Sore Hands?

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Selina Kyle
Posts in topic: 5

Sore Hands?

Post by Selina Kyle »

Hi ladies!!!! I was wondering if any of you have exercises you do with your hands to keep them from getting sore after shooting a pistol? I shot quite a bit last week, and my palm of my hand is still a little sore. I don't know if it is bruised or if I just need to get stronger. Just wondering if anyone else has this happen.
"His fist is big, but my gun's bigger. He'll find out when I pull the trigger!"
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

Longhorn-breeder
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sore Hands?

Post by Longhorn-breeder »

I seem to remember it more when I first started shooting. I initially shot an LCR and it was pretty tough. But gradually it got better, check your grip and hand placement
Longhorn-breeder
Central TX

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Selina Kyle you mention an LCP in your signature line. If that's what you were shooting, yes your hand is going to be sore after more than a few rounds. Guns like the LCP best carried a lot and shot a little. Try a larger gun with a full size grip and see the difference. This is the main reason I don't recommend the tiny .380 handguns except for a backup or deep cover gun. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

I'm not a lady, but I am in touch with my feminine side. :mrgreen:

If you can determine what portion of the grip is causing the soreness, you might be able to add a Houge grip sleeve that would help cushion the grip, as well as make it a little larger in your hand. http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?mai ... ts_id=7332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your hand is getting sore from the bottom of the grip edge, you might add a Pearce Grip Extension to add it to the magazines http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/Ruger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

If you are shooting for an extended time, you might try wearing a glove on your dominant hand. And, while shooting gloves are OK, BICYCLE gloves are much better, as the palms are very well padded!

I had carpal tunnel surgery a couple of years ago, and was not a candidate for the "no-stitch" kind, so I had stitches in my palm. Shooting was still not comfortable for a while, but the bicycle glove sure made it tolerable. You can find them at Academy, a little cheaper than the bicycle stores.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
Selina Kyle

Post by Selina Kyle »

Thanks so much, folks! While my LCP will be my CC gun, the one I shot most recently was the 1911. I went to the range to practice for my test, and a couple days later I took my test (with Crossfire!! :mrgreen: ). My hands are tiny, so maybe just too much action for them. I'll have to look into bicycle gloves. That's a good idea!!

Lol - I actually have that exact pink grip on the LCP.
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

asbandr

Post by asbandr »

I had the same issue when I first started shooting. My first gun was an LCP. I finally rented a Kahr P 380 and a Sig P238. The Sig was love at first shot and I bought one within a week. I couldn't shoot more than a few mags of the LCP without being really sore, but with my Sig I can shoot a few hundred rounds before I even get a hint of soreness. I recently bought a Keltec P32 to carry when I exercise, but shooting it is just as uncomfortable as the LCP was. So my advice is to be sure that you're going to train often with your EDC gun (and backup guns of course) and you won't train unless it's comfortable to shoot. If it doesn't get better it may be time to consider trying another. As thrifty as I tend to be, when it comes to guns I'm pretty much willing to spend the money for something good.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

It appears that the gun does not fit your hand. Would you walk 5 miles in shoes that don't fit? Go to a gun store and handle as many different brands of 380's (if that's your preference) that you can. Find what feels natural and comfortable, then go to a range and shoot the brands and models that were comfortable. I'll bet your target acquisition and shot groups will be better and tighter. That will also reduce the sore hands.

Topic author
Selina Kyle

Post by Selina Kyle »

I think I need to clarify. The .380 wasn't what I shot the most. Thurs night, I shot 6 rounds through the LCP, then 50 through the 1911. A couple days later I shot another 50 rounds (for my CHL).

Thanks so much for the input!
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Selina Kyle wrote:I think I need to clarify. The .380 wasn't what I shot the most. Thurs night, I shot 6 rounds through the LCP, then 50 through the 1911. A couple days later I shot another 50 rounds (for my CHL).

Sounds more like a 'you over did it' sore hands issue. ;-) It's kind of like exercise, you need to do it frequently to build up stamina and keep your muscles from getting sore.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Selina Kyle

Post by Selina Kyle »

Keith B wrote:
Selina Kyle wrote:I think I need to clarify. The .380 wasn't what I shot the most. Thurs night, I shot 6 rounds through the LCP, then 50 through the 1911. A couple days later I shot another 50 rounds (for my CHL).

Sounds more like a 'you over did it' sore hands issue. ;-) It's kind of like exercise, you need to do it frequently to build up stamina and keep your muscles from getting sore.
Ahh, see that's what I was wondering! Clearly, I just need more time on the range. :mrgreen:
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

android

Post by android »

My thumbs used to get sore from stuffing magazines more that my hands from shooting.

Then I got a UpLULA and it helps with that a lot.

http://www.maglula.com/product/uplula-9mm-to-45acp/

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

android wrote:My thumbs used to get sore from stuffing magazines more that my hands from shooting.

Then I got a UpLULA and it helps with that a lot.

http://www.maglula.com/product/uplula-9mm-to-45acp/
Love the UpLULA
NRA Life Member

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Yes, people with degenerative arthritis can load magazines with the correct Uplula.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

I never go to the range without my Uplula :thumbs2:
Selina, as Keith surmised, your sore hands likely had more recoil than they were ready for. Give them a few days to stop being sore then try shooting more often but less rounds per session for a while. That way you are still learning but without the distraction and influence of pain. The gloves Crossfire recommended are a great idea. Thanks, Crossfire, I think I will get a pair for myself. :mrgreen:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Return to “Ladies”