Traveling through Chicago with a gun

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 3

Traveling through Chicago with a gun

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Thinking about making a trip to NOLA from Dallas via Amtrak just because I've never taken a trip via train before. My main concern is that the return is via Chicago. No reciprocity for Texas LTC. What are my options for bringing a firearm into Illinois? I only plan to be there 5 hours, long enough for my train to depart Chicago and get out of state. Thoughts on this? I've only done a cursory search but from what I can understand, I can bring a lock box and keep the gun and ammo separate while I am "in state".

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Traveling through Chicago with a gun

Post by srothstein »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:02 pm Thinking about making a trip to NOLA from Dallas via Amtrak just because I've never taken a trip via train before. My main concern is that the return is via Chicago. No reciprocity for Texas LTC. What are my options for bringing a firearm into Illinois? I only plan to be there 5 hours, long enough for my train to depart Chicago and get out of state. Thoughts on this? I've only done a cursory search but from what I can understand, I can bring a lock box and keep the gun and ammo separate while I am "in state".
The problem you will have is that you can't bring a gun on the train, except in checked baggage.
Steve Rothstein

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Agree. You'll have more problems with AMTRAK than IL. IL recognizes "federal transport", i.e. unloaded and locked in a case without ammo. In a vehicle, IL recognizes all concealed carry licenses for concealed transport in the vehicle (but can't carry outside the vehicle). And, if you are a TX resident, you are eligible for a non-resident IL CCL.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Thanks. I didn't even take into consideration that it would be a problem with "carrying" on Amtrak. Guess I need to look up on Amtrak's website what sort of rules they have (can I even carry a pocket knife?).

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Checked arms must have an advance reservation.
https://www.amtrak.com/firearms-in-checked-baggage

Forget about CC on board.
https://www.amtrak.com/prohibited-items

If I wanted to go for a scenic train ride, I'd fly to Europe.
I'd hop a freight car before I rode Amtrak. YMMV, of course.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

RoyGBiv wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:32 am If I wanted to go for a scenic train ride, I'd fly to Europe.
:iagree: about the Europe part.

My wife and I have taken the high speed train from Amsterdam to Paris (same one they made a movie about a few years ago), and we also travelled by train throughout Italy a few years ago. It's a great way to see the countryside, plus you get to mingle with locals as we did not encounter a single American on the 6 total trips we took. There was a learning curve in Italy as well as a language barrier, but we figured it out and it made for a great adventure.

One note, at least in Italy, they don't assign a track number for your train until very shortly before your train leaves, so you might find yourself running across the 20+ tracks at the last minute. Also, no point in showing up more than 15 minutes early for the same reason.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:22 am
RoyGBiv wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:32 am If I wanted to go for a scenic train ride, I'd fly to Europe.
:iagree: about the Europe part.

My wife and I have taken the high speed train from Amsterdam to Paris (same one they made a movie about a few years ago), and we also travelled by train throughout Italy a few years ago. It's a great way to see the countryside, plus you get to mingle with locals as we did not encounter a single American on the 6 total trips we took. There was a learning curve in Italy as well as a language barrier, but we figured it out and it made for a great adventure.

One note, at least in Italy, they don't assign a track number for your train until very shortly before your train leaves, so you might find yourself running across the 20+ tracks at the last minute. Also, no point in showing up more than 15 minutes early for the same reason.
I used the train many times in Germany in the 70s and 80s. I would not now. 15:17 to Paris. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_15:17_to_Paris
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Traveling through Chicago?
364 Homicides so far this year?
Yeah, I'd bring a gun.
A belt fed .50!

There have to be better places to visit.
Keep looking.

Topic author
Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Chemist45 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:56 pm Traveling through Chicago?
364 Homicides so far this year?
Yeah, I'd bring a gun.
A belt fed .50!

There have to be better places to visit.
Keep looking.
Not sure if you saw but only passing through Chicago and only be there for like 5 hours.

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

I don't know if you have to declare you firearm in the checked baggage or not. If you do then it WILL be noticed at the Chicago end. If you have to collect your baggage and have it in your possession you are in violation (of their laws). If your baggage is checked through to another destination without you handling it you might be okay. If you miss a connection or end up staying the night then you have a big problem.

My biggest problem with trains is from this area you almost have to go through Chicago. If I go to Maine it then goes through Buffalo to Boston. There I would have to collect my baggage and take a taxi to a distant terminal in another part of the city to catch a train to Portland, Me. Maine is reasonably gun friendly, but getting through NAZI land without being hassled is another story.
N5PNZ

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

My advice, call Amtrak. You are checking your gun, leave the gun checked and let them handle the baggage.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

This is the United States America! It is ridiculous to have jump through so many hoops to be able to just what you the RIGHT to do. I hope it all works out for you.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”