Advice in picking out right gun/pistol for my needs

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
BMWGSRider
Posts in topic: 10

Advice in picking out right gun/pistol for my needs

Post by BMWGSRider »

I am a female and new to the forums and hope I am posting in the proper place and if not please direct me to proper forum... sorry in advance.

I just recently took my CHL class and am awaiting for my birthday to roll around before I apply for my CHL. I borrowed a gun to use for the class as I have not purchased one as of yet.

I am looking/seeking advice on what gun/pistol that maybe right for me. I am 4' 11" about 130 lbs athletic built. I am petite and have very tiny hands.

I do not plan to carry all the time on my person but mainly be able to carry while traveling as I travel alone. When I travel, I travel long distance on a motorcycle. I am looking for a possible gun that I may start out with that will fit me properly especially my tiny hands and being able to conceal on my person with my petite stature. I am also wanting one that will suit me best as well for traveling/carrying on the motorcycle for when I travel long distance.

I know there are many different types, makes, and models... I just not sure which gun to start researching to find the right one for me. I am sure a lot of guns will be trying until you find one you like... but I am sure those who have a lot of knowledge and so forth in diff pistols and sizes will help to start guide me in the correct direction for a small gun that may suit my needs to start out with until I am able to gain more knowledge about all the diff sizes, makes, and models of all the guns that are out there.

Thanks so much in advance.

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Advice in picking out right gun/pistol for my needs

Post by MoJo »

A lot of people will recommend a small semi auto like the KelTec P3AT, Ruger LCP, and others. The problem with these they are not comfortable to shoot and are really too small. Look at one of the compact 9mm pistols on the market. The Smith and Wesson M&P with interchangeable grips is a great choice. My wife has one of the full size M&Ps with the small grip I haven't seen any woman who has tried it that didn't like it. The XDm and Beretta Px4 Storm have interchangeable grips also and are great guns. There are also small 1911 style pistols but often the grip size is difficult for someone with small hands. Don't forget the small revolvers many women find them to be ideal with the proper grips.

Do your research, try before you buy, and get additional training.

Good luck.

edit: dang I forgot, welcome to the forum!
Last edited by MoJo on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

USA1

Post by USA1 »

BMWGSRider wrote: I am looking/seeking advice on what gun/pistol that maybe right for me. I am 4' 11" about 130 lbs athletic built. I am petite and have very tiny hands.
I think a Desert Eagle should do it. :mrgreen:

Just Kidding...Welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

Actually, MoJo gave some very good advice above. ;-)
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Dagnabitblah

Post by Dagnabitblah »

+1 to Mojo, look at a hammerless revolver or a compact. Sub-compact was too small for my wife. Ruger SR9c, XDm, and other compacts are good choices as well. The most important thing is to try before you buy. Rent a revolver, borrow a friends Glock or Ruger, but be sure you like the feel and selection because you may have to trust your life with it and you want it to work right for you. My wife ended up with a XDm 9mm and Ruger LCR after trying several options.

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

BMWGSRider wrote:I am looking/seeking advice on what gun/pistol that maybe right for me. I am 4' 11" about 130 lbs athletic built. I am petite and have very tiny hands.
And you ride a GS? :shock: _ Hats off to ya! :tiphat: And welcome to the forum.

You already got some good advice about trying before you buy, and not assuming a mouse gun is the answer - much like not assuming a 250cc bike is the answer. The handgun should fit your hands, but these days with changeable backstraps, you have a lot more options than a decade ago. As mentioned, the M&P is very popular in some circles for precisely that reason.

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

My best advice is to shoot and handle as many guns as you can, even the ones you don't think you're going to like at first glance. Go to a well-stocked gun shop and handle every gun they have. The ones that flat won't work will present themselves as soon as you grab hold of them!

Then see if you can find a range that rents guns. Shoot the ones you like (or even the ones you "don't hate") and see what happens.

And don't let anyone talk you into or out of any calibers because of your size, stature, or sex. Within reason, everything's controllable and effective--at least within the common defense rounds.

As far as the old "which gun is right for me?" question...well, I say it's like a fine guitar. Play as many as you can, and then buy the one you fall in love with.

Of course that advice has cost me a lot of money over the years...I tend to fall in love with guns and guitars easily :mrgreen:
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

cbunt1 wrote:I tend to fall in love with guns and guitars easily :mrgreen:
That's because they're so lovable:

I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Welcome !!!

I can't add a lot, guns are like shoes, what fits me may not fit you.

1) I'd go to stores, hold a lot, see what fits your hand

2) Try the several at the range

3) realize that what ammo you use will affect your perception of "recoil"

Google with the quotes ...... Amarillo "gun rentals"

--------------------
Explanation of "3) realize that what ammo you use will affect your perception of "recoil""

If recoil is a problem at all, (for some it is, some it isn't)
I tried a 10mm with full power ammo once, fired it twice, it hurt, later they made low recoil ammo,...)

Generally, these 3 "variables" affect your second/followup sight picture acquisition time, and felt recoil
A) Heavier bullets and B) "hotter" +P rounds in C) lighter weight guns will mean more felt or perceived recoil.

A) Lighter bullets and B) "slower/regular" rounds in C) heavier weight guns will mean LESS felt or perceived recoil.

A .40 in a full-sized pistol is manageable for me, but in the small pistols there's less area of my hand behind the grip so it "feels" snappier

I carry a fat subcompact 9mm, it actually has less "felt" recoil than some of the thin .380s I retired to storage.

