What is Abbott waiting for?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 2

What is Abbott waiting for?

Post by BCGlocker »

Today is Sunday, May 30th! Tomorrow, the 31st and Memorial Day, the last day of Texas 2021 legislative session! What is Abbot waiting for signing all the pro 2A bill below on his desk? What am I missing here?

Helpful information from TSRA:

Heads up, Gun Owners. The following is from TSRA---TEXAS STATE RIFLE ASSOCIATION

Greetings!

You already know that House Bill 1927 by Representative Matt Schaefer passed and is on it's way to the Governor's desk! Governor Abbott has already said he'd sign it! The effective date is September 1, 2021. (Permitless Carry)

Also, I have reported that House Bill 2622 by Representative Justin Holland (Sanctuary State) has been sent to the Governor.

House Bill 957 by Representative Tom Oliverson has been sent to the Governor for his signature. This is the "Suppressor Bill" many of you have asked about. A suppressor that is entirely manufactured in Texas with Texas materials would be considered legal by Texas as long as you don't cross state lines. It must also be stamped "Made in Texas" . There are requirements for manufacturers so if you are one and want to know more, email me, please.

Senate Bill 550 by Senator Drew Springer has been sent to the Governor. This bill changed the law to allow LTC holders to choose their holster, if they Open Carry.

House Bill 2112 by Representative Will Metcalf also passed and awaits a signature. This bill also eliminates the requirement for which holster LTC holders use for Open Carry.

House Bill 1500 by Representative Cole Hefner is also on it's way for the Governor's signature. This bill says that in a declared emergency or disaster, NO Governor can prohibit or restrict the sale, transportation, or use of firearms and/or ammunition. Remember this is NOT in reference to anything Governor Abbott has done but does protect us long into the future with any Governor.

Senate Bill 19 by Senator Brandon Creighton is on it's way to the Governor's desk. This is the bill that forbids state agencies from doing business with a company who has a practice or policy of discriminating against a firearm entity.

Senate Bill 20 by Senator Donna Campbell is also headed for signature by the Governor. This bill allows lawful possessors of firearms and/or ammunition to transport the same directly to their hotel room and directly to their vehicle. (The establishment may make a provision for "cased" or "concealed" firearms, so bring your long gun case if you are traveling.)

House Bill 2675 by Representative Ryan Guillen also passed and awaits the Governor's signature. This would allow for expedited LTC's for those under protective orders for the duration of that protective order.

House Bill 918 by Representative Ben Leman has been sent to the Governor for signature. This bill allows for those over the age of 18 AND in possession of a protective order, to be eligible for a temporary LTC for the duration of the order.

House Bill 1407 by Representative Matt Schaeffer is on the Governor's desk. This allows for LTC's to keep their gun in a holster, but no longer requires the owner to keep the gun out of sight while in their vehicle, as long as the firearm and the LTC holder are in the vehicle.

House Bill 1387 by Representative Cody Harris allows Foster parents to store their firearms and ammunition in the same locked safe and removes the trigger lock requirement.

Session doesn't officially end until Monday and I will check my tracker to see if there are additional bills of note to send to you but otherwise I think these are the biggest ones.

We had an amazing year in the Legislature and I am so proud of all of you who made phone calls and/or sent emails. We are a team and I can't do this work without your support. Thank you so very much!

If you have more questions or want to know about another bill, please hit "reply" and let me know. I have about 250 bills on my tracker so, if there's a particular one I didn't mention, let me know and I'll get back to you!

Thank you all again!!!!!!

--------------

Andi Turner

Legislative Director

TSR
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What is Abbott waiting for?

Post by Flightmare »

BCGlocker wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:54 pm Today is Sunday, May 30th! Tomorrow, the 31st and Memorial Day, the last day of Texas 2021 legislative session! What is Abbot waiting for signing all the pro 2A bill below on his desk? What am I missing here?

Helpful information from TSRA:

Heads up, Gun Owners. The following is from TSRA---TEXAS STATE RIFLE ASSOCIATION

Greetings!

You already know that House Bill 1927 by Representative Matt Schaefer passed and is on it's way to the Governor's desk! Governor Abbott has already said he'd sign it! The effective date is September 1, 2021. (Permitless Carry)

Also, I have reported that House Bill 2622 by Representative Justin Holland (Sanctuary State) has been sent to the Governor.

