LTC requal revolver question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thetexan
Posts in topic: 1

LTC requal revolver question

Post by thetexan »

Is there any requirement that a double action revolver must be fired in double action mode during a LTC instructor requal (or a non-instructor qual for that matter) or may the revolver be shot as single action - cock and shoot, cock and shoot during a multi-shot string. If so where is the reference for that requirement found in writing please?

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Re: LTC requal revolver question

Post by Tex1961 »

Nope.. None at all.... You can shoot SA or DA however you wish...

howdy

Post by howdy »

I have been an Instructor since 2002 and I always qual single action. I shoot my revolver every 2 years....50 rounds to practice and 50 rounds to qualify. ;-)
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

extremist
Posts in topic: 2

Post by extremist »

howdy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:42 pm I have been an Instructor since 2002 and I always qual single action. I shoot my revolver every 2 years....50 rounds to practice and 50 rounds to qualify. ;-)
Practice :lol:

I always shoot it cold. Just like if I had to defend myself ;-)
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

extremist wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:54 pm
howdy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:42 pm I have been an Instructor since 2002 and I always qual single action. I shoot my revolver every 2 years....50 rounds to practice and 50 rounds to qualify. ;-)

LOL. For sure. Unless your shooting a 22, 50 rounds of practice and 50 rounds of qualification is almost $100.00 in ammunition for a revolver now days.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Tex1961 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:17 pm

LOL. For sure. Unless your shooting a 22, 50 rounds of practice and 50 rounds of qualification is almost $100.00 in ammunition for a revolver now days.
Pardon, My ignorance. But can you shoot .22 for instructor quals?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Liberty wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:39 pm
Tex1961 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:17 pm

Pardon, My ignorance. But can you shoot .22 for instructor quals?
Darned good question. My uninformed opinion is no. When doing quals in Florence they say minimum of 38 caliber.

extremist
Posts in topic: 2

Post by extremist »

See https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/r ... ch=6&rl=33

Here it is, and it is still in effect:

A qualified handgun instructor applicant must bring the required equipment, detailed in this section, to handgun proficiency training: one semi-automatic handgun; one non semi-automatic handgun; ammunition; ear protection (over-the-ear) and eye protection; other appropriate protective clothing; and other equipment as determined by the department. Handguns must be at least .32 caliber.

However I did find at least one commercial website that claims instructors can qualify with .22. So, don't know 100% and can't find anything specific to instructors other that the regulation above.

For applicants, it was changed to .22 caliber in 2017 session:

(SB263 by Senator Perry/Representative Drew Springer)

Since 1995, there has been a minimum caliber requirement in the statute for the range proficiency portion of the Texas License to Carry class. Range Proficiency requires the applicant shoot a 50-round course of fire.

Currently, those seeking a license must test with a .32 caliber or higher handgun although there is no caliber requirement regarding the firearm carried by the licensee on a day to day basis. This minimum caliber requirement negatively impacts those with hand injuries and the elderly who wish to obtain a license.

SB 263 by Senator Perry removes the caliber requirement for the range proficiency exam necessary to obtain a Texas License to Carry. The bill takes effect September 1.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Had another instructor whom I did the requal for last time used a Ruger Blackhawk .357 for this portion. Firearm is SA only. Only requirement was to shoot within the stated time limits for each segment of the Proficiency Demonstration. AFAIK, the caliber requirement for instructors has not changed.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”