CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

TexasCHLForum Scholarship Fund?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

It's balloon floating time folks. I've been considering a TexasCHLForum Scholarship Fund to help folks get their CHL. I talked to Marc (TraCoun)about it and asked him if he'd be willing to hold the money, if we do this. (I'm not about to!) Marc agreed.

I haven't worked out the details yet, but I would envision a fund that would be administered by a group of trustees who would evaluate the requests for funding. Rules would have to be adopted for eligibility and amount or percentage of funding available, etc.

The fund would not be a 501(c)(3), so any donations would not be tax deductible.

If there is enough interest, my law firm will donate $200 and the PSC-IDPA match will donate $100. I will also donate on an individual basis, but I'm not going to give an amount, because we will welcome donations of any amount and I don't want to be viewed as trying to set a standard for individual donations.

If there is enough interest, I'll get with some folks I think would make good trustees. In addition to not handling the money, I will not be Chairman of the trustees and may well not even be one of the trustees. I'm inclined to stay completely out of the program, other than to promote it and support it on TexasCHLForum.

What do you folks think?

Chas.

Tom
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TexasCHLForum Scholarship Fund?

Post by Tom »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:It's balloon floating time folks. I've been considering a TexasCHLForum Scholarship Fund to help folks get their CHL. I talked to Marc (TraCoun)about it and asked him if he'd be willing to hold the money, if we do this. (I'm not about to!) Marc agreed.

I haven't worked out the details yet, but I would envision a fund that would be administered by a group of trustees who would evaluate the requests for funding. Rules would have to be adopted for eligibility and amount or percentage of funding available, etc.

The fund would not be a 501(c)(3), so any donations would not be tax deductible.

If there is enough interest, my law firm will donate $200 and the PSC-IDPA match will donate $100. I will also donate on an individual basis, but I'm not going to give an amount, because we will welcome donations of any amount and I don't want to be viewed as trying to set a standard for individual donations.

If there is enough interest, I'll get with some folks I think would make good trustees. In addition to not handling the money, I will not be Chairman of the trustees and may well not even be one of the trustees. I'm inclined to stay completely out of the program, other than to promote it and support it on TexasCHLForum.

What do you folks think?

Chas.
Charles,

Excellent idea! Count me in for $$ and help on a charter, if needed.

Best Regards,

Tom

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

Hi Charles

If I understand you right we are talking about someone in real need of a CHL but honestly can't afford it, if so, I'll give you 100.00 and absorb the cost of some of the classes that can be held in this area. I'd be glad to get with you and Mark on this, haven't seen either of you in a while anyway.
Tomcat
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

OOOPS,
If I had read your whole post more carefully the first time I wouldn't have posted an amount, SORRY.

Tomcat
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Sounds like a quite worthy cause.

DCSA could likely kick in a little coin, do reduced rate training for some in north DFW area.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

RatMan

Post by RatMan »

Sounds like an excellent idea, Charles! Count me in...
XD9 SC
Para C7.45
CZ RAMI
SA Champion 1911
SA Micro Compact 1911
S&W 1911
S&W Model 60 .357Mag
Taurus Model 415 .41mag
Taurus Model 617TBC .357mag
Taurus .45 Millennium Pro
Taurus .380 Millennium
American Derringer .45ACP

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

Chas., great idea. I will try and kick in some frogskins.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I'm in. PM with details once it's all nailed down.

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

We're in...but you knew that.

cxm

Re: TexasCHLForum Scholarship Fund?

Post by cxm »

Chas,

Perhaps those of us who are instructors could also donate free or reduced price classes.

Such donations could be of value too.

FWIW

Chuck

Charles L. Cotton wrote:It's balloon floating time folks. I've been considering a TexasCHLForum Scholarship Fund to help folks get their CHL. I talked to Marc (TraCoun)about it and asked him if he'd be willing to hold the money, if we do this. (I'm not about to!) Marc agreed.

What do you folks think?

Chas.
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Between ammo components and day care we are almost tapped, but I could shoot a couple fewer boxes to help out a terrific cause.

Count me in.

onerifle

Post by onerifle »

Great idea, Chas. Count me, after Labor Day.
"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes- a man who does not ask is a fool forever."

sensei

Post by sensei »

I'll help any way I can.

Ray

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks guys, the response has been great! I'll get with Marc and some folks I'd like to see serve as trustees for the Fund and will post an update.

Thanks again folks, I think this is going to be a big help to some folks.

Regards,
Chas.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Great idea. Count me in.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”