House Bill 957 by Representative Tom Oliverson has been sent to the Governor for his signature. This is the "Suppressor Bill" many of you have asked about. A suppressor that is entirely manufactured in Texas with Texas materials would be considered legal by Texas as long as you don't cross state lines. It must also be stamped "Made in Texas" . There are requirements for manufacturers so if you are one and want to know more, email me, please.

Senate Bill 550 by Senator Drew Springer has been sent to the Governor. This bill changed the law to allow LTC holders to choose their holster, if they Open Carry.

House Bill 2112 by Representative Will Metcalf also passed and awaits a signature. This bill also eliminates the requirement for which holster LTC holders use for Open Carry.

House Bill 1500 by Representative Cole Hefner is also on it's way for the Governor's signature. This bill says that in a declared emergency or disaster, NO Governor can prohibit or restrict the sale, transportation, or use of firearms and/or ammunition. Remember this is NOT in reference to anything Governor Abbott has done but does protect us long into the future with any Governor.

Senate Bill 19 by Senator Brandon Creighton is on it's way to the Governor's desk. This is the bill that forbids state agencies from doing business with a company who has a practice or policy of discriminating against a firearm entity.

Senate Bill 20 by Senator Donna Campbell is also headed for signature by the Governor. This bill allows lawful possessors of firearms and/or ammunition to transport the same directly to their hotel room and directly to their vehicle. (The establishment may make a provision for "cased" or "concealed" firearms, so bring your long gun case if you are traveling.)

House Bill 2675 by Representative Ryan Guillen also passed and awaits the Governor's signature. This would allow for expedited LTC's for those under protective orders for the duration of that protective order.

House Bill 918 by Representative Ben Leman has been sent to the Governor for signature. This bill allows for those over the age of 18 AND in possession of a protective order, to be eligible for a temporary LTC for the duration of the order.

House Bill 1407 by Representative Matt Schaeffer is on the Governor's desk. This allows for LTC's to keep their gun in a holster, but no longer requires the owner to keep the gun out of sight while in their vehicle, as long as the firearm and the LTC holder are in the vehicle.

House Bill 1387 by Representative Cody Harris allows Foster parents to store their firearms and ammunition in the same locked safe and removes the trigger lock requirement.

Session doesn't officially end until Monday and I will check my tracker to see if there are additional bills of note to send to you but otherwise I think these are the biggest ones.

We had an amazing year in the Legislature and I am so proud of all of you who made phone calls and/or sent emails. We are a team and I can't do this work without your support. Thank you so very much!

If you have more questions or want to know about another bill, please hit "reply" and let me know. I have about 250 bills on my tracker so, if there's a particular one I didn't mention, let me know and I'll get back to you!

Thank you all again!!!!!!

--------------

Andi Turner

Legislative Director

TSR
The answer is, he's waiting for the press conference. The legislation does not have to be signed by the end of session to become law. In fact, he has until the 20th of June to sign it if he wishes. If he does not sign it at all (basically a zero percent chance of happening), it becomes law anyways. Abbott has a pile of bills on his desk awaiting his signature. 1927 is one of the few bills that he's likely going to wait for the big press conference. He is likely waiting until the reps/senators who were key to passage have availability. They've been working long hours in both chambers, and likely will until sine die tomorrow. Be patient, it will happen.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Rafe
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rafe »

Flightmare wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:01 pm The answer is, he's waiting for the press conference. The legislation does not have to be signed by the end of session to become law. In fact, he has until the 20th of June to sign it if he wishes. If he does not sign it at all (basically a zero percent chance of happening), it becomes law anyways. Abbott has a pile of bills on his desk awaiting his signature. 1927 is one of the few bills that he's likely going to wait for the big press conference. He is likely waiting until the reps/senators who were key to passage have availability. They've been working long hours in both chambers, and likely will until sine die tomorrow. Be patient, it will happen.
:iagree: You beat me to it. SB 7, the voter integrity bill, passed after a marathon session last night. That's a biggie. In fact, from a conservative/Republican perspective, this legislative session has to be really annoying to the left. We've accomplished an awful lot.

