Purse holsters a/k/a "gun purses"

Announcements, questions and comments about this year's event!

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Purse holsters a/k/a "gun purses"

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Part of the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home includes instruction on using and drawing from a holster purse a/k/a "gun purse." I am considering offering a shorter clinic on using these purses. Please let me know if you are interested.

Chas.

MrsFosforos
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MrsFosforos »

I would be interested and I don't carry a purse!! I am wondering if there may be men who might also be interested.

Mr Fos carries a Maxpedition most of the time. I'm guessing there are other guys out there who might be interested in practicing safe methods of drawing from a bag. Hey, if they already carry in a man-purse, surely they aren't afraid of expressing their feminine sides!

swiven

Post by swiven »

I'd be interested.

I would particularly like to know about the different styles possible, and how and whether to modify your regular purse. I've seen these purses at gun shows, but don't find them to be very self explanatory at all (e.g. I am pretty sure it would take me 1.5 hours to draw from one; is it possible to just shoot through your purse?) And there appear to be several methods of affixing the firearm in the bag. Some discussion of zippers vs velcro and locking vs non-locking compartments would be cool as well.

I realize this is some super-basic stuff, but that's where I am on the whole purse carry thing right now.

GlockenHammer

Re: Purse holsters a/k/a "gun purses"

Post by GlockenHammer »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Part of the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home includes instruction on using and drawing from a holster purse a/k/a "gun purse." I am considering offering a shorter clinic on using these purses. Please let me know if you are interested.

Chas.
Do you want to be a guest instructor at the drawing clinic, or make this a separate affair? I would be interested from an instructional standpoint and I'm sure choppedliver would be interested.

LedJedi
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LedJedi »

i'm always up for folks going to more training.

The wife and I have had this discussion a few times now and we've both pretty much come to the conclusion that gun purses are a bad idea.

It seems that of all the things a female might get assaulted for, purse snatching is certainly near the top of the list. In such an event the whole objective is to get the purse away from you. If you should let your guard down even momentarily that creates an opening for someone to successfully nab your purse. Should that occur you've not only given them your personal info, cash and other treasures you're carrying around with you but you've also just armed a criminal (who in turn, has just un-knowingly un-armed you).

Certainly some purse snatchings are more confrontational where someone approaches you and demands your purse. At that moment you still have control of the purse and can draw the weapon, but there are also a great number of purse snatchings that happen in such a manner that the purse is out of your control before you're even aware of the situation. These are the situations of concern.

It seems the logical conclusion therefore is not to use your purse for a holster. The weapon should be concealed directly on your person.

It is also plausible to argue that the mode and method of dress, especially for women, does not always easily lend to a direct concealment on person. In those situations though you must weigh fashion vs personal defense in my mind. Fashion will never win that argument in my meatball. The mode of dress must be adjusted to facilitate security.

That being said, if you're gonna carry that way anyway, training is GREAT!

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

swiven wrote:I'd be interested.

I would particularly like to know about the different styles possible, and how and whether to modify your regular purse. I've seen these purses at gun shows, but don't find them to be very self explanatory at all (e.g. I am pretty sure it would take me 1.5 hours to draw from one; is it possible to just shoot through your purse?) And there appear to be several methods of affixing the firearm in the bag. Some discussion of zippers vs velcro and locking vs non-locking compartments would be cool as well.

I realize this is some super-basic stuff, but that's where I am on the whole purse carry thing right now.
I will cover everything you mentioned, with the exception of modifying a regular purse. The purses used during the NRA instructor certification course were all gun-purses and a fanny pack or two. The gun is held in a compartment separate from everything else and is accessed through a zipper or velcro strip. None of the drills taught would work with a "top-loader" purse; i.e. a regular purse that requires you to bring your gun out of the top, after rummaging around through the keys, makeup, spare change, gum rappers, hair brush, checkbook, Chapstick, baby-wipes, etc. I’ll try to get my wife to let me bring a few of her Galco purses for people who don’t have a gun-purse. You can bet I’ll be carrying them in a brown paper bag!! Anyone who chuckles gets shot.

Chas.
Last edited by Charles L. Cotton on Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

LedJedi wrote:The wife and I have had this discussion a few times now and we've both pretty much come to the conclusion that gun purses are a bad idea. . . .

It seems the logical conclusion therefore is not to use your purse for a holster. The weapon should be concealed directly on your person.

In those situations though you must weigh fashion vs personal defense in my mind. Fashion will never win that argument in my meatball. The mode of dress must be adjusted to facilitate security.
I agree wholeheartedly! My wife and I have been having that argument for 34 years and I've been losing that argument for 34 years. She will either carry a gun in her purse, or none at all. I've talked to many other women over the years that feel the same way. So when I teach the purse drills, it's after saying, "you really shouldn't carry this way, but . . ."

Chas.

LedJedi
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LedJedi »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
LedJedi wrote:The wife and I have had this discussion a few times now and we've both pretty much come to the conclusion that gun purses are a bad idea. . . .

In those situations though you must weigh fashion vs personal defense in my mind. Fashion will never win that argument in my meatball. The mode of dress must be adjusted to facilitate security.
I agree wholeheartedly! My wife and I have been having that argument for 34 years and I've been losing that argument for 34 years. She will either carry a gun in her purse, or none at all. I've talked to many other women over the years that feel the same way. So when I teach the purse drills, it's after saying, "you really shouldn't carry this way, but . . ."

Chas.
HA!

ok, i was just wondering if other folks saw that logic too or maybe i was missing something?

we have the ongoing argument over the toilet seat lid, so i can understand.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: Purse holsters a/k/a "gun purses"

GlockenHammer wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Part of the NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home includes instruction on using and drawing from a holster purse a/k/a "gun purse." I am considering offering a shorter clinic on using these purses. Please let me know if you are interested.

Chas.
Do you want to be a guest instructor at the drawing clinic, or make this a separate affair? I would be interested from an instructional standpoint and I'm sure choppedliver would be interested.
I'm thinking about doing it as an impromptu clinic. It will be shorter than the regular shooting clinics and I suspect it will be dry-fire only. Another option would be to do it in the Blue Building with red guns, but I'd rather not have to work around the Blue Building's seminar schedule.

Chas.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

LedJedi wrote:It seems that of all the things a female might get assaulted for, purse snatching is certainly near the top of the list.
That is a valid concern.

However, to begin with situational awareness can prevent a purse snatching. They often occur in crowds when the victim is distracted, talking on a cell phone, or focused on something.

It's also important for every woman who is frequently a pedestrian or uses public transportation to use a shoulder bag with a strong strap and keep a firm hold on it.

- Jim

CompVest
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CompVest »

Charles,

I would be happy to have you demonstrate after my Presentation. I could keep mine to 40-45 minutes.

cmbrust

Post by cmbrust »

I would be interested. I am still looking at different options on how to carry. Thanks,

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

CompVest wrote:Charles,

I would be happy to have you demonstrate after my Presentation. I could keep mine to 40-45 minutes.
Don't cut your presentation short, but if there is any time left, that would be a good time to demonstrate the drills to practice. If there isn't time, I could work it in during the day.

Chas.

CompVest
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CompVest »

Thought it would fit in as an ending for my presentaion plus the ladies would be present already. Guys are welcome of course.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

CompVest wrote:Thought it would fit in as an ending for my presentaion plus the ladies would be present already. Guys are welcome of course.
Okay, we'll do it that way. I'll be sure we have some "red guns" for the ladies to use.

Chas.

Return to “2007 TexasCHLforum Day”