Grossman schedule, click on an event for details
http://www.killology.com/calendar/calen ... ar=default

Thankfully nobody was hurt. I have a terrible impression of Houston with all I hear there. I'd suggest as others have, moving. get a dog, and an alarm in addition to carrying. It will take some dedication but stick to it, before long it will be a habit. Also get out to the range a practice. Seems like this situation would have required an 18 round magazine had you engaged them.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Careful of those Krav Maga teachers! We had one on our block in Austin and he was bat crazy!

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

tlt wrote:You might pick up the book "On Combat' and / or "On Killing" by Dave Grossman. He also does a "Sheepdog" seminars around the country. it might be worth trying to catch one. This will help with your perspective on the stress of what happened, and what may happen in future situations.

Bruce Gray of Grayguns is great.

Bruce Gray
http://grayguns.com/

Dave Grossman schedule, click on an event for details
http://www.killology.com/calendar/calen ... ar=default

Thankfully nobody was hurt. I have a terrible impression of Houston with all I hear there. I'd suggest as others have, moving. get a dog, and an alarm in addition to carrying. It will take some dedication but stick to it, before long it will be a habit. Also get out to the range a practice. Seems like this situation would have required an 18 round magazine had you engaged them.
The local tax assessor tells me that people from Houston are buying get away property in our county like crazy and driving up prices on acreage. The going rate is up 60% in the last two years. Property we bought 3 years ago we couldn't afford to buy now.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “New to CHL?”