Pistol Safety Course--Friendswood, TX

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
GlockenHammer
Posts in topic: 2

Pistol Safety Course--Friendswood, TX

Post by GlockenHammer »

I have two ladies that are looking for the most basic pistol safety class. These are brand-new to guns gals and want to know how they work, how to be safe with them and how to fire them. My wife (choppedliver) took a similar class at PSC many years ago and she highly recommends this first step. Does anyone know of any offerings in the area?

Thanks,
GH

LarryH
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pistol Safety Course--Friendswood, TX

Post by LarryH »

CompVest and Sharon Varbles hold a ladies-only class on the first Saturday of each month, from approx 0830 until approx 1200.

As my wife says, "They begin with 'This is a pistol. Here's where you hold it and here's where the bullet comes out.' and proceed from there."

The cost is $10 for PSC members and $15 for non-members.

Ladies who have their own pistols already can use them; for those who don't, Ruger Mark III .22s are available. Donna and Sharon also provide ammo, holster and belt, eye and ear protection, all at no extra charge.

Husbands/boyfriends are welcome to help set up and tear down, but are banished to another range when the teaching starts.

I'm pretty sure the PSC web site has more details.

Edit: yep, right here

http://www.psc-range.com/index.php?opti ... ca/Chicago" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

+1 for the Women's Program at PSC. I was hooked after the first time I attended and I try to attend every month. I have learned so much! Donna, Sharon and Mary are terrific. Even though we're out there for 3 hours, the time just flies by. I have seen some ladies come out who are scared to shoot but have the desire to learn about shooting. They all leave grinning from ear to ear and proud of their accomplishment.

It's a great program that I would highly recommend to ladies of any shooting skill level. Even if you're experienced, it's good to practice the basics.

I would also recommend Marc Gentine's NRA Basic Pistol Course that he teaches at PSC. I learned a lot in that class as well.

T
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

The next class will be November 7th, 9 AM to noon. Sign-in starts at 8:30 AM.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

TraCoun

Post by TraCoun »

I do Basic Pistol classes, and I have done several ladies only BP classes. Anyone interested let me know.
Also, I did a ladies only NRA Personal Protection In the Home class a couple months ago - let me know if you would be interested in one of those.
Thanx,
TraCoun

Topic author
GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

I guess that I assumed that the women's program did not start at that basic of a level each month. Shame on me. I have encouraged choppedliver to go, but maybe having a friend in need will convince her to give it a try. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I think choppedliver started with the NRA basic pistol program now that I think of it. TraCoun, I found a description here, but the schedule link did not seem to work...

TraCoun

Post by TraCoun »

GlockenHammer wrote:I guess that I assumed that the women's program did not start at that basic of a level each month. Shame on me. I have encouraged choppedliver to go, but maybe having a friend in need will convince her to give it a try. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I think choppedliver started with the NRA basic pistol program now that I think of it. TraCoun, I found a description here, but the schedule link did not seem to work...
GlockenHammer,
I just saw this post. The schedule and registration is now under the Class Registration link.
BTW, if anyone is still interested, I have a Ladies' Basic Pistol on January 16, 2010.
Thanx,
TraCoun

allinhtown

Post by allinhtown »

Does this Pistol Safety Course still occur? My girlfriend is completely new to guns, and I think it would be a great course for her to get introduced to it

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

allinhtown wrote:Does this Pistol Safety Course still occur? My girlfriend is completely new to guns, and I think it would be a great course for her to get introduced to it
Absolutely does! Normally the first Saturday of every month from 9:00 to noon. It's a great class for women taught by a woman. I'm not sure what's happening for the first Saturday in July since that's July 4th weekend. Compvest is a forum moderator so I'm sure she'll weigh in here and let us know.

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

TLynnHughes wrote:
allinhtown wrote:Does this Pistol Safety Course still occur? My girlfriend is completely new to guns, and I think it would be a great course for her to get introduced to it
Absolutely does! Normally the first Saturday of every month from 9:00 to noon. It's a great class for women taught by a woman. I'm not sure what's happening for the first Saturday in July since that's July 4th weekend. Compvest is a forum moderator so I'm sure she'll weigh in here and let us know.

T.
+1 on these classes. Our own Compvest from the forum is a wonderful instructor and I would highly recommend any class she is teaching to male or female, but especially females. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Thank you guys!

We are planning on running the PSC class in July.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Return to “Ladies”