Are you concerned about Lead exposure

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
CHLLady
Posts in topic: 1

Are you concerned about Lead exposure

Post by CHLLady »

after shooting and your children?

I've read a few articles and honestly it's something I never thought of being a newbie to guns and gun ranges.

I have now started making hubby and I was our hands before we leave the range. And when we go as a family, the kids wash up as well. I've also packed wipes in our range bag in case of an outdoor range.

http://www.examiner.com/article/tips-to ... m-shooting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With all of the new precious babies being born here and California talking about banning lead, it got me thinking about this issue.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

JSThane
Banned

Re: Are you concerned about Lead exposure

Post by JSThane »

No, I never worry about lead exposure. I simply wash my hands before eating.

And California is about to run into a big ol' brick wall of not just constitutionality, but reality. End game here isn't a lead ban, but an ammo ban - classify all lead and lead-cored ammo as toxic and harmful, and classify all lead-free ammo as "armor piercing," and hey presto! you made all guns useless!

Except for that pesky little thing called the constitution, and the fact their cops would be unable to get ammunition, etc., etc.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Concern about "lead exposure" is one of the reasons I carry a gun. :mrgreen:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

I'd be more worried about my children's exposure to California.

(both my sons are native San Diegans!)
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

I'm concerned but I'm not paranoid. I wash my hands. I don't collect spent brass in my hat, like I see some do. I also usually shoot outdoors. My heath risk from lead is probably much lower than my risk of being struck by lightning or a drunk bicyclist.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

I wash my hands well when I come off the range, and I make sure my clothes go in the laundry (as opposed to "eh, my jeans aren't really dirty, I can wear them again tomorrow"). When we clean guns we do it over packing paper and throw it away outside when we're done.

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

I agree with the above about washing hands well, changing clothes etc.. If you are concerned, you can always have lead levels drawn occasionally. If you shoot indoors a lot, make sure the range is well ventilated.

With our 4-H group we have wipes we use until they can use soap and water, lead exposure is one of the things we teach them about in safety training.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

philip964
Posts in topic: 3

Post by philip964 »

jmra wrote:Concern about "lead exposure" is one of the reasons I carry a gun. :mrgreen:
Way to funny.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

JALLEN wrote:I'd be more worried about my children's exposure to California.

Even way to more funnier.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Children need to be shielded from lead exposure. It can cause lower IQ's in developing brains. Pregnant women need to be shielded from lead exposure, probably for the same reason. Lead based paint and consuming fish are the big items to watch out for. Don't use pewter cups, plates or tableware for eating.

Washing hands is always a good idea.

Not sure what problem adults have with lead exposure, if any.

Considering the amount of time I spent as a child melting lead, getting lead fillings and playing with mercury, it is a wonder I can even functio.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

philip964 wrote:Children need to be shielded from lead exposure. It can cause lower IQ's in developing brains. Pregnant women need to be shielded from lead exposure, probably for the same reason. Lead based paint and consuming fish are the big items to watch out for. Don't use pewter cups, plates or tableware for eating.

Washing hands is always a good idea.

Not sure what problem adults have with lead exposure, if any.

Considering the amount of time I spent as a child melting lead, getting lead fillings and playing with mercury, it is a wonder I can even function.
IMO lead is similar to asbestos, in that it is relatively harmless when it is encased in a solid matrix, such as cured paint - Children eating lead contained in paint from toys, furniture and house trim is probably the biggest hazard.

P.S. I think that you meant mercury fillings [in your teeth].
NRA Endowment Member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I pretty much agree with WildBill. Its the form the lead is in that makes the difference. I read about this particular issue in a book by Patrick Sweeney, a noted gun writer and life-long competition shooter. Solid metal lead is nowhere near the hazard that certain lead oxides (one of those was in the paint that caused problems years ago) and other industrial lead compounds can be. IIRC, the only people Patrick Sweeney knew of that were around firearms a lot that had high lead levels were LEOs that worked indoor ranges with poor ventilation, and inhaled a LOT of particulate lead on a daily basis over many years of exposure. The California thing is more about antis trying to shut down hunting and shooting there than any actual safety hazard. Wash your hands when you get back from the range or before eating or drinking.
Last edited by K.Mooneyham on Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

K.Mooneyham wrote:Wash your hands when you get back from the range or before eating or drinking.
Or, heaven forbid, if you smoke. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

FL450

Post by FL450 »

I still have mercury fillings and lead bird shot in my cheek, lip and chest where I was shot as a child. At least I have an excuse to blame my poor memory on but didnt let that stop me in life.
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

AEA

Post by AEA »

JALLEN wrote:I'd be more worried about my children's exposure to California.

:iagree: :thumbs2:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Return to “Ladies”