Pocket Carry No Holster

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Pocket Carry No Holster

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:02 pm Other than being bad form, printing is irrelevant and not regulated under law.

Pocket carry without a holster is legal, but monumentally stupid.

Pocket carry with a kydex trigger cover of some kind is legal, and WAY less stupid. Witness the $25 Nolster from Alabama Holster.

Pocket carry with a holster designed for pocket carry is legal, and is by far the best choice in most situations. I have two $40 Front Pocket Holsters from Alabama Holsters—one for my G43, and the other for my M&P340 J-frame.

These holsters are inexpensive, rugged, conceal well, and are comfortable in the pocket—having outlasted both of the Desantis Nemesis holsters I owned previously.

Did I mention that pocket carry without a holster is a bad idea?
Which pocket does that G17 go in with that trigger guard? :lol:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:40 am
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:34 am
K.Mooneyham wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:27 am
FuziDave wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:50 am not sure it was the OP's intent, but to follow up, then is "printing" not a big deal now?
"Printing" may be something someone doesn't personally want to do because they wish to be fully concealed. However, Texas Penal Code doesn't address that and it is NOT "against the law" to the best of my understanding. There are others on here who are more knowledgeable than me, and are free to correct me or add to what I stated, of course.
I believe this is correct. "Printing" is not illegal. I'm not sure it has ever been in the 12 years that I've had my CHL / LTC.
I really didn't think so. I have found a tendency for folks to want to apply law (or lore) from other states to Texas. Some on this forum may know of my sincere disdain for the term "brandishing", which doesn't appear in Texas Penal Code regarding carry of handguns.
I might be mistaken, there's sometimes a fair chance of that, but didn't the word "brandishing" make it into the new law equating it to carrying in a manor intended or calculated to alarm or something like that? There's also a chance I read that in another states' laws. Since we've been traveling on the Wing I've been trying to keep up with the states we will visit.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

C-dub wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:18 am
FuziDave wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:50 am not sure it was the OP's intent, but to follow up, then is "printing" not a big deal now?
"Printing" may be something someone doesn't personally want to do because they wish to be fully concealed. However, Texas Penal Code doesn't address that and it is NOT "against the law" to the best of my understanding. There are others on here who are more knowledgeable than me, and are free to correct me or add to what I stated, of course.
I believe this is correct. "Printing" is not illegal. I'm not sure it has ever been in the 12 years that I've had my CHL / LTC.
I really didn't think so. I have found a tendency for folks to want to apply law (or lore) from other states to Texas. Some on this forum may know of my sincere disdain for the term "brandishing", which doesn't appear in Texas Penal Code regarding carry of handguns.
I might be mistaken, there's sometimes a fair chance of that, but didn't the word "brandishing" make it into the new law equating it to carrying in a manor intended or calculated to alarm or something like that? There's also a chance I read that in another states' laws. Since we've been traveling on the Wing I've been trying to keep up with the states we will visit.
The word brandishing is not used anywhere in Chapter 46 (weapons) of the Texas Penal Code.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ScottDLS wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:12 pm
C-dub wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:18 am
The word brandishing is not used anywhere in Chapter 46 (weapons) of the Texas Penal Code.
Then it must have been from another state. :thumbs2:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

C-dub wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:28 pm
ScottDLS wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:12 pm ...

Then it must have been from another state. :thumbs2:
Yeah I've heard of it in other states. I think what people may have missed is that this is why the holster requirement for open carry. The idea is the state doesn't want you walking around in public with a handgun in your hand. If concealed you're obviously not. If you are open carrying then the thought is, it should stay in your holster until you are justified in drawing it. I guess you could open carry with it shoved your pants...

One possible advantage of open carry might be in an escalating threat situation, you could put your hand on your pistol in order to deter an agressor. Now you better be willing to draw it and use it if the threat justifies, but it gives another step before that. Now some people would argue that you should never threaten to use a gun unless you are justified in actually using it. Personally, I disagree. I want multiple steps to deter before I pull the trigger. Put hand on gun. Draw and point. Fire. Obviously very scenario dependent.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

I've been pocket carrying for years with no holster. It was good enough for George Raft, Humphrey Bogart and James Cagney. LOL.
I don't have anything else in my pocket with the pistol and I can withdraw my Kahr easily with no danger of a discharge because I don't have my finger in the trigger guard and the upward motion is the opposite force needed to move the trigger. I've tried the simple leather sleeves called pocket holsters and they just make it cumbersome to get the gun out and it's basically just a pocket in a pocket. YMMV.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

The one and ONLY gun I have carried without a holster was a S&W J Frame revolver. Most have a 8-10 pound trigger pull. I carried with nothing else in that pocket.

Let me add that was back in the day when we didn’t have the choice of holsters we have now. I wouldn’t carry again without a holster now that we has many choices as we have.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LDB415 »

I'm considering an SP101 2.25" hammerless for another in pocket no holster carry option. But my specific cargo pants pocket is basically its own holster as is.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

My EDC is a Beretta PX4 subcompact. It has a few features that would allow safe pocket carry without a holster.

Heavy Double Action first shot.
A manual safety.
An External Hammer, to rest my thumb on when holstering/ unholstering.

I never do though. I keep my guns in a holster at all times unless I'm actually shooting or maintaining them. Because:

A gun in my pocket will pull my pants down more so than a belt holster.
Drawing from a pocket is awkward and slow.
My gun stays cleaner longer and doesn't collect the lint and crud.
If I happen to drop the gun the holster is a little added padding protecting it from damage.

I have on occasion pocket carried my Beretta, but always holstered. I do believe some guns can be safely pocket carried without a holster, although I also believe its not a very good idea.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

C-dub wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:14 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:02 pm Other than being bad form, printing is irrelevant and not regulated under law.

Pocket carry without a holster is legal, but monumentally stupid.

Pocket carry with a kydex trigger cover of some kind is legal, and WAY less stupid. Witness the $25 Nolster from Alabama Holster.

Pocket carry with a holster designed for pocket carry is legal, and is by far the best choice in most situations. I have two $40 Front Pocket Holsters from Alabama Holsters—one for my G43, and the other for my M&P340 J-frame.

These holsters are inexpensive, rugged, conceal well, and are comfortable in the pocket—having outlasted both of the Desantis Nemesis holsters I owned previously.

Did I mention that pocket carry without a holster is a bad idea?
Which pocket does that G17 go in with that trigger guard? :lol:
Don’t know, it it fits my G43 just fine. That said, I never use it, preferring the Alabama Holsters pocket holster.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”