"Special Designation" Licenses

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Smokey613
Posts in topic: 1

"Special Designation" Licenses

Post by Smokey613 »

Earlier this year, I ran our city prosecutor through the qualification course and signed off on the form to allow him to obtain a LTC without taking the classroom portion as well as a reduced fee of $25. I am not a LTC Instructor but I am a TCOLE certified Firearms Instructor so I was able to do this for him. Anyway, my real question is, when he got his license in, he came by my office to show me his new license. I noticed on it was a designation of Judge / Prosecutor. A friend of mine has the Veteren designation on his. I recently renewed mine and did it under the Active Texas Peace Officer form. I was hoping my license would have a "special" designation on it too. My wife at the same time finally applied for her LTC under the same criteria as me as she has 28+ years as a LEO. To my surprise, neither of our new LTC have any special verbage on them. I was dissapointed to say the least. I know, it's not a big deal but dissapointed me anyway.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Lena

Re: "Special Designation" Licenses

Post by Lena »

I took the 1st class in TARRANT County way back when, law enforcement and military background and they just keep mine as it was and those I don't think were available then. Our class was 16 hrs .!!
Stay Safe

jonmo1

Post by jonmo1 »

I got the Veteran designation on mine, even though I didn’t really pursue it. I knew I could get it but thought I would need to request it specifically. I only provided my DD-214 to get the discounted app fee.

I can’t see needing that designation on my LTC. Any place that would require proof of being a veteran is probably not the kind of place I want to flash my LTC. I don’t want to show that to anyone except LEOs, it’s counterproductive to concealment. I have other means of proving vet status.

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

Judges and felony prosecutors with licenses can carry places where we can't, because of equal protection under the law or something like that.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I would think a LEO would not want the designation on the LTC. That way if they were working undercover or got asked why they were carrying and didn't want them to know they were a LEO, then they would have a cover story.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

jonmo1 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:47 pm I got the Veteran designation on mine, even though I didn’t really pursue it. I knew I could get it but thought I would need to request it specifically. I only provided my DD-214 to get the discounted app fee.

I can’t see needing that designation on my LTC. Any place that would require proof of being a veteran is probably not the kind of place I want to flash my LTC. I don’t want to show that to anyone except LEOs, it’s counterproductive to concealment. I have other means of proving vet status.
I take a different approach, not that yours is wrong by any means.
I do show my LTC with “veteran” on it to obtain discounts.
When I do this, I am super friendly and nice ( my usual self) and always wish them a great day and thank them.
My way of promoting the 2AD, law abiding citizens ability to carry, etc....
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Smokey613 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:54 am Earlier this year, I ran our city prosecutor through the qualification course and signed off on the form to allow him to obtain a LTC without taking the classroom portion as well as a reduced fee of $25. I am not a LTC Instructor but I am a TCOLE certified Firearms Instructor so I was able to do this for him. Anyway, my real question is, when he got his license in, he came by my office to show me his new license. I noticed on it was a designation of Judge / Prosecutor. A friend of mine has the Veteren designation on his. I recently renewed mine and did it under the Active Texas Peace Officer form. I was hoping my license would have a "special" designation on it too. My wife at the same time finally applied for her LTC under the same criteria as me as she has 28+ years as a LEO. To my surprise, neither of our new LTC have any special verbage on them. I was dissapointed to say the least. I know, it's not a big deal but dissapointed me anyway.
My supposition is that the judge/prosecutor designation is more than just an honorific. It actually comes with the ability to carry in 46.03 prohibited locations, which a judge/prosecutor would not have the ability to do without a license. The LEO designation just gets you a discount and the ability to avoid taking the class or shooting qual IIRC. By being a Texas LEO you get the authority to carry with or without LTC. Although theoretically LTC allows you to carry off duty in a Federal GFSZ without fear of roving ATF agents and AUSA’S with a bad attitude. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Allons

Post by Allons »

jonmo1 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:47 pm I got the Veteran designation on mine, even though I didn’t really pursue it. I knew I could get it but thought I would need to request it specifically. I only provided my DD-214 to get the discounted app fee.

I turned in my DD-214 with my application, but I did not ask for the veteran discount. I did not get the Veteran designation on my LTC.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

Mine used to say 'Veteran'. Now it says 'Instructor'. Was hoping for, 'Veteran Instructor!' :smilelol5:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Keith B wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:06 pm I would think a LEO would not want the designation on the LTC. That way if they were working undercover or got asked why they were carrying and didn't want them to know they were a LEO, then they would have a cover story.
GC §411.198. LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER ALIAS HANDGUN LICENSE.
(a) On written approval of the director, the department may issue to a law enforcement officer an alias license to carry a handgun to be used in supervised activities involving criminal investigations.
(b) It is a defense to prosecution under Section 46.035, Penal Code, that the actor, at the time of the commission of the offense, was the holder of an alias license issued under this section.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Scott B. wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:33 pm Mine used to say 'Veteran'. Now it says 'Instructor'. Was hoping for, 'Veteran Instructor!' :smilelol5:
That answers my question - I was going to ask if I could get 'Instructor' on mine, but I don't want 'Veteran' to come off of it. Looks like I'm sticking with what I have.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

You can also get the Veteran designation on your DL.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott B. »

Vol Texan wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:24 pm
Scott B. wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:33 pm Mine used to say 'Veteran'. Now it says 'Instructor'. Was hoping for, 'Veteran Instructor!' :smilelol5:
That answers my question - I was going to ask if I could get 'Instructor' on mine, but I don't want 'Veteran' to come off of it. Looks like I'm sticking with what I have.
Next Instructor renewal, it'll end up on there.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

oohrah wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:24 am

You can also get the Veteran designation on your DL.
Both my DL and my LTC show "Veteran". Doesn't do a whole lot for me 'cause they are right next to my DD Form 2 (Retired). :biggrinjester:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”