CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bobby
Posts in topic: 1

OK what is a 46.03 sign?

Post by bobby »

I saw this on a diff site. What does it mean? and does it apply to my LTC
Last edited by bobby on Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:txflag:

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 7

Re: OK what is a 46.03 sign?

Post by Tex1961 »

46.03 is for prohibited places such as schools, racetrack, airports. Where is this taken. Lots of new businesses will probably mistakenly post 46.03 instead of 30.05.

Does this affect your LTC. Good question. Legally no if incorrectly posted, but (there is always a but). By the spirit of the law they don’t want you carrying a firearm in their location. But if you are concealed and LTC then it’s not really effective notice. An owner, employee or agent must give you written or oral notice to leave. Unless of course it’s a prohibited location then it’s a NO GO Location.

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AF-Odin »

From the looks of the artwork looks like it could be a school. If so, they really do not need to post as they are a prohibited place anyway unless with written permission or policy to carry. I know a number of schools in my area have posted 30.06 and 30.07 signs even though schools do not have to post to be a prohibited area. If not a school, could be improper posting of wrong sign. I expect we will see more of this in the next few months.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

howdy

Post by howdy »

The places putting up the 46:03 signs DO NOT need to put up signs to ban licensed and unlicensed carry. These places are no carry by statute. (Schools, race tracks, polling places, etc.) I believe they might put them up to inform the unlicensed not to carry there.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

howdy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:23 pm The places putting up the 46:03 signs DO NOT need to put up signs to ban licensed and unlicensed carry. These places are no carry by statute. (Schools, race tracks, polling places, etc.) I believe they might put them up to inform the unlicensed not to carry there.
Correct, will be interesting to see how many will get caught carrying in restricted places after 9/1

jmorris
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmorris »

Tex1961 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:51 pm
howdy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:23 pm The places putting up the 46:03 signs DO NOT need to put up signs to ban licensed and unlicensed carry. These places are no carry by statute. (Schools, race tracks, polling places, etc.) I believe they might put them up to inform the unlicensed not to carry there.
Correct, will be interesting to see how many will get caught carrying in restricted places after 9/1
I believe this is the exact reason for the 46.03 signs. CC carriers that do not bother to learn the laws will not know they cannot legally carry in these locations. These signs are to inform the uninformed.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

oljames3
Posts in topic: 6

Post by oljames3 »

See page 14 of this publication written by Texas lawyers. https://cdn.brandfolder.io/5Z10RK5F/at/ ... igital.pdf
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

oljames3 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:44 pm See page 14 of this publication written by Texas lawyers. https://cdn.brandfolder.io/5Z10RK5F/at/ ... igital.pdf
thats a great read
thanks
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

When I was listening to Dr. Lott's testimony in the committee hearing in Austin, he stated (and I am paraphrasing) that in those states which had enacted a form of permit-less carry, applications for carry permits declined initially and this decline usually lasted 6 months or so. Then, when people started getting arrested for not knowing the law, applications increased and later exceeded the applications before enactment of permit-less carry. We shall see how this goes in Texas. in my part of the state, I have definitely seen a decline in the number of students compared to the last two summers.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

That is a very well put together guide and is clear even for those not used to reading legalese.

Giving it a read could keep folks out of trouble they could easily get into with all the law changes grouped under the title of "constitutional carry." There are a bunch of them.

An important note is that obtaining and maintaining an LTC is still very worthwhile and carries significant privileges and benefits not available to those without an LTC. Example: if you forget a handgun in your carryon bag at the airport security checkpoint, an LTC holder gets the opportunity for a "do over" and can leave and secure his gun somewhere before going through again. A non-LTC holder goes right into cuffs for a felony.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Excaliber wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:05 am That is a very well put together guide and is clear even for those not used to reading legalese.

Giving it a read could keep folks out of trouble they could easily get into with all the law changes grouped under the title of "constitutional carry." There are a bunch of them.

An important note is that obtaining and maintaining an LTC is still very worthwhile and carries significant privileges and benefits not available to those without an LTC. Example: if you forget a handgun in your carryon bag at the airport security checkpoint, an LTC holder gets the opportunity for a "do over" and can leave and secure his gun somewhere before going through again. A non-LTC holder goes right into cuffs for a felony.
:iagree:
I’ve had some VERY frank conversations with about 1/2 dozen or more young gentleman of African decent. We talked about the different perceptions of police towards those with LTC and those that don’t have a LTC, especially related to skin color. I see a lot of head nods, light bulbs going on, etc. I’ve had several thank you’s and possible new students.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

double down on a GREAT presentation in this document.

my wife was up until after 4 am reading and re-reading and writing down questions.
we have had numerous hours this morning on the merits and rules plus the LTC of which i have.
its a fantastic little teaching document and my household is very very thankful it was put together. :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
really like the references that make it easier to go read the law to further help guide the brain

i did find the chart to be odd in regards to signage and how the law makes its seem funny, if posted one way then only unlicensed holders are allowed :biggrinjester:
Attachments
2021-08-22.png
Last edited by powerboatr on Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 10

Post by ScottDLS »

Excaliber wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:05 am That is a very well put together guide and is clear even for those not used to reading legalese.

There's a good chance DHS/TSA will take your gun and not give it back and you could be subject to federal civil penalties running into thousands of dollars. And, remember the "do over" is only the dreaded "defense to prosecution" (which of course so is carrying anywhere WITH LTC, until Sept 1., but I digress). :rules:

ETA: Don't ask me how I know this...I won't tell. :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 10

Post by ScottDLS »

powerboatr wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:29 pm double down on a GREAT presentation in this document.

my wife was up until after 4 am reading and re-reading and writing down questions.
we have had numerous hours this morning on the merits and rules plus the LTC of which i have.
its a fantastic little teaching document and my household is very very thankful it was put together. :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
really like the references that make it easier to go read the law to further help guide the brain

i did find the chart to be odd in regards to signage and how the law makes its seem funny, if posted one way then only unlicensed holders are allowed :biggrinjester:
That and the contention that a Beretta silhouette with a circle and a slash constitutes effective notice under 30.05. Lawyers being lawyers, especially since they have prepaid legal services offerings and it is in their interest to dissuade you from being the proverbial "test case".
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

ScottDLS wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:46 pm
powerboatr wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:29 pm double down on a GREAT presentation in this document.

That and the contention that a Beretta silhouette with a circle and a slash constitutes effective notice under 30.05. Lawyers being lawyers, especially since they have prepaid legal services offerings and it is in their interest to dissuade you from being the proverbial "test case".
What contention, it’s pretty black and white for non LTC.. Gun buster signs are effective notice under C carry.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”