With this being the first 3-day weekend that's essentially maskless since the pandemic began, my bet is that good PR dictates the governor wait out this week while folks are on vacation. Then I'd expect a well-televised press conference, where he talks about all the major bills passed and puts pen to paper, sometime next week, probably sometime the 7th through the 10th. Although, saying that, the last day of the school year for many districts will be June 11, so it's possible the press conference could be pushed another week, so like the 14th through 17th. But my bet is that everything will have inked dried before the 19th.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Thank you for the answer.I did not know he has until June to sign them.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Also, remember that the bills, for the most part, do not become effective until 1 September. Standing by for analysis by the attorneys with whom I shared a conference room at the Capital during this session to do their analysis as well as guidance from DPS.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Rafe wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:18 pmSB 7, the voter integrity bill, passed after a marathon session last night. That's a biggie. In fact, from a conservative/Republican perspective, this legislative session has to be really annoying to the left. We've accomplished an awful lot.
I had not paid that much attention to this bill, but then the mass media caught up to it over the past two days. MSNBC was the worst of the ones I saw, deliberately misleading their audience to make it look like they were cramming it through with no debate because they did not want the Democrats to object. If I had not known our processes better, I would have thought it had been introduced on Thursday and rushed through with no one getting time to read it or debate on it at all. Of course, Biden claimed it was an "assault on our democracy", but at least he did not say it was "neanderthal thinking" again. That one was kind of shot out of the water.

I agree that he will have a big signing party and review of the major bills, and SB7 indicates by its number that it was a legislative priority for the Senate. I think that he will stage more than one press conference, with all the 2A bills being signed at one of them. He is probably making arrangements for the right setting now. He has used Red's Guns in the past, but Austin has a relatively new, up-scale, indoor gun range named (appropriately enough) "The Range at Austin" and he might go there for the better appearance.

I think it would be better to sign SB7 at the Capitol itself. After all, if you are going to stage an assault on Democracy, isn't that the place to do it?
Steve Rothstein

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

srothstein wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:17 pm
Rafe wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:18 pmSB 7, the voter integrity bill, passed after a marathon session last night. That's a biggie. In fact, from a conservative/Republican perspective, this legislative session has to be really annoying to the left. We've accomplished an awful lot.
I had not paid that much attention to this bill, but then the mass media caught up to it over the past two days. MSNBC was the worst of the ones I saw, deliberately misleading their audience to make it look like they were cramming it through with no debate because they did not want the Democrats to object. If I had not known our processes better, I would have thought it had been introduced on Thursday and rushed through with no one getting time to read it or debate on it at all. Of course, Biden claimed it was an "assault on our democracy", but at least he did not say it was "neanderthal thinking" again. That one was kind of shot out of the water.

I agree that he will have a big signing party and review of the major bills, and SB7 indicates by its number that it was a legislative priority for the Senate. I think that he will stage more than one press conference, with all the 2A bills being signed at one of them. He is probably making arrangements for the right setting now. He has used Red's Guns in the past, but Austin has a relatively new, up-scale, indoor gun range named (appropriately enough) "The Range at Austin" and he might go there for the better appearance.

I think it would be better to sign SB7 at the Capitol itself. After all, if you are going to stage an assault on Democracy, isn't that the place to do it?
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

He has made a point in the past to do a bit of showmanship when signing certain bills, like the open carry bill where he mentioned our very own Charles Cotton by name. To be completely honest I would not be surprised if he setup stage outside the Mad Mommie's office and sign the unlicensed carry bill on the sidewalk. He might choose to sign it at an Austin Gun Store, or in the TSRA office, or even at his hometown courthouse. All the whens and wheres depend on his decision of what statement he wants to make and how he wants to make it.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I feel that Abbott is waiting for an opportunity that allows maximum press coverage and maximum participation by legislators and others who worked to pass HB1927. This picture shows Abbott signing the bill for carrying openly in 2015. I expect he is looking for something similar.
https://www.kxan.com/news/abbott-signs- ... -into-law/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Well, an update on SB7, since I brought it up in this topic and spoke too soon. It got through the Senate, but the House...

