.22 Revolver Recommendation for Lady

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Bullitt
Posts in topic: 1

.22 Revolver Recommendation for Lady

Post by Bullitt »

I'm interested in recommendations for .22 revolvers that will fire .22LR hollow point. This needs to be small for carry iwb. I know the arguments on caliber, etc. , but I gotta get her started on something. Right now slides and kick are an obstacle. Will upgrade her later after some training, familiarity, and comfort level improves.

Thanks!

mamabearCali

Re: .22 Revolver Recommendation for Lady

Post by mamabearCali »

Well a .22 is better than teeth nails and fists. So I say go for it. I know NAA has .22 revolvers, but I have heard they can be a bit snappy (as snappy as a .22 can be).
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

I have a Rugar SR22 that I use to teach first-timers with and also that I use when I'm working on basics(because the ammo is so much cheaper!) I used it to teach an 85 year old woman a few weeks ago. Once she was consistant with that, I moved her to my glock 19---she can rack that slide like a pro!!
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...Taurus makes some .22 snubs...scarce...Smith's are pricier but higher quality...if you can hunt the hock shops and find her a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe, you'll have a good one...round butt with 2 3/8"...square butt(but small) in 4"...9-shot .22 LR...

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

speedsix wrote:...Taurus makes some .22 snubs...scarce...Smith's are pricier but higher quality...if you can hunt the hock shops and find her a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe, you'll have a good one...round butt with 2 3/8"...square butt(but small) in 4"...9-shot .22 LR...
:iagree: Since you are in Houston, check out Collectors Firearms. Their prices are a bit high, but they have Taurus .22LR snubs and well some S&W. Think about a 22WMR as well.
NRA Endowment Member

fickman

Post by fickman »

I'm breaking the rules and not answering your question. . .

Have you tried a .32? My sister carries one, there seem to be plenty of concealed carry options available. I can't speak to the recoil, but I know my sister doesn't like a .40 or 9mm but handles the .32 easily.
Native Texian

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

As long as you are pricing S&W, then you might look at a Ruger SP101. The older ones had a 6 shot .22 with the 2.25 inch barrel. These used to run $600 because they were somewhat rarer. Now Ruger makes a newer 8-shot version, but I'm think these only come with a 4.2 inch barrel.

The SP101 is relatively heavy, and the factory trigger is stiff. Still, I like having/shooting the snub .22 version because it affords cheaper practice for carrying the .357 snub versions.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Taurus, Charter, and Rossi all make snubby revolvers in .22LR, including lightweight models. Most are under $250.

I'd also consider .22 Magnum. Small recoil, but lots of noise and muzzle blast from a 2" barrel.

For the next step up I'd suggest a Taurus .327 Magnum. CDNN has them for $219.95
The good thing about these is you can also shoot .32 H&R Magnum, .32 S&W Long, and even .32 ACP.
The .32 ACP has just enough of a rim to work in a revolver without moon clips.
It has almost no recoil from even a light pistol.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Kensterfly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kensterfly »

If you want to carry a respectable weapon without the hassle of carrying, check out the NAA Minis. Stainless steel, Five shot, single action that you can hide in your front or back pocket, bra, empty cigarette pack or eyeglasses case. Top notch quality and excellent customer service. They make a variety of them, from a 1 5/8" barrel to three or four inches. Mine is convertible so that I can fire LR or Magnums. I keep Magnum hollow points in it. With a little practice you can deliver a 'stop shot' at 15 -20 feet though it really shines as a close up and personal "get off me" gun. Point blank delivery to chest, gut, groin, eye or ear with a .22 magnum hollowpoint should definitely put the brakes on any attack.

My bride does not want to carry but has agreed to start toting my Mini.

http://northamericanarms.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://naaminis.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CHL Class 1/4/14
Fingerprinted 1/13/14
Packet Mailed 1/14/14
System updated _____________ Card Received ______________

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

32 would be a better choice for the car. Watch which revolver you get, some are 32 short. If you get a 32 long revolver it will usually shoot both if it uses the rimed cartridge.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

what about an LCR? they're pretty small....I don't know what the caliber is... 38?

ummm :headscratch (thinking....remembering) ah, there are the gorgeous Charter Arms line of colored revolvers....I'll take one in every color please :drool:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

I highly recommend you take her to a gun range that does rentals. Let her see what is comfortable in her hand before you buy. My Ruger .22lr hates me. My 32 and I are best friends. Lol.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

The S&W 617 snubby in .22 LR is so light it's hard to believe it's a real gun. The Ruger LCR in .22 LR is just a little bigger and heavier. The sights suck on both guns. I'd give the advantage to Ruger because it's easy to change out the front sight with a tritium night sight or other high visibility sight.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

I would recommend the Ruger LCR. It is available in .22LR, and the same size revolver is available when you upgrade to a .38 or .357.

I know you are asking about a .22, but I cannot seriously recommend one for self defense. Upgrade to a .38 Special or 9mm minimum as soon as she is proficient with the .22.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Kensterfly

Post by Kensterfly »

LeonCarr wrote:I would recommend the Ruger LCR. It is available in .22LR, and the same size revolver is available when you upgrade to a .38 or .357.

I know you are asking about a .22, but I cannot seriously recommend one for self defense. Upgrade to a .38 Special or 9mm minimum as soon as she is proficient with the .22.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
As many of know, we can't make our wives carry a gun they do not like, no matter how hard we try to convince them that it's for their own good. In my case, my wife might keep a .38 in her car but she will never carry it. She has readily agreed, however, to carry my NAA Mini .22 mag (hollow points.) I'm okay with that. For now, it's that or nothing.

I agree that if she agreed to carry a larger frame .22, like the 617 or similar, she may as well carry a .38.
CHL Class 1/4/14
Fingerprinted 1/13/14
Packet Mailed 1/14/14
System updated _____________ Card Received ______________

Return to “Ladies”