OWB Holster

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
vjallen75
Posts in topic: 8

Re: OWB Holster

Post by vjallen75 »

timdsmith72 wrote:I use the same holster for concealed carry and open carry. (The one or two times I've just been too lazy to cover it up.)
I can't say enough good things about Jim and his holsters.

http://pantherconcealment.com/owb-holsters.html

Stock Image:
That's a nice looking holster!
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Topic author
vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

C-dub wrote:I used the CQC paddle for years and would still use the paddle with the 7TS, but the forward cant angle is too much for my taste and not adjustable. So, I was forced to use the belt slide mount that is adjustable.

I also like the finger release and even used in IDPA matches without any issues. However, after using this thumb release it seems more natural.
I really do like the paddle it makes it feel more secure.the thumb release does look more natural. I'll be comfortable with my finger release by the time my license gets here
Vence
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

I am a huge fan of the Safariland 7ts holsters. I have about a dozen of them in every shape, size, and color for a Glock... but not for CC.

If you want an OWB that is concealable, then the Raven Phantom with the pancake wings belt attachment is about the best that you can get. Very slim, will sit as close to your side as possible, and still be comfortable. I carry a G19 in one IWB on its own nylon "under belt" and then tuck my shirt over it... shows no clips or anything over the outer belt. I can wear it all day and not notice.

Or you could get a great holster like the Safariland 7377 and just let it print because it is not illegal and no one will notice anyhow.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Topic author
vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

AJSully421 wrote:I am a huge fan of the Safariland 7ts holsters. I have about a dozen of them in every shape, size, and color for a Glock... but not for CC.

If you want an OWB that is concealable, then the Raven Phantom with the pancake wings belt attachment is about the best that you can get. Very slim, will sit as close to your side as possible, and still be comfortable. I carry a G19 in one IWB on its own nylon "under belt" and then tuck my shirt over it... shows no clips or anything over the outer belt. I can wear it all day and not notice.

Or you could get a great holster like the Safariland 7377 and just let it print because it is not illegal and no one will notice anyhow.
I use the GLS right now from Safariland for OWB, it does print usually (depending on the shirt). I am not opposed to an IWB holster just haven't thought about it as much. I don't think it would be comfortable for me. My carry is an FNS-9, not many holsters for it yet unfortunately.

I cannot carry outside of my house until I receive my license, of course.
Vence

Steve
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Steve »

As with any holster you kind of get used to it and it's very much a personal preference thing. Some guys are leather only guys, and some guys aren't. Some guys like AIWB, some guys like strong side carry. One of my buddies loves the "smart carry holster" which basically puts the gun right in front of your junk; this guy carries a full size pistol with spare double stack mag too! You often hear people talk about having a 'drawer full of old holsters' because it's one of those things you kinda get a feel for by trying it yourself.

I prefer the draw speed and thinness of kydex or kydex leather hybrids, I feel they are faster than new leather. Once you break in your leather holster the draw on it can be nearly as fast though. The only thing I don't like about kydex is that it's not conforming so it can be less comfortable. I had a full kydex CTAC for my Glock 19 for awhile and I found it dug into my body more, having a leather holster or kydex/leather hybrid is more comfortable for me.

I have snaps on one of my OWB revolver holsters. The only time I use snaps is when I OWB carry because I want to be certain I have good retention. With IWB carry your belts and pant act as part of the retention squeezing on your gun. With OWB it's all up to the holster to keep retention. I completely understand not wanting to deal with snaps when trying to draw in an emergency. I'm kinda iffy on the snaps too. But with anything, you really have to train with what you plan to use. Many LEOs have special retention holsters with "lock releases" that have to be disengaged a certain way to draw the gun, so criminals can't steal there gun easily. They just have to train to use it effectively.

A lot of custom holster makers have a trial period so if you don't like the holster you can send it back, Tucker has one and so does Comp-Tac. You'll have to eat the shipping cost though. Another option is to get a used holster off eBay. That's how I got a few holsters. You cans usually find holsters for 20-30% off the normal price and sometimes barely used as they just didn't work for that owner. And if it doesn't work for you, you can also sell it back on eBay for around the same price.

Topic author
vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Steve wrote:As with any holster you kind of get used to it and it's very much a personal preference thing. Some guys are leather only guys, and some guys aren't. Some guys like AIWB, some guys like strong side carry. One of my buddies loves the "smart carry holster" which basically puts the gun right in front of your junk; this guy carries a full size pistol with spare double stack mag too! You often hear people talk about having a 'drawer full of old holsters' because it's one of those things you kinda get a feel for by trying it yourself.

I prefer the draw speed and thinness of kydex or kydex leather hybrids, I feel they are faster than new leather. Once you break in your leather holster the draw on it can be nearly as fast though. The only thing I don't like about kydex is that it's not conforming so it can be less comfortable. I had a full kydex CTAC for my Glock 19 for awhile and I found it dug into my body more, having a leather holster or kydex/leather hybrid is more comfortable for me.

I have snaps on one of my OWB revolver holsters. The only time I use snaps is when I OWB carry because I want to be certain I have good retention. With IWB carry your belts and pant act as part of the retention squeezing on your gun. With OWB it's all up to the holster to keep retention. I completely understand not wanting to deal with snaps when trying to draw in an emergency. I'm kinda iffy on the snaps too. But with anything, you really have to train with what you plan to use. Many LEOs have special retention holsters with "lock releases" that have to be disengaged a certain way to draw the gun, so criminals can't steal there gun easily. They just have to train to use it effectively.

A lot of custom holster makers have a trial period so if you don't like the holster you can send it back, Tucker has one and so does Comp-Tac. You'll have to eat the shipping cost though. Another option is to get a used holster off eBay. That's how I got a few holsters. You cans usually find holsters for 20-30% off the normal price and sometimes barely used as they just didn't work for that owner. And if it doesn't work for you, you can also sell it back on eBay for around the same price.
Thanks for your reply Steve,

I'm cautious about using an IWB holster, I just feel like it would be uncomfortable. I may end up getting one to try out one day and see how it feels. When I took my LTC class they had a kydex/leather hybrid I though about buying but I didn't end up going with that one. My wife saw the GLS at a store we were at and I liked the feel so I ended up buying it. So far so good, after I get my license I'll post more about how my "walks" go. Until them I'm stuck to and from the car or inside my apartment.

I never thought about getting one from E-Bay, that may be a good idea to look around. I saw a few holsters that would work well for LEO w/ special rentention like you said. Like any other holster I would have to practice to get used to.

Thanks again for your input.
Vence

mulfjohn
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mulfjohn »

Try Alien Gear. Great holsters for both OWB and IWB. Has a good warranty and customer service. Have had both for a couple of years now and they both look like they are brand new. OWB fits close to the body and hard to detect from casual view. It is also a retention type holster. Both are adjustable for cant,retention and height. :thewave

Return to “New to CHL?”