A strange question for you moms..

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 6

A strange question for you moms..

Post by Venus Pax »

My daughter is breastfed.
Prior to late pregnancy, I wore my gun IWB at about 4 o'clock on the right. This was never a problem (other than comfort).

Now, when the right side of my shirt is up from nursing from the right breast, it makes my gun visible.

I try to get seated in booths when we go to restaurants, or at least tables where I can sit with my back to the wall, but this isn't always possible.

I have an udder cover, but it only covers the front of me while breastfeeding.

And ideas on how to hide both my breasts and my gun while breastfeeding in public?

TIA.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Re: A strange question for you moms..

Post by Crossfire »

Shirts with buttons. So you can unbutton from the top instead of pulling it up from the bottom.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I've found it harder to breastfeed with shirts with buttons... I've found that I actually expose more of myself vs. pulling a shirt up since the baby covers my mid section. (And I wear an udder cover anyway.) Also, I'm having trouble finding button-down shirts that fit since my bust is larger now due to lactation.

I can try it, but don't have much in the way of button-downs that will fit.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

The good news is now the weather is getting cooler you will be able to wear sweaters or light jacts to help with the concealment.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

TLynnHughes
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TLynnHughes »

It's been about a bazillion years since I nursed, so I'm sure things have changed. But I had a couple of shirts with openings for nursing built into button up pockets. Those shirts were amazing and I wore them out! They were cut full across the chest just for the increased bust size and I didn't have to take anything off to nurse. Just open the secret flap and away you go. I didn't have to lift a shirt or even feel self-conscious. But I don't know if they even make those shirts anymore.

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I think they still make those, TLynn, but they're expensive.

Some of the women in my breastfeeding group wear nursing tanks (also expensive) under their shirts, but when it's summer, it's much too hot for that.

I'll probably try CompVest's advice (light jackets/sweaters) now that it's cooler, but need to come up with a solution for when it gets hot again.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

How about a secondary cover? Just something that stays draped over your gun when you are in feeding mode, like a diaper or some small piece of cloth that just serves to innocently obscure it.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

A-R

Post by A-R »

May I just applaud you ladies for your commitment not only to CC but also to breastfeeding and making it all work somehow. My hat is truly off to you :tiphat:

Watched my wife struggle with breastfeeding both of our babies, neither took to it in the end. So I know how difficult it can be.

Anyway, just wanted to share that.

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

It's not as accessible, but I've started keeping the gun in the diaper bag.
When going to a mall (not that I go often), I wear it in the waistband, then put it in the diaper bag when I get in the mall, and put it back on my hip before leaving.
Works somewhat.

ETA: Thank you, Austin. Breastfeeding did not start out easy for me either. It's been quite a road.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Hey VP we need updated baby pictures. :rules:
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

:iagree:
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

GrayGhost

Post by GrayGhost »

jimlongley wrote:How about a secondary cover? Just something that stays draped over your gun when you are in feeding mode, like a diaper or some small piece of cloth that just serves to innocently obscure it.
My thought as well. In fact, when I carry concealed with a jacket, I can go to a restaraunt, pull off the jacket (left arm first), slide the jacket down my right side and drape it over my carry gun. I can do this without missing a beat and keeping the firearm concealed the whole time.

LoneStarDuguid

Post by LoneStarDuguid »

I have seen breastfeeding covers that are longer at Babies R Us that might work. I am glad that you asked this question because I am pregnant and was wondering what I was going to do when I was breastfeeding my kiddo. I am so glad I am not the only one wondering about it. :seeya:

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

This is an older thread so VP probably has found plenty of other solutions, but as there is a new poster and fellow mom, I'll post this now. Welcome, Duguid! Congratulations on the baby!

Styles of nursing tops. You can see that some styles of nursing tops keep the midriff and waistline covered while allowing complete coverage of the chest as well with a breastfeeding baby, like this style:

While they can be expensive to purchase new (this is $24.95 and that site currently ranges from $15 to $43), you can check thrift stores, children's resale shops, maternity clearance racks, your local La Leche league for those who might be interested in selling or passing on tops, Craigslist, FreeCycle, and many other locations to get a handful of options at little to no cost. You can also put them on a baby registry if you'll have one.

The tail end of a baby carrier like a sling or wrap would drape over it nicely. A shawl, scarf, burp cloth, or receiving blanket can all function the same way. You could also use the smart carry to carry completely below the waistline.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Congrats on your up-coming arrival, LoneStarDuguid!

Here's how I ended up doing things....

Target sells a Mossimo brand tank that goes on sale for $6 occasionally. I try to get them in as many neutral colors as I can, and a few that coordinate with other tops. They are verrrrry stretchy, so I can simply pull the top part beneath the currently used breast (along with the cup-panel of the nursing bra), and then it easily pulls back into place when she's done nursing. I fought the idea of an undershirt, but this is truly the best solution so that half of my back isn't exposed, regardless of whether I wear my weapon or not.

With this system, I simply lift the top shirt, but pull the undershirt down from the scoop-neck. With the dark colored tanks, I can still hide a gun if I'm sitting in a chair that will somewhat obstruct the view. (Not so if the shirt is white, however.)

Also, different stores online sell nursing ponchos that cover you all the way around. However, I stopped using nursing covers when Hannah started fighting me on them. It actually drew more attention than just covering my breast with the drape of the top shirt.

Return to “Ladies”