Deadly Force Seminar on Friday, Sept 28

Announcements, questions and comments about this year's event!

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Mithras61
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Mithras61 »

CHLSteve wrote:Ugh! Wish we knew about the open seats sooner!

BTW--I have my CVCL, so I might be bringing my concealed video camera into the next event. Guns yes, but no video cameras? You guys are silly.
CHLSteve, I'm pleased for you that you will never have to worry about your employer, family, friends or neighbors learning about you having a CHL or about your affinity for shooting sports. Not everyone is so fortunate.

Some of us are a little sensitive to being photographed for reasons, such as the relative ease with which identities seem to be stolen, employment concerns, political concerns, and so on. I disagree strongly that asking that others NOT take video or photos of you is silly. I think it's a little rash to allow relative strangers to take video or photos of you and post them wherever they like.

FWIW, I did take some photos on Saturday, but they are primarily of my son and a couple of instructors that were helping him out. Even after it was cleared that the photos could be taken, I still made a concerted effort to not include others in the frame simply because I didn't have release forms from them allowing the photographing. These are for my personal collection, and will only be shared if the other people in the photograph can have their identity concealed and protected.

CHLSteve
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CHLSteve »

Well I certainly didn't mean to step on any nerves here, but I guess I forgot where I was... I don't intend to put pictures/video of ANY of you on display anywhere, ever. I don't intend to out anyone as a CHL holder. OK?

On a side note, if you don't think that you are already on video pretty much everywhere you go, you are mistaken. From the city of Houston's eyes in the sky, to the pedestrian's camera phone, to your neighbors surveillance system--you're pretty much "caught" every single day. The pictures coming to light just depend if you happen to be doing something interesting at the time or not.

My suggestion was for a recording--not of the crowd, but of the instruction, which I assumed was valuable, and something that would benefit more people than could fit into the space provided. It could even be an audio-only recording, but I guess that was a bad idea.

Mithras61
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Mithras61 »

I don't think its so much about being on video generally as it is about being on video while participating in shooting sports and/or participating in activities specific to a CHLer. It is also about respecting other peoples' right to their privacy as much as we cn in a time where privacy is a relatively rare thing. After all, this isn't the Truman Show... ;-)

Return to “2007 TexasCHLforum Day”