Drawing weapon to scare threat away

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Drawing weapon to scare threat away

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Beiruty wrote:Is the threat of beating someone is an assault? justifying producing a deadly weapon as a threat to terminate the threat of physical assault? Not sure in this scenario we CHLer can prematurely draw. Now if the assailant proceed to throw punch whether landed or otherwise, it is another story. Talking tough is just that talking tough and kind of verbal intimidation.
That's a good question. gigag04 told me in another thread a couple of months ago that producing your weapon in anticipation of needing it might be prosecutable as an "aggravated assault."

Here was the scenario in that thread, best as I can remember them: OP said he and girlfriend were departing theater/event/bar late at night in downtown Dallas. While they were in the parking lot walking toward their car, 2 males appear from shadows of adjacent building and start to walk rapidly toward OP and GF. As they draw closer, OP verbally challenges 2 males, who both fail to acknowledge or respond to challenge and continue to advance rapidly toward OP and GF. OP draws weapon (a Keltec or LCP if I recall) with a laser light mounted on it and plays beam across the chests of both advancing males. They both stop, turn around, and discover pressing business elsewhere. Neither of the two men ever responded verbally or acknowledged in any way the OP's verbal challenges. They just kept walking forward toward OP & GF at rapid walk. When confronted with laser beam, both turned and walked rapidly away. OP & GF jump in car and make rapid getaway, leaving cloud of burned rubber and acrid scent in the air. Calm returns.

OP's question in the above event was whether or not he was legally justified in drawing his weapon. He said it all happened very quickly, and he was extremely frightened at the time, and drawing his weapon seemed to be the appropriate response. His question was directed at the LEOs on the forum, and was to the effect of, "if you responded to my 911 call and I told you what I had done, would you arrest me or let me go?"

gigag04, who is a LEO, responded that, since both males never said a word, never spoke any threats, never produced a weapon, and never acted aggressively except in walking toward OP & GF at a rapid and purposeful pace, that OP's actions rose to the level of aggravated assault against the 2 males. Consensus reached in the thread was that whether or not OP would be arrested depended on whether he or the 2 males called 911 first. gigag04 pointed out, quite rightly, that for all the OP knew, the 2 males were just as afraid of the dark as OP, and were trying to get to their own car as quickly as possible. IIRC, OP & GF were not of the same race as the 2 males, and some of OP's fear may have been based on that factor.

If anyone else remembers that thread and can add to or correct what I've written here, I would appreciate it.

My own response to the above scenario, and to the original question in this thread is that the legality of one's response in drawing your weapon prophylactically might be reasonably tied to your own physical condition. I, as are several other members here, am not in the best physical condition and I am hobbled by various medical conditions which reduce the responses available to me. I cannot run to save my life. If walking away is not an option available to me, then the other person's threat toward me rises exponentially. I refuse to allow someone to administer a beating to me because my inability to respond in kind places my life at risk. A fist can kill, and it has happened. Since I cannot respond in kind, a threat to beat me is a threat to take my life. The fact that I have fewer options available to me escalates the situation quite rapidly. I do not believe that my gun is some kind of magical talisman, and I do believe that drawing it or using it is a last resort. But my point is that, for me, "last resort" approaches more quickly because of having fewer other options available to me.

In yet another thread a while back, the OP asked, do we have any kind of responsibility to permit physical contact or even go to ground with the opponent before drawing and firing the weapon. My response to that was absolutely not. I cannot afford your contact. If you get physical with me, that is a real-world threat to my life, and I will draw and shoot. I recall that Crossfire quoted my words at the time and answer in wry humor, "In other words, never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too tired, he'll just have to kill you." I still chuckle at that, but that does essentially cover how I feel about it.

The sections of the law about use of force and deadly force justifications include words like "actor reasonably believes...." I don't by any means believe that this will help me to beat the ride, but it might well beat the rap, and given physical disparities, I'll just have to trust in the justice system, and hope that the court takes into account my age and condition versus the other guy's in rendering a decision as to whether or not my producing a firearm rose to the level of an appropriate response to the threat. And, what we need to remember is that LEOs see a lot of different kinds of human behavior, and they are often very good impartial judges of what they observe. Consequently, there may not be any ride at all to beat if he/she is convinced that your response was the appropriate one.
Here's that thread.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33940" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skooter

Post by Skooter »

I disagree. Clinched fists walking toward you isn’t necessarily a display of deadly force. Receiving trauma to the head, neck or spine is considered deadly force when not using a weapon. Gut punches, shin kicking or toe stomping aren’t life threatening. The person could have intended to walk over to you and spit on you or give you an “atomic wedgie”. That’s not justifiable to destroy him/her. Now there are circumstances where this could be applicable based on size, gender, age, health or disability.

