Need Carry Advice

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
DLeeCTex
Posts in topic: 2

Need Carry Advice

Post by DLeeCTex »

I could not carry for a long time because the building I was in was connected to a charter school. I no longer am there but working in a very hot environment at a laundry-dry cleaners as a counter clerk.

Right now, I'm using external carry packs but they get in the way with the work that I do. It is too hot and I get too sweaty to use a bra holster of any kind. I'm concerned because it could damage my firearm, so I'm thinking that an IWB or a belly band may be my best options. What about these hybrids? I've heard of them, but not had the opportunity to see what they look like? Ankle or thigh is out because we wear shorts most of the time. The packs I carry aren't bad, but I just have to push them to the back periodically.

I'm in my upper years and definitely not a skinny young thing by any stretch of the imagination. Any suggestions? :headscratch

Thanks,
Debbie

The Annoyed Man

Re: Need Carry Advice

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://thunderwear.com/holsters.asp
Thunderwear was designed by a wearer. It provides a stable platform for the most comfortable, concealed carry possible. We anchor the weight around the hipbones, (not on the soft tissue of your waist). This distributes the weight of your weapon (and extra magazine) evenly around the hips at the center of gravity. The weapon is worn in the front, on the centerline. This way it will not interfere with normal or rigorous activity. When you sit down, the weapon fits down comfortably between your legs. "Sensitive" body parts are behind the bulk of the weapon. Worn on top of the underwear and shirt, but under the trousers. Be as active as you want. You'll never have to adjust your holster.
A fair number of forum members have either this holster, or one very similar to it. IF you regularly clean and lube your gun—not necessarily daily, but with some regularity—you won't have to worry about sweat damaging your gun, and the holster is constructed to help prevent that from happening.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crossfire »

Belly bands are not comfortable in hot environments. They don't breathe, and will definitely make you sweat! Which is not good, as this is my favorite method of carry.

How about a pocket holster? I frequently carry my Sig P238 in a pocket holster, even in jeans, and it does not print.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
DLeeCTex

Post by DLeeCTex »

Thanks for the quick replies. The Thunderwear sounds like a possibility, but some of the work I do puts my front right up against the counter in my movements. I even have holes in my t-shirts from that. I guess I'm confused because I am unable to see the options in front of me as there are no stores or outlets in my area and all I can see is on the internet. I appreciate all responses. I will be looking at and considering the most practical in my work situation.

I suspect that I will be using a variety of carry options depending on the season. I have a Bersa Thunder 380 so I think it might be a bit heavy for pocket carry until I can get something just a little smaller. In fact, my husband has a Jimenez 380 that I am carrying for now because it fits better in the packs I'm wearing. In one pack, it does have the break-away back for the concealed gun, but when I received it in the mail, I realized it was for right-handed carry. I'm a lefty. So I made an adjustment that works. Had to do that all my life, so this wasn't anything different. The description never stated one way or the other or ambidextrous. I adapt.

Thanks to all of you who do reply. I gratefully accept and will consider all suggestions.

Running Arrow Bill

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

DLeeCTex wrote:Thanks for the quick replies. The Thunderwear sounds like a possibility, but some of the work I do puts my front right up against the counter in my movements. I even have holes in my t-shirts from that. I guess I'm confused because I am unable to see the options in front of me as there are no stores or outlets in my area and all I can see is on the internet. I appreciate all responses. I will be looking at and considering the most practical in my work situation.

I suspect that I will be using a variety of carry options depending on the season. I have a Bersa Thunder 380 so I think it might be a bit heavy for pocket carry until I can get something just a little smaller. In fact, my husband has a Jimenez 380 that I am carrying for now because it fits better in the packs I'm wearing. In one pack, it does have the break-away back for the concealed gun, but when I received it in the mail, I realized it was for right-handed carry. I'm a lefty. So I made an adjustment that works. Had to do that all my life, so this wasn't anything different. The description never stated one way or the other or ambidextrous. I adapt.

Thanks to all of you who do reply. I gratefully accept and will consider all suggestions.
Hope you find a suitable holster that works for you! On a sidebar...tell hubby to toss the Jiminez in the trashcan or bury it deep unloaded. Those are junk guns and notorious for malfunctions, jambs, etc. Get a major brand reliable handgun for him. Am sure others will agree...
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

many of my friends (women) use this : http://www.pistolwear.com/ProductDetail ... 1496070781" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I also use it when i sweat @ the gym or running.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

Please check out thewellarmedwoman.com. She has videos of different carry options that she demos different positions possible with each style holster. It's a great resource to help you decide what will work for you.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Also, this website might be useful: http://www.corneredcat.com/article/hols ... his-thing/
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

You've already got two .380's so I hesitate to mention a third but what the heck. I have a Taurus TCP and bought a bulldog case for it. Basically looks like a PDA or large cell phone case. Here is a youtube review. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I bought one from a local gun store and it works great with any outfit or when I know I will have to disarm multiple times that day. I can get out the car and take it off and no one would have any idea it's a firearm. Fits several 380's not just Taurus but it doesn't look like yours are on their list but who knows. Great concept. Not my primary carry but for sure my anywhere carry.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

If you're on your feet all day, working across a counter with your customers, you might consider a small-of-the-back (SoB) holster.
I don't normally recommend these, but for your situation, it might be a good option.

Also consider changing your attire to accommodate concealed carry. Looser shirts (switching from a t-shirt to a looser fitting button-down works magic for CC).
And a good belt is a MUST... You can get a very good nylon belt for about $40... I like THIS one..

Carrying in shorts should not be a problem if you're flexible about the rest of your wardrobe.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Cargo shorts with deep slash front pockets (available from Cabelas and similar outlets) easily hide a .380Bodyguard or an airweight .38 in a pocket holster like this one. They're readily available on line.

You don't have to worry about your shirt riding up, or a bulge showing when you bend.

The gun remains easily accessible, and is so comfortable you may well forget you're carrying it. If a situation becomes dicey, a hand can be slipped discretely into the pocket and placed on the grip for a very fast draw without drawing undue attention.

This method is favored by many in hot weather climes and might be just the ticket for you.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

kde71450

Post by kde71450 »

rotor

Post by rotor »

Do you wear a belt? Check out ultimateconcealedcarry.com site. These really conceal a 380 very nicely, are comfortable and you can tuck a shirt. Fast, no but concealed.Plus they carry a cell phone. I just got a crossbread mintuck and like that too but can not tuck a shirt. Different holsters depending on dress. I have a S&W 380 bodyguard and that easily fits my pocket with a desantis pocket holster and use that with shorts and no belt but string tie.

Return to “Ladies”