"Friendly Advice" - REALLY?

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 2

"Friendly Advice" - REALLY?

Post by Divided Attention »

** disclaimer - this is not meant to be disrespectful to LEO's in any way shape or form, or imply that this is how I feel all LEO's feel about CHL's, firearms and women, as I am well aware it is not. This is just an example of the uninformed, biased opinions that are still out there LEO or not.**

Hubby and I spent the weekend becoming certified as 4-H pistol coaches - very excited to get to work with youth!! In our class was a "reserve LEO". Of course the subject of CHL came up and he said "my advice to any woman that asks me about carrying a gun is it is a better idea to get a two shot tazer. They are safer for everyone, more sure, cheaper and better for a woman". I said my "Dear Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth" prayer, and waited. The only other woman in the pistol class said really, how do you figure that, and he went on to say he would much rather face a man with a gun than a woman, because a woman was just going to shoot you or herself or both or someone else too. He went on to add how a tazer would give you 5 minutes to call the police, (I even asked if it was so you could beat feet out of there, and he said no) and if you needed longer you had the second zap. Well, that was all I could take. I told him he needed to do a bit more research on tazers as they don't always stop the attacker.

He wondered why anyone would get their CHL when you could carry all the same places under MPA. He asked where would your carry that you can't carry under MPA - to which we answered MANY places. He listed that you couldn't carry in airports, courthouses or any place that sells alcohol. I told him he might want to research that topic as well, because as long as is is not >51% that was not true. The discussion went on to show his misunderstanding of CHL law in many areas.

He made sure we all knew about the "60 hours of firearms training" he got in the academy, and then both ladies went on to outshoot him - but I am not being catty.... the other lady and I also discussed how we each had more than 60 hours of training, just in the past year.

It was not just him, there were many misconceptions about CHL law flying around, both by those with and without CHL. That being said, my Colt snubby and I sat through more than 18 hours of class and shooting with no one the wiser me quite comfy, and learned a lot about teaching youth about firearms - specifically pistols.

Thanks for letting me vent - and the quest continues to encourage people to become educated.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: "Friendly Advice" - REALLY?

Post by n5wd »

You'll find it in every endeavor... someone who's sure they know more than anyone else.... because.....
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The average LEOs knowledge of CHL laws can at times be a little shocking, but after nearly 10 years of carrying myself and speaking to dozens of CHLs and LEOs I'm convinced the level of ignorance of these laws is about equal. I wasn't necessarily including anyone from this forum, but even here we see examples of the average person's ignorance, misconceptions, and misinterpretations all the time. I consider myself far from being an expert in this area, but I am sometimes amazed at how much more I know than some folks I would have thought knew better when I do find out they have their license.

Thanks very much to this forum for most of that knowledge. :tiphat:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jdlott74

Post by jdlott74 »

Sounds like that LEO needs to go back through some schooling on CHL and figure out if he had a women getting attacked would he rather her have a tazer or a gun to kill the guy, instead of her being killed herself before HE got there. No, Not all LEO feel this way. My husband is former military and in the police academy to be a LEO and feels like I should have a gun of my own to protect my self because he can't always be there and KNOWS the response time for LEO.
My CHL Application
10/23/2010 -- CHL class
10/25/2010 - Quals and Fingerprinting Done
11/3/2010 -- Application mailed to DPS
11/9/2010 -- Received at DPS
12/18/2010 -- Plastic in hand

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Divided Attention wrote: "reserve LEO"
I think I found the problem ;-)

Honestly, that LEO sounds like he's woefully misinformed and a little too misogynistic. I could just imagine the scenario that would have ensued if my daughter (also an LEO) would have been there. She might have tasered him out of spite. And in the words of Larry the Cable Guy, "I don't care who you are, that right there is funny" "rlol"
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Topic author
Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

We (the other lady and I) had many discussions about how ANYONE that chooses to carry a firearm should continue their training as much as possible, and keep current on laws etc. It is not a decision to be taken lightly, or a "magic charm" that you are safe if you carry. The firearm is a tool to give you an option you didn't have before, but it is not always the tool of choice.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Divided Attention wrote:We (the other lady and I) had many discussions about how ANYONE that chooses to carry a firearm should continue their training as much as possible, and keep current on laws etc. It is not a decision to be taken lightly, or a "magic charm" that you are safe if you carry. The firearm is a tool to give you an option you didn't have before, but it is not always the tool of choice.
VERY NICELY SAID! :thumbs2:

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

I'm sorry, i got caught up on his ignorance regarding the 51% law. I can carry in a liquor store all day long. the 51% law specifically prohibits handguns from businesses where alcohol is sold if 51% or more of their revenue is from the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

That guy is a moron. He probably got picked up as a reserve because it's so cool to tell your friends you're a cop.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Reminds me of when I was a kid and hauled a drawer-full of shooting badges out and asked my Dad what he got them for...he got highly annoyed and stated, "those aren't mine, they are your Mothers".
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

papajohn1964

Post by papajohn1964 »

Maybe he needs to spend 60 hours reading the post on here!!!
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Purplehood wrote:Reminds me of when I was a kid and hauled a drawer-full of shooting badges out and asked my Dad what he got them for...he got highly annoyed and stated, "those aren't mine, they are your Mothers".
"rlol" classic!!
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

gigag04 wrote:That guy is a moron. He probably got picked up as a reserve because it's so cool to tell your friends you're a cop.
or, like 2 people I know, a career LEO's brother who is a reserve, one who wants mom to be as proud of him as she is of her Policeman son.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...our old Dixie Mafia Commissioner took us in his office a few at a time, and asked us why we wanted to be cops...then told us he was gonna give us a gun and a badge...if we weren't a man when we picked 'em up...they wouldn't make us one when we put 'em on...police work is not for those who are compensating or trying to prove anything to anybody...but the gate ain't been fixed in awhile...

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Purplehood wrote:Reminds me of when I was a kid and hauled a drawer-full of shooting badges out and asked my Dad what he got them for...he got highly annoyed and stated, "those aren't mine, they are your Mothers".
That's funny. My dad readily admits that my mom was a good shot, but he never did say whether or not she was better than him. And mom always said she didn't like shooting. Go figure.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Ladies”