Without a weapon it gets a little tricky.
100 lb 25 yr old male aggressing on 200lb 30 yr old male – probably not justifiable
100 lb 25 yr old male aggressing on 125lb 60 yr old male – probably justifiable
100 lb 25 yr old female aggressing on 200lb 30 yr old male – probably not justifiable
100 lb 25 yr old female aggressing on 200lb 60 yr old male – probably not justifiable
100 lb 25 yr old female aggressing on 100lb 25 yr old female – AWESOME throw in some mud and you have a good cat fight!

The laws aren’t as “black & white” as everyone thinks. There are many variables that need to be evaluated in split second decisions.
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dragonfighter »

Skooter wrote:Gut punches, shin kicking or toe stomping aren’t life threatening. The person could have intended to walk over to you and spit on you or give you an “atomic wedgie”.
Yeah well, tell Houdini that a gut punch isn't deadly force. And for the record spitting has been considered as assault with a deadly weapon. All that said, it is not a requirement of the law, nor is it my moral obligation to rule out more benign intent before interpreting one's posture or actions. An "atomic wedgie" (which I assume was offered tongue in cheek) is something you get wrestling with your older cousin. If a stranger displays the anger and closes the distance between you, I am not going to defend myself. I am not going to worry whether he is posturing or intent on my destruction. I will stop him, whether that decision involves force or deadly force depends on a boat load of factors. But I tell you, as I age and my problems become more and more prominent, the hand to hand option becomes less viable.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

megs
Posts in topic: 1

Post by megs »

If a stranger tries to touch my underwear that's assault and I will defend myself. If they're bigger/stronger than me, I may have to shoot them.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 6

Post by baldeagle »

Skooter wrote:I disagree. Clinched fists walking toward you isn’t necessarily a display of deadly force. Receiving trauma to the head, neck or spine is considered deadly force when not using a weapon. Gut punches, shin kicking or toe stomping aren’t life threatening. The person could have intended to walk over to you and spit on you or give you an “atomic wedgie”. That’s not justifiable to destroy him/her. Now there are circumstances where this could be applicable based on size, gender, age, health or disability.

Without a weapon it gets a little tricky.
100 lb 25 yr old male aggressing on 200lb 30 yr old male – probably not justifiable
100 lb 25 yr old male aggressing on 125lb 60 yr old male – probably justifiable
100 lb 25 yr old female aggressing on 200lb 30 yr old male – probably not justifiable
100 lb 25 yr old female aggressing on 200lb 60 yr old male – probably not justifiable
100 lb 25 yr old female aggressing on 100lb 25 yr old female – AWESOME throw in some mud and you have a good cat fight!

The laws aren’t as “black & white” as everyone thinks. There are many variables that need to be evaluated in split second decisions.
I suspect that Juan Duran's wife would disagree with you. Perhaps if he had been carrying he might still be alive. After the first punch, he probably wouldn't have been able to defend himself.

So when would you draw your weapon and fire? I'm 62. I guarantee you that if you come at me with a clenched first you will be staring down the barrel of a gun. And if you don't back off, you will be shot.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Skooter

Post by Skooter »

Reflect back in your life BEFORE you obtained your CHL and look at all the times someone has approached you with “clinched fists”. Someone walked away with a black eye or similar and the other with a boosted ego. The shear fact that no one was killed and we’re talking about this today strongly suggests that deadly force wasn’t applied. If you had your CHL back then, someone would have gone home in a body bag.

