Clear is not a color

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Clear is not a color

Post by chasfm11 »

There was an interesting segment on the Tucker Carlson show last night about the Federal government re-defining terms like "alien" to "non-citizen" for use by the Border Patrol, etc. The guest who came on talked about "he who defines the words controls the narrative." We are seeing that with the way that the term "racism" is defined as well as the traditional "assault rifle" that we have all come to know and love. Further, if you have been following the Branca analysis of the Chauvin trial, you have seen the legal terms there twisted to mean or imply things that they don't. Mad Maxine is screaming about "1st Degree Murder" which ordinarily requires proof of per-meditation - unless the mob says that it doesn't.

My point is that the "clear" discussion will likely hinge on the circumstances. By- pass a 30.06 sign in Dallas that is on clear glass and get detected and I'm guessing that the DA is going to make sure you at least pay the fine. Do that same thing In Denton or Tarrant Counties and if the sheriffs are involved are unlikely to even write you up. Equal justice under the law is dead and already stiff as a board.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LDB415 »

This came up in discussion today with the same points being made and the same conclusion that any lettering on a clear glass or other material is not valid under the current requirement of the law. It may be argued by some, and may be attempted to be enforced and penalized by some, but is not valid if one goes by the specific requirement of the law. Still an interesting discussion and debate.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BigGuy »

At the end of the day, a Judge will make that call. Chances are he won't be strong on physics. But he will have good understanding of the intent of the law. Could you reasonably see the sign or not. If he thinks, you could, you're in trouble.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

The Store Chain SPROUTS are posted, however it's Black lettering on Tinted Glass, and next to impossible to see from the Parking Lot!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LDB415 »

BigGuy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:25 pm At the end of the day, a Judge will make that call. Chances are he won't be strong on physics. But he will have good understanding of the intent of the law. Could you reasonably see the sign or not. If he thinks, you could, you're in trouble.
Hopefully the judge will rule based on the letter of the law, an exact and concrete thing, and not the intent of the law, a vague and interpretive thing at best.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I concur that clear is not a color, but imagine that someone might pay several thousand dollars in legal fees to demonstrate that in a court room.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

To me, clear has nothing to do with color. It is a description of clarity. When I perform urinalysis, CSF, or other body fluid testing in my laboratory there's entries for color and then clarity. Clear falls under clarity and includes things like cloudy, hazy, turbid, or bloody to name a few.

I suppose tinted glass could be considered to have color and still be clear.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Tex1961 »

Paladin wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:29 am I concur that clear is not a color, but imagine that someone might pay several thousand dollars in legal fees to demonstrate that in a court room.
I agree. If spending thousands of dollars and time away from work sitting in a courtroom to fight a misdemeanor charge floats your boat then go for it. I believe intent would rule the decision unless it was very obvious the signage was impossible for any normal person to notice.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

C-dub wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:59 pm To me, clear has nothing to do with color. It is a description of clarity. When I perform urinalysis, CSF, or other body fluid testing in my laboratory there's entries for color and then clarity. Clear falls under clarity and includes things like cloudy, hazy, turbid, or bloody to name a few.

I suppose tinted glass could be considered to have color and still be clear.
In the petroleum industry certain products have stringent color standards like kerosene/jet fuel. The appearance standard for colorless is termed "water white". :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I have every confidence in the legal system...to put good people in jail for violating even the tiniest perceived bit in regards to carrying a handgun for self-defense.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:59 am I have every confidence in the legal system...to put good people in jail for violating even the tiniest perceived bit in regards to carrying a handgun for self-defense.
:thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”