Left eye dominant, but right handed!

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

mommagamber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Left eye dominant, but right handed!

Post by mommagamber »

Also, right handed and left eye dominate. I see it a lot in women. You learn to adjust your stance. I got a lot of advice from people that thought they had an answer for me even though they don't have the issue. You will figure it out. BTW try shooting left handed. I realized that I shoot better left handed.
I conceal carry because I choose not to be a victim.

Seabear

Post by Seabear »

With handguns I'm not really sure why anyone would make a big deal of it. Over the years I have become left eye dominant and am VERY right handed. Like others have said it really only matters when shooting a shotgun.

Since I wear glasses, my shooting glasses are made with the left lense being set for the distance of the front sight and the right lense for long distance. It works great an makes it easy to see the front sight . I wear them the whole time I am at the range and they work great. I can even use them sitting at the computer.

Now back on topic, I am always amazed when I see people shifting their bodies or their heards to compensate for eye dominance. You don't need to. When you read a book do you cock your head or lean to one side? I doubt it. Your brain knows what to do, and I assure you when you are reading, one eye is doing most of the work.

So relax and go shooting. :thumbs2:
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

Munk

Post by Munk »

My Dad hunted all of his childhood shooting right handed, left eyed. It wasn't until a nice Rifle Instructor at Camp (Ft.) Polk in 1966 explained to him that he was indeed Left Eye dominant. He survived Vietnam '66-'68 shooting crossed over like that and I laugh at him still today when we go to the range. I guess the old saying "Don't fix what ain't broken" comes to mind.
III%

Topic author
CHLLady
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CHLLady »

Munk wrote:My Dad hunted all of his childhood shooting right handed, left eyed. It wasn't until a nice Rifle Instructor at Camp (Ft.) Polk in 1966 explained to him that he was indeed Left Eye dominant. He survived Vietnam '66-'68 shooting crossed over like that and I laugh at him still today when we go to the range. I guess the old saying "Don't fix what ain't broken" comes to mind.
Well it certainly works for your dad! Thank you for the encouragement. Hubby still doesn't believe me though, he thinks it's because I'm a newbie. The great thing I discovered at the range this weekend is that my left eye stays open while shooting. I tried focusing with my right eye and it just squeezed shut on me.

CDGMAC, my instructor plans to work with us on shooting with both eyes open. He talked about BGs having friends that we may not see out of our peripheral vision. Thank you for mentioning it, I will give it a try next time I'm at the range. :thumbs2:
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Return to “Ladies”