I’m NOT trying to stir you guys up, but there isn’t a “black & white” manual for pulling the trigger. There are uncountable variables in each unique situation that need to be evaluated. And trust me; there will be 12 of them if the situation arises.
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Beiruty »

First, if someone shot an unarmed assailant, the actor better have one or more trusted eyewitness who witnessesed the confortation and verbal command by th actor to the assailant to stop and back off!
Otherwise, in the abscence of a witness, it is tough sell to explain that you havejust shot an aggressive teritorial bagger.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

jester

Post by jester »

If the lowlifes don't want to end up in the hospital or morgue, they shouldn't go around assaulting people. It's as simple as that.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

Skooter wrote:Reflect back in your life BEFORE you obtained your CHL and look at all the times someone has approached you with “clenched fists”. Someone walked away with a black eye or similar and the other with a boosted ego. The shear fact that no one was killed and we’re talking about this today strongly suggests that deadly force wasn’t applied. If you had your CHL back then, someone would have gone home in a body bag.

I’m NOT trying to stir you guys up, but there isn’t a “black & white” manual for pulling the trigger. There are uncountable variables in each unique situation that need to be evaluated. And trust me; there will be 12 of them if the situation arises.
Number of times before: zero
Number of times since: zero

A gut punch probably WILL kill me -- I'm rapidly approaching my sixty-third birthday with two abdominal surgeries in the last year. If a younger able-bodied male approaches me with clenched fists, expressing his intention of punching me out, he will be drawn on. What happens after that depends on his behavior.

08thunders

Post by 08thunders »

Skooter wrote:Reflect back in your life BEFORE you obtained your CHL and look at all the times someone has approached you with “clinched fists”.
I don't get into many fist fights. I have been in two fist fights since high school and both involved serious bodily injury.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 6

Post by baldeagle »

Skooter wrote:Reflect back in your life BEFORE you obtained your CHL and look at all the times someone has approached you with “clinched fists”. Someone walked away with a black eye or similar and the other with a boosted ego. The shear fact that no one was killed and we’re talking about this today strongly suggests that deadly force wasn’t applied. If you had your CHL back then, someone would have gone home in a body bag.

Only two people have ever approached me with clenched fists; a kid in third grade and another in seventh grade. Both went down after one solid kick to the crotch. Neither left a mark on me. I'm older now. I probably couldn't make that kick. So the gun will have to do. I'm sorry, but I won't give the BG a gimme before taking him out. Because that one gimme could be my last. You do whatever you think is right, but I believe the law is on my side, and I'm willing to stand up in court and say that, if it ever comes to that. Frankly, I think I would be no-billed and never make it to trial. The law states that I can draw my gun in response to the threat of bodily harm and shoot when the threat reaches deadly force. I refuse to be somebody's punching bag. If a guy is stupid enough to keep coming at me after I've already drawn and warned him to stop or I will shoot, he's not going to get a second warning. He's going to get two in the CoM, more if that doesn't stop him.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Skooter wrote:I disagree. Clinched fists walking toward you isn’t necessarily a display of deadly force. Receiving trauma to the head, neck or spine is considered deadly force when not using a weapon. Gut punches, shin kicking or toe stomping aren’t life threatening.
With all due respect, you're not qualified to make that assessment for anyone besides yourself. I find it strange beyond passing that you think anybody has an obligation to absorb any kind of physical abuse before responding accordingly.

Applying your standard then, let me ask you a question. Would you let a stranger physically assault and injure your wife or child before you would intervene with a drawn weapon? Because that is the standard you're advocating for everyone else.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Will938

Post by Will938 »

Skooter wrote:Reflect back in your life BEFORE you obtained your CHL and look at all the times someone has approached you with “clinched fists”. Someone walked away with a black eye or similar and the other with a boosted ego. The shear fact that no one was killed and we’re talking about this today strongly suggests that deadly force wasn’t applied. If you had your CHL back then, someone would have gone home in a body bag.
What you're talking about is faith. Faith that someone who means to do you harm only wants to deal a little bit of it, that someone who may beat you into submission will simply stop there. I have zero faith in the mercy of violent criminals, I assume the absolute worst. I am a firm believer in the concept of bad things happening to bad people. If you break in to buffalo bill's house and he ends up wearing your face as a mask...well too bad, you shouldn't have broken in to buffalo bill's house. If you pick a fight with someone to act tough and end up in the morgue, too bad, you shouldn't get violent with people. If I had my way victims of violent crime would have absolute immunity from whatever they did to the criminal.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”