Texas Dems walk, stop GOP's sweeping voting restrictions
https://abc13.com/politics/texas-dems-w ... /10722051/
Texas Democrats pulled off a dramatic, last-ditch walkout in the state House of Representatives on Sunday night to block passage of one of the most restrictive voting bills in the U.S., leaving Republicans with no choice but to abandon a midnight deadline and declare the legislative session essentially over. The revolt is one of Democrats' biggest protests to date against GOP efforts nationwide to impose stricter election laws, and they used the spotlight to urge President Joe Biden to act on voting rights.
The full text of the engrossed version of this "one of the most restrictive voting bills in the U.S.," what Joe Biden calls an "assault on democracy," is here: https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/b ... 00007E.htm.
Last edited by Rafe on Mon May 31, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Rafe wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:19 pm Well, an update on SB7, since I brought it up in this topic and spoke too soon. It got through the Senate, but the House...

Texas Dems walk, stop GOP's sweeping voting restrictions
https://abc13.com/politics/texas-dems-w ... /10722051/
Texas Democrats pulled off a dramatic, last-ditch walkout in the state House of Representatives on Sunday night to block passage of one of the most restrictive voting bills in the U.S., leaving Republicans with no choice but to abandon a midnight deadline and declare the legislative session essentially over. The revolt is one of Democrats' biggest protests to date against GOP efforts nationwide to impose stricter election laws, and they used the spotlight to urge President Joe Biden to act on voting rights.
When Abbott calls the special session for redistricting, Legislature should put this on the agenda too. It's arguably more important than permitless carry in my opinion.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

ScottDLS wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:22 pm When Abbott calls the special session for redistricting, Legislature should put this on the agenda too. It's arguably more important than permitless carry in my opinion.
I have every confidence that the mere fact the state democrats just stood up and walked away instead of attempting to do their jobs would have Abbott put it on the special session even if it weren't such an important bill.

Frankly, all the screaming and hand-wringing by the leftists that this bill targets and severely impacts people of color is a blatant statement that people of color are too stupid to fill out their own ballots or get a state ID card. It's demeaning, insulting, and racist. The measures are--to use one of the democrats' favorite terms--simply common sense measures to ensure that eligible voters can vote and that every vote will be recorded and counted.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Gov. Abbott says he’ll veto budget item, cut funding for Texas legislative branch
https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politic ... ve-branch/
[On Monday afternoon] Abbott posted a tweet on his personal account that read, “I will veto Article 10 of the budget passed by the legislature. Article 10 funds the legislative branch.” In a dig to state lawmakers, he wrote, “No pay for those who abandon their responsibilities. Stay tuned.”

The social media post came after Senate Bill 7, the controversial GOP-backed election regulations bill, officially died this legislative session. House Democrats all left the House floor just before 11 p.m. on Sunday, breaking quorum and preventing members from being able to vote on it before the midnight deadline.
In a different tweet, the governor said that both SB7 and the bail reform bill, HB20, will be added to the agenda of a special session.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Rafe wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:39 pmIn a different tweet, the governor said that both SB7 and the bail reform bill, HB20, will be added to the agenda of a special session.
I got the impression we are going to have 2 special sessions this year, at a minimum. It sounded like Gov. Abbott may not wait for the census bureau to release its report to call the special section on election and bail reform. I want him/Paxton to find a way to arrest every legislator who walked out. It is not the first time that the Dems have done this and I am really tired of this tactic. To be fair, I have a memory of the Republicans doing the same thing at least once though, and that was just as wrong.
Steve Rothstein

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I agree with waiting for a press conference. I kind of wish it could be a July 4th signing but timeline doesn't work that way.
NRA Benefactor Member

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Rafe wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:08 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:22 pm When Abbott calls the special session for redistricting, Legislature should put this on the agenda too. It's arguably more important than permitless carry in my opinion.
I have every confidence that the mere fact the state democrats just stood up and walked away instead of attempting to do their jobs would have Abbott put it on the special session even if it weren't such an important bill.

Frankly, all the screaming and hand-wringing by the leftists that this bill targets and severely impacts people of color is a blatant statement that people of color are too stupid to fill out their own ballots or get a state ID card. It's demeaning, insulting, and racist. The measures are--to use one of the democrats' favorite terms--simply common sense measures to ensure that eligible voters can vote and that every vote will be recorded and counted.
Gershon calls this “the soft bigotry of low expectations” (link). I personally am disgusted that the left has (in many ways) painted us as the bigots, when in reality they are the ones who demonstrably prove their racism every single day.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”