What would you say to a repair guy if you saw his gun

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Choctaw
Posts in topic: 3

Re: What would you say to a repair guy if you saw his gun

Post by Choctaw »

As a plumber I carry daily (of course) and into all of my clients homes/business' that are not posted. I provide my plumbing services to a wide variety of clients, from the most conservative to the most liberal. I'm cognizant of their leanings and make an effort to not expose my CCW...I can't afford to lose one of my clients over this issue, much less any other issue. I will disarm in the van if I know I will be getting into a situation that may expose my CCW. I am very blessed to have a majority of pro-gun clients, however I still make every effort to remain concealed.

What would I say you ask? I'm not sure, it really depends on the situation. I could see some of my more liberal clients not saying anything, but dern sure never calling me again. I think my conservative clients would say something positive.
35 days...mailbox to mailbox

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RPBrown »

I too am in the service industry (HVAC) and that is what prompted me to get my CHL as soon as it was legal. I was robbed at gun point on 2 different jobsites back in the late 80's and early 90's.

I no longer work my tools but prior to becoming a desk jocky I would carry a tool bag instead of a tool belt. In this bag would be my weapon of choice. Now when I go to a jobsite I am able to carry on person.

As far as what I or my wife would say to a service person in our home, nothing. That is unless something were to happen. In that case, I would hope that our training would kick in. I can safely trust that my wife will have her weapon with her the entire time he is there.

As a side note that happened a couple of months ago, she was home alone and a guy came to the door saying he was there to fix the heat. She told him he had the wrong house. He said no, that her husband had called for the service call. She assured him that was not true and strongly :oops: urged him to leave. When he insisted again, she moved her hand around where he could dee the XD she was holding and she proceeded to call 911. Needless to say he left quickly. She was able to get his plate # and type of truck. LEO's caught him a couple of blocks away trying the same thing.
Last edited by RPBrown on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Purplehood »

I hope you don't really 'carry in the waistband'. That would make me think that you may actually be a bad-guy.

I know, profiling, but there it is...
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Two issues for carrying in homes of other people to be VERY aware of. First and most important, if you do end up using your weapon against a person in their home, you are going to have a very tough time esplainin that one Lucy! Second and a very big issue for anyone doing repair work that involves sweat and summer heat. Sweat can destroy your precious carry piece. I was not thinking one day and started working on my truck in the garage. It was hot hot hot. I was sweating all over my PM9 while in its holster. We have had at least one instance of an armed person assaulting a home owner in a garage. Right after that happened, I was feeling the need to have my gun on me. I came in for a water break and pulled the gun and holster out and set it in the cabinet. I forgot about it for a day or so. It had rust all over it. Fortunately not deep rust. I was able to get it off without doing damage to the weapon. A couple more days may have been real bad.

I like the idea posted above about carrying in a tool bag. That eliminates the possibility of the weapon falling out in front of a customer or even being lost in the attic. It also takes care of the issue of sweating all over the gun.

Once more for fun. I cannot possibly stress the seriousness of the situation if you do shoot a home owner in their own home! :shock:

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RPBrown »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Two issues for carrying in homes of other people to be VERY aware of. First and most important, if you do end up using your weapon against a person in their home, you are going to have a very tough time esplainin that one Lucy! Second and a very big issue for anyone doing repair work that involves sweat and summer heat. Sweat can destroy your precious carry piece. I was not thinking one day and started working on my truck in the garage. It was hot hot hot. I was sweating all over my PM9 while in its holster. We have had at least one instance of an armed person assaulting a home owner in a garage. Right after that happened, I was feeling the need to have my gun on me. I came in for a water break and pulled the gun and holster out and set it in the cabinet. I forgot about it for a day or so. It had rust all over it. Fortunately not deep rust. I was able to get it off without doing damage to the weapon. A couple more days may have been real bad.

I like the idea posted above about carrying in a tool bag. That eliminates the possibility of the weapon falling out in front of a customer or even being lost in the attic. It also takes care of the issue of sweating all over the gun.

Once more for fun. I cannot possibly stress the seriousness of the situation if you do shoot a home owner in their own home! :shock:
Not just the homeowner that worries me. 90% of my work is commercial but on occassion I do go to a home. However, In my younger days when I was "working my tools", there were times I encountered not so friendly wildlife. Snakes on several occassions, coyotes under a house (nearly made a new exit in the floor on that one), raccoons, etc.. I might add that both times I was robbed, I was on a commercial call.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Brad Mc
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Brad Mc »

RPBrown wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:Two issues for carrying in homes of other people to be VERY aware of. First and most important, if you do end up using your weapon against a person in their home, you are going to have a very tough time esplainin that one Lucy! Second and a very big issue for anyone doing repair work that involves sweat and summer heat. Sweat can destroy your precious carry piece. I was not thinking one day and started working on my truck in the garage. It was hot hot hot. I was sweating all over my PM9 while in its holster. We have had at least one instance of an armed person assaulting a home owner in a garage. Right after that happened, I was feeling the need to have my gun on me. I came in for a water break and pulled the gun and holster out and set it in the cabinet. I forgot about it for a day or so. It had rust all over it. Fortunately not deep rust. I was able to get it off without doing damage to the weapon. A couple more days may have been real bad.

