Is a digital image of your LTC sufficient?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 3

Is a digital image of your LTC sufficient?

Post by Scott in Houston »

I tried a search because I could swear I saw a thread on this in the last few years, but cannot find anything, so asking here.

When driving, the police will accept a digital image of your Drivers License when pulled over. (i.e., an image on your phone) Is the same true for a the LTC?

Mel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is a digital image of your LTC sufficient?

Post by Mel »

I don't think so......However, I didn't think they would accept a picture of you driver's license either.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tex1961 »

No.. You must have card in hand...

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Mel wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:45 pm I don't think so......However, I didn't think they would accept a picture of you driver's license either.
I may be mistaken that it's a given practice with all LEO's but I've personally gone that route once with a police officer and she was fine with it.
It could be that I was lucky because I was also just given a warning.

I do know for a fact that for your proof of insurance, a photo image is ok, but can see why it may not be for your DL or LTC because you could forge things via photoshop, etc.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Scott in Houston wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:22 pm
Mel wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:45 pm I don't think so......However, I didn't think they would accept a picture of you driver's license either.
I may be mistaken that it's a given practice with all LEO's but I've personally gone that route once with a police officer and she was fine with it.
It could be that I was lucky because I was also just given a warning.

I do know for a fact that for your proof of insurance, a photo image is ok, but can see why it may not be for your DL or LTC because you could forge things via photoshop, etc.
As soon as they type your number in their computer, your picture pops up with your police record. They would quickly know if it was a forgery. Not a LTC but I have been stopped when I did not have my DL with me. I gave them the number and they were fine with it. Technically though, I think you are required to have the actual LTC if carrying and DL if driving. If the cop is a stickler or in a bad mood, they might give you crap over not having the actual on you.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:35 pmAs soon as they type your number in their computer, your picture pops up with your police record. They would quickly know if it was a forgery. Not a LTC but I have been stopped when I did not have my DL with me. I gave them the number and they were fine with it. Technically though, I think you are required to have the actual LTC if carrying and DL if driving. If the cop is a stickler or in a bad mood, they might give you crap over not having the actual on you.
The law still requires you to have your actual LTC with you IF you have a firearm in your possession, even if you do not need the LTC to carry the weapon such as concealed in your car. There is no penalty for not having it though.

Transportation Code section 521.025 says you will have the driver's license in your possession while operating a motor vehicle and show it on demand. BUT, and this is important, it is also stated that it is a defense if you show it to the judge at your trial and it was valid at the time of offense.

Between the lack of penalty and the defense, it is really questionable if anyone can do anything to you for not obeying the law, even though technically the law still requires you to carry the physical copies. Most police officers will run it either way (if you have one to show them or not) and will know if it is valid or not pretty quickly. The penalties for lying about it can get severe (like felony severe under the wrong circumstances).
Steve Rothstein

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

srothstein wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:05 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:35 pmAs soon as they type your number in their computer, your picture pops up with your police record. They would quickly know if it was a forgery. Not a LTC but I have been stopped when I did not have my DL with me. I gave them the number and they were fine with it. Technically though, I think you are required to have the actual LTC if carrying and DL if driving. If the cop is a stickler or in a bad mood, they might give you crap over not having the actual on you.
The law still requires you to have your actual LTC with you IF you have a firearm in your possession, even if you do not need the LTC to carry the weapon such as concealed in your car. There is no penalty for not having it though.

Transportation Code section 521.025 says you will have the driver's license in your possession while operating a motor vehicle and show it on demand. BUT, and this is important, it is also stated that it is a defense if you show it to the judge at your trial and it was valid at the time of offense.

Between the lack of penalty and the defense, it is really questionable if anyone can do anything to you for not obeying the law, even though technically the law still requires you to carry the physical copies. Most police officers will run it either way (if you have one to show them or not) and will know if it is valid or not pretty quickly. The penalties for lying about it can get severe (like felony severe under the wrong circumstances).
Pretty much what I was thinking. The officer did inform me that I was required to have my DL on me and I assumed the same applies to an LTC. Fortunately, he was willing to let it slide. On the other hand, I forgot my fishing license and even though the warden pulled my DL up and saw I had one, he still gave me a ticket for not having it with me. Went to the judge, judge lectured me about having it and dismissed the ticket.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

DPS at instructor school answered that question from a student and said Yes, you must have your actual license on you if you are carrying.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Good stuff. Explains why I was given a pass for not having my DL.
Thanks for all the replies.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Yeah, it's probably one of those situations where it depends on the officer involved, but they regulations state that you're supposed to have the physical card when you're carrying.
NRA lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”