A Defense to the Prosecution

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 12

Re: A Defense to the Prosecution

Post by wgoforth »

smoothoperator wrote:Laws do get repealed. Maybe not often but it does happen.
Repealed yes...but the Texas Penal Code is written like the constitution... just gets amended in another section.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

smoothoperator
Posts in topic: 2

Post by smoothoperator »

Do you agree those sections could have been repealed, instead of left in place but adding a sign requirement?

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

smoothoperator wrote:Do you agree those sections could have been repealed, instead of left in place but adding a sign requirement?
To simply remove them altogether would mess up the numbering system of the Penal code. Think it is good to leave them, as people will argue what the law is, look in the amended PC and be confused when it is not how they remembered. I am sure there are more legal reasons for doing so, but those are some practical. What WOULD help would be placing an asterisk by codes that are amended.
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

wgoforth wrote:To simply remove them altogether would mess up the numbering system of the Penal code. Think it is good to leave them, as people will argue what the law is, look in the amended PC and be confused when it is not how they remembered. I am sure there are more legal reasons for doing so, but those are some practical. What WOULD help would be placing an asterisk by codes that are amended.
the numbering of the Penal Code (or any other code) is not a real consideration. It does sort of mess it up, but that happens every legislative session. For example, two different bills amend the same section of code and the next printing will have that number twice, with a note saying which act changed it for that section.

And the two sections do not have to agree on what is legal or not. That is when things really can get confusing for enforcement.

I think the real reason for some of the defenses, instead of repealing a clause or section, is political. It is much easier to get some politicians to vote for a bill if the proponent says the act is still illegal, we are just giving some people a way out of the problems. So, to get the bill passed, we make compromises that cover most people but leave the act illegal.
Steve Rothstein

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BrianSW99 »

The legislature strikes sections from existing statutes all the time. They could have completely removed the church, amusement park, hospital clause if they had wanted to. I agree that it must have been done the way it was for political reasons.

Brian
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

I just asked an attorney I know... and he said this means that if someone really wanted to make an issue they could, but you have a defense...so both sides should tread lightly.
NRA Life Member

Dave2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dave2 »

Keith B wrote:I believe the one for section (k) that was put in place in 2007 was purposly written to give the option of giving the DA the capability of arguing that any reasonable person should know that a specific location was a 51% bar/tavern, gentlemens club, dance hall, etc, because it sells little to no food and makes their money only on drinks, visible sign or not.
I know of at least one bar that fits that description, but isn't 51% for two reasons. First off, they literally aren't a "51%" location -- the majority of their income is from renting the place out for private events. Secondly, they're part of a larger complex that has a general site-wide liquor license and most of the other places don't sell alcohol at all.

So if it were me, I'd point out that the DA is objectively wrong -- there's at least one proper bar in TX that isn't 51%, so you can't assume that any given bar is 51% and just not posted.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

Dave2 wrote:
Keith B wrote:I believe the one for section (k) that was put in place in 2007 was purposly written to give the option of giving the DA the capability of arguing that any reasonable person should know that a specific location was a 51% bar/tavern, gentlemens club, dance hall, etc, because it sells little to no food and makes their money only on drinks, visible sign or not.
I know of at least one bar that fits that description, but isn't 51% for two reasons. First off, they literally aren't a "51%" location -- the majority of their income is from renting the place out for private events. Secondly, they're part of a larger complex that has a general site-wide liquor license and most of the other places don't sell alcohol at all.

So if it were me, I'd point out that the DA is objectively wrong -- there's at least one proper bar in TX that isn't 51%, so you can't assume that any given bar is 51% and just not posted.

Billy Bob's, by chance?
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Someone tell me why/how PC 21.06 is still on the books....

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/d ... /pe.21.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

gigag04 wrote:Someone tell me why/how PC 21.06 is still on the books....

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/d ... /pe.21.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It does say 21.06 was declared unconstitutional, but 21.01(1) still says pretty much the same thing.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

mr surveyor wrote:
Dave2 wrote:

Billy Bob's, by chance?
Dunno, never been there. That budget info was kinda sorta given in confidence, so I'd rather not say in public. But you can check any venue's liquor license on the TABC's website.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

paulhailes

Post by paulhailes »

C-dub wrote:

It does say 21.06 was declared unconstitutional, but 21.01(1) still says pretty much the same thing.
21.01(1) is just a definition and it does not indicate the sex of the persons, the definition is used in later statues such as 21.07. I wondered the same thing about 21.06, I don't understand why they left it in.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

paulhailes wrote:
C-dub wrote:

21.01(1) is just a definition and it does not indicate the sex of the persons, the definition is used in later statues such as 21.07. I wondered the same thing about 21.06, I don't understand why they left it in.
There is the fear if you give em in inch they might insist on the right to vote, or even get married. Its only been declared unconstitutional for a couple of years. They could have taken up the issue while it was making its way through the courts.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

paulhailes wrote:
C-dub wrote:

I didn't look around, but figured if the definition was still there that it must be considered a crime somewhere in the code. I thought that listing the behavior specifically like 21.06 does was redundant, unnecessary, and clearly bias. For that matter, oh, never mind.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

Very good question. It appears that the answer is politics.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/03/31 ... valid.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”