Also, you will find that you are much more accurate with some than others, your hand will like certain "grip angles" better than others,

Also, the "right" gun, and carry options for you, will depend on what clothing styles you wear, and I, (and many others) changed clothing styles to meet the needs of my carrying (hint: shopping trip :mrgreen: )
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I cant add much too what has been said. I would think a hammerless revolver could be the answer. Concealment on a bike is the problem. Hard to holster due to wind bowing your shirt or jacket up (had this happen once). If you weat a vest or jacket most of the time, look for one with an inner pocket. My vest and light jacket both have an inner pocket and When I wear my heavy jacket I have the vest on over it. These pockets will, in most cases, hold a full size auto. I carry a 1911 or XD45.

Then there are the pocket guns. As stated above, the P3AT is an effective choice but very uncomfortable to shoot. I am a large man and it flat hurts my trigger finger to shot it. But my wife is small in stature and it does not bother her as much. The problem with a pocket pistol is accessability. If you wear protective pants or chaps, it is difficult to get to a pocket pistol.

But above all, get something you feel comfotable shooting and carrying. Try several before you buy.

Good luck, welcome to the forum, and keep the rubber side down.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

BMWGSrider:

Welcome, Ms. shootist! We forum members are happy to welcome you
to our gun nut/gun enthusiast community!!

Many good recommendations have been made above. You may find that
a gun salesperson will talk you into a .380 caliber semi-automatic since that's
the "proper gun for a gal". A .380 may be the gun for you, but moving higher
in caliber would give you more threat-stopping ability.

Make sure that when you actually go for your CHL that you use a semi-automatic
to qualify. Texas CHL law is pretty liberal, but remember that if you qualify
with a revolver, you will be restricted to "revolver only" carry once you have your
plastic.

You will find that guns are like shoes. You like one pair, but then you will find
other guns that also feel good in your hand and shoot well.

Glocks are a very popular, high quality brand, but it is also a brand that feels
unnatural to many people's hands due to a grip angle which is quite different from
many other brands of pistol. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Happy hunting. Let us know, by continuing to comment on this thread, what guns
you have tried, your opinions, and what you finally get.

Happy trails. Don't be a stranger.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

MrsFosforos

Post by MrsFosforos »

We both ride, and here's a couple of options we use.

Our friend Robert in San Antonio (mecopocketholsters.com) made this holster and attached it a panel of leather to use in a vest pocket - so stays easily accessible and doesn't fall to the bottom of the pocket. I sent an outline of the pocket dimensions and he made this for my husband.

Drawing from the pocket

Here it is - holster & panel inserted and pocket all zipped up:
Unzipped, the holster sits in the perfect positon for easy access

The holster is positioned on the panel so it is aligns with the zipper opening, so he can reach in, and draw easily.

He also made me an IWB holster and provided me with a removeable panel - so I can use it IWB or use it with the panel = which allows the holster to stay upright & in place when I use cargo pants pockets or if I want to carry it in a messenger bag.

Robert specializes in custom pocket holsters for many models and if you end up with something he has a mold for - call him up or email him - he will work with you to make something you'd like.

Topic author
BMWGSRider

Post by BMWGSRider »

Thanks for all the wonderful advice as I will use all the advice that was given in my research for the right gun for me.

I have already qualified and did qualify with a semi-automatic.

I don't mean to be "dumb" but for those who mention try before buy... how do you try before you buy? I did not think there was a way to try a gun out before you buy one. Or when you say try before you buy meaning to find a gun range that will rent guns?

Thanks for all the welcomes... I never got an email notification to replies... are you suppose to get email notifications on replies or no?

Thanks again for sharing you'll knowledge.

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

BMWGSRider wrote:I don't mean to be "dumb" but for those who mention try before buy... how do you try before you buy? I did not think there was a way to try a gun out before you buy one. Or when you say try before you buy meaning to find a gun range that will rent guns?
Rentals are one way. If you've handled many handguns and found a few that feel good in your hand, sometimes people are willing to meet new shooters at a range and let them try their guns, especially if you offer to supply the (factory) ammo you will shoot.
BMWGSRider wrote:Thanks for all the welcomes... I never got an email notification to replies... are you suppose to get email notifications on replies or no?
Only if you "Subscribe topic" (see the bottom of the page)

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...welcome and glad you're going for your CHL...the times demand it...
...I would like you to try a steel-frame 2" Jframe Smith&Wesson .38...the size hides well...with Pachmayr Compac grips available online you'll have a small but controllable grip...the smaller, slick grips are cute but hard to hold under recoil...the airweight/Ti models will smack you real hard and you might not shoot them as much or as well...you can use the best rounds in the steel-framed M60, M36, M649, etc and they're pleasant to practice with...I also advise a hammer model...they're not any harder to conceal and give you the option to cock the weapon for longer, more precise shots if necessary...the used market should yield a good one...check your larger pawnshops and gunstores...the new ones are way overpriced...

Topic author
BMWGSRider

Post by BMWGSRider »

cbr600 wrote:
BMWGSRider wrote:I don't mean to be "dumb" but for those who mention try before buy... how do you try before you buy? I did not think there was a way to try a gun out before you buy one. Or when you say try before you buy meaning to find a gun range that will rent guns?
Rentals are one way. If you've handled many handguns and found a few that feel good in your hand, sometimes people are willing to meet new shooters at a range and let them try their guns, especially if you offer to supply the (factory) ammo you will shoot.
BMWGSRider wrote:Thanks for all the welcomes... I never got an email notification to replies... are you suppose to get email notifications on replies or no?
Only if you "Subscribe topic" (see the bottom of the page)
Thank you!

Return to “Ladies”