Enforceability of mask requirements

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Enforceability of mask requirements

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

My understanding of the current situation in Texas is that businesses can still require masks. But is a simple “masks required” sign enough to charge someone with trespassing absent any other form of notice?

I’m thinking that the sign would need to explicitly state that your entry is forbidden unless you are wearing a mask. And I don’t know that a simple “masks required” meets that requirement.

Tex1961

Re: Enforceability of mask requirements

Post by Tex1961 »

My business, my rules. I can kick you out anytime for any reason.

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OneGun »

My wife and I know several small business owners. These owners have received feedback from customers that if they require masks, these customers will shop elsewhere.

It's a really unfortunate situation. These business owners are trying to survive, but a couple of them are in the high-risk category for Covid and do not have other people to manage their businesses.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

srothstein
Posts in topic: 5

Post by srothstein »

OneGun wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:32 pm My wife and I know several small business owners. These owners have received feedback from customers that if they require masks, these customers will shop elsewhere.

It's a really unfortunate situation. These business owners are trying to survive, but a couple of them are in the high-risk category for Covid and do not have other people to manage their businesses.
Some stores are receiving just the opposite feedback. If they do not "require" customers to wear masks, and enforce it, then these people would shop elsewhere. H.E.B. caved and announced they would change their policy from request to require.

I do not have a problem with a business owner making the decision either way, but both parties that threaten the business owner are wrong, IMO. I might feel the same as they do (and shop elsewhere if I disagree with the store position), but threatening in advance to get them t pick my way is wrong.
Steve Rothstein

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

I frequently tell my students that there are some things in Texas that are sacred. Among them are:

Church
High School & College Football
Guns
Shiner Beer
and MOST important, Private Property Rights

I may not like their rules, but their property, their rules. Where I live, there are three places to shop for groceries:

Wal-Mart: Mask required by corporate policy as of last check, but allows concealed carry
HEB: Mask required by store policy as of this morning, but allows concealed carry
Military Commissary: mask required by Federal Mandate and no carry of any sort

Guess where I will shop even with cheaper prices on most items at the commissary?
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by BigGuy »

AF-Odin wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:47 pm I may not like their rules, but their property, their rules.
:iagree:

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

BigGuy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:53 pm
AF-Odin wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:47 pm I may not like their rules, but their property, their rules.
:iagree:
yeah ...All this time i wore an N95 respirator, now I'm fully immunized i'm looking for a pantyhose type mask ..NOT fishnet stocking though ...
Pantyhose Protective Equipment? Try This Mask Tweak
https://hartfordhealthcare.org/about-us ... blicId=395

https://wpta21.com/2020/07/23/state-rep ... sk-mandate

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

My niece with her two kids is visiting from California. We were going into TopWater Grill in San Leon. She walked in and ran out as if she had seen a pack of attacking rabid dogs. The place was very busy, had a waiting list of 35 minutes. Because of objections to the unmasked we decided to go to Noah's in Bacliff just to appease her.

Noahs was pretty busy but the staff was following the masked protocol, They were able to seat us and the food was very good.

I don't think that the no mask wearing at Topwater is hurting them much, they were at capacity. I was irritated because I really wanted to check the place out. Their business their rules. Same for Noahs
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by BigGuy »

I stopped by What-a-burger Friday night. They're open for dine in again. The place was full. Only me and two other people (not counting staff who were wearing masks.) were wearing a mask.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 6

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Liberty wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:50 pm My niece with her two kids is visiting from California. We were going into TopWater Grill in San Leon. She walked in and ran out as if she had seen a pack of attacking rabid dogs. The place was very busy, had a waiting list of 35 minutes. Because of objections to the unmasked we decided to go to Noah's in Bacliff just to appease her.

Noahs was pretty busy but the staff was following the masked protocol, They were able to seat us and the food was very good.

I don't think that the no mask wearing at Topwater is hurting them much, they were at capacity. I was irritated because I really wanted to check the place out. Their business their rules. Same for Noahs
I have to ask. Do you think being from Kalifornia, they have been instilled with an extra dose of Covid fear?

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

N95 masks are now affordable and plentiful

Anybody who is at risk should be wearing an N95. At this point most people have probably already been exposed to the original virus and either got sick or didn't, but the new variants are out there.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:47 pm
Liberty wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:50 pm My niece with her two kids is visiting from California. We were going into TopWater Grill in San Leon. She walked in and ran out as if she had seen a pack of attacking rabid dogs. The place was very busy, had a waiting list of 35 minutes. Because of objections to the unmasked we decided to go to Noah's in Bacliff just to appease her.

I have to ask. Do you think being from Kalifornia, they have been instilled with an extra dose of Covid fear?
It's certainly a part of it. She is obsessive anyway about everything. Have you ever seen Monk the tv show? All the same, everyone draws their line at different places. There is no way I would fly on a plane. She did. She will have a panic attack if she sees someone not wearing a mask. Then again as a single mother being locked down for a year some unreasonable paranoia should be expected. I think that any restaurant should require their employees to wear mask. I also believe that it should be the business owners decision. Not requiring a mask for a restaurant does seem to indicate a lack of concern of health and sanitary issues, this is a seafood restaurant after all. I've said it before. For me a mask isn't just about spreading Wuflu, its about etiquette. I am very unlikely to catch or spread any WuFlus, but wear a mask when going into public buildings for the same reason I wear shirt and pants into the same places.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

AF-Odin wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:47 pm I may not like their rules, but their property, their rules. Where I live, there are three places to shop for groceries:
I haven't had as much of a problem with this as I have the fact that it WASN'T businesses making their own rules as much as it was politicians forcing those rules on businesses with the threat of taking away their business if the business owners didn't comply. I'd offer the food fight that is now going on between AG Paxton and Austin as an example. Clay-J would be there, too, if he thought that he could get away with it.

For places like Wal-Mart, the pressure behind the scenes for them to hold the political line is as real as the Austin mandate. I completely agree that other businesses like Target are going to do it on their own. I would submit that Wal-Mart no more wants to be in the mask mandate enforcement business than they originally wanted to be in the open carry bans. They are still spending resources in counting the people coming and going to their stores - and for what? Perhaps I've missed it, but I haven't seen a single instance in the past 10 months of a store denying entrance to recently arriving customers because they were already at capacity for the number of customers inside. And places like Kroger are often packed.

On another thread, I posted about the story that I heard from a pet store owner. An elderly man came into her her business and yelled at one of her 16 yo employees for not wearing a mask. The man demanded to see a manager. The owner told the man that she would be happy to put on her mask and have the 16 yo put on hers if it made him feel more comfortable. He became livid and demanded that she enforce a mask mandate on all of her employees all the time, including when there were not customers in the store. The owner politely refused. Where is the store owner's right to make their own rules in such scenarios? And yes, this happened after Gov. Abbots recent rule change. The man has a right not to shop in the store if he doesn't like the store's policy. But he and others like him do not have any right to force his ideas on others. I was once similarly accosted in a lawn mower shop. I was talking with the owner and neither of us had masks on. A newly arriving customer lit into me for not having a mask. My first impulse was to sarcastically offer to give him a big hug and make him feel better. I simply said that I had left my mask in the car. He wisely didn't push me further. I was leaving anyway. I have no idea what he said to the owner after I did.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

I forgot my mask when I went to HEB yesterday. No problems and I saw a few other men without.
Charlie

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I don’t wear a mask and won’t. 99%+ aren’t doing a single thing other than appease middle age hysterical suburban women. If a store will not allow me to shop without a mask, I go somewhere else.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”