Not just the homeowner that worries me. 90% of my work is commercial but on occassion I do go to a home. However, In my younger days when I was "working my tools", there were times I encountered not so friendly wildlife. Snakes on several occassions, coyotes under a house (nearly made a new exit in the floor on that one), raccoons, etc.. I might add that both times I was robbed, I was on a commercial call.
I agree about the commercial calls. I'm in the hvac service industry and I mainly do commercial calls. You never know where you are gonna be called out to. A lot of our clients we've had for years. (A lot of state buildings). These big buildings are often nighttime hideouts for homeless people. There is usually water and some sort of shelter under the pier and beam buildings and parking garages. Any call in the entertainment district in Austin can be pretty scary. As I'm reading everyone's posts, it looks like a good carry bag is the way to go.
Feb 1, 2013 DPS received packet
Feb 26, 2013 DPS finally updated to BG under review
April 3, 2013 Manufacturing pending, April 4, 2013 Manufacturing
April 9, 2013 Mailed ... April 11, received chl

jayinsat
Posts in topic: 9

Post by jayinsat »

How do you know the person coming to repair your broken whatever is not intent on harm? Just because they wear the uniform and have tools doesn't mean they are not a serial rapist/killer that has not been caught. I would be very careful pointing out anyones 2a exposure. In my own home, I would demand to see his license to conceal in order to continue to work and then apologize for putting him on the spot. I don't know if he has a license or just plan on killing me after i'm otherwise distracted. I wouldn't make a big deal cause i'm strapped 24/7 in my home.

Same thing in public. How do I know they are not there to rob? Don't assume they are a law abiding citizen.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

MotherBear
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MotherBear »

If you're carrying in a tool bag, I would seriously look into some way to either give the gun a completely separate pocket (i.e. one that you won't be opening to get out your tools) or make sure that if someone does get a glimpse of it, it looks like the gun is contained in some way meant for the purpose. Maybe a holster sewn or velcroed into the bag. I'm not sure exactly how to express what I'm trying to say, but basically, if I happened to glance into an open tool bag and see a gun lying in there with the wrenches and whatever, or just sort of shoved in somewhere, my level of concern is going to go up. I'd feel safer if it looks like it belongs there. "Oh, yeah, I carry that because sometimes I run into wildlife underneath buildings." Huh, makes sense, looks legit... no biggie. I generally picture a criminally carried gun as being shoved into a waistband or backpack or something, so I'd avoid that look.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I agree motherbear. Many of the tool bags available today come with more pockets and compartments than a James Bond movie. I would imagine the best way to carry would be a side compartment with nothing else in it and zip up tight. I can understand how a home owner might be bothered by the sight of a handgun bouncing around lose in a tool bag.

treeman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treeman »

Better make sure tool bag isn't left unattended at any time - like returning to vehicle to get something and leaving it by the sink.

yogihat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by yogihat »

In my home I would have to ask to see his/her CHL. As long as they can provide it to me there would not be an issue. I don't know them and would not assume they mean me no harm just because they are in a service position. If they refused to show me a CHL then I would ask them to leave and notify the company. I do not take any risk when it comes to my home and property. Trust but verify as the saying goes.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

MotherBear wrote:If you're carrying in a tool bag, I would seriously look into some way to either give the gun a completely separate pocket (i.e. one that you won't be opening to get out your tools) or make sure that if someone does get a glimpse of it, it looks like the gun is contained in some way meant for the purpose. Maybe a holster sewn or velcroed into the bag. I'm not sure exactly how to express what I'm trying to say, but basically, if I happened to glance into an open tool bag and see a gun lying in there with the wrenches and whatever, or just sort of shoved in somewhere, my level of concern is going to go up. I'd feel safer if it looks like it belongs there. "Oh, yeah, I carry that because sometimes I run into wildlife underneath buildings." Huh, makes sense, looks legit... no biggie. I generally picture a criminally carried gun as being shoved into a waistband or backpack or something, so I'd avoid that look.
This looks like it might do the job for a service contractor:

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/AGG ... 13p779.htm

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Choctaw

Post by Choctaw »

I carry a Sig P938 in a wallet holster. Chances of it falling out are very remote, chances of it being spotted by the client are very remote.

I can't see how this got turned into a "shooting the homeowner" thread. I size up my new client on the phone, driving through their neighborhood, when I arrive at their location and finally when I meet them at the door. There is very little room for error by following these steps. In over 30 yrs of going "cold" to a clients home I've never been in a compromising situation. Now, the neighborhood, that's a whole 'nuther story.

My reason for carrying into a clients home is so that when I go to and from their home to pick parts from my van...I'm protected. If I were to encounter a bad guy, I highly doubt they would have the decency to allow me to dig through my bag or get into my console to get prepared for the confrontation. I've had tools stolen from my van in as little as 3 minutes from the time I closed the door and reentered the building, I've had people insist I give them money, etc.

I might ad that VERY few of my clients are "cold/unknown" clients to me any longer. The vast majority of my clients are by referral.

jayinsat
Posts in topic: 9

Post by jayinsat »

I can't see how this got turned into a "shooting the homeowner" thread.
I believe the OP asks what would we, the homeowners, do if we saw the repairpersons gun. Many initial responses seemed to presume the repairperson was a reputable, licensed individual. I don't presume that. If they accidentally reveal, I will want assurance or they will be asked to leave. Many home burglars use stolen utility vehicles.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

Choctaw

Post by Choctaw »

jayinsat wrote:
I can't see how this got turned into a "shooting the homeowner" thread.
I believe the OP asks what would we, the homeowners, do if we saw the repairpersons gun. Many initial responses seemed to presume the repairperson was a reputable, licensed individual. I don't presume that. If they accidentally reveal, I will want assurance or they will be asked to leave. Many home burglars use stolen utility vehicles.
Well, then it seems that you as a homeowner or business owner might need to do a little "due diligence" as to whom you are inviting to your home or business.

I know I would not book a service call with someone that I haven't spoken with personally or had referred to me by a person I trusted.

Very few times if any; have I seen a case where a "badguy repairperson" would have not raised my hackles upon answering the door, I can assure you that I always answer the door prepared, as I'm sure you do as well. This is the time to size up your visitor and make the determination as to whether to allow them into your home or business.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”