Obtaining Permission letters from Corps of Engineers

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Obtaining Permission letters from Corps of Engineers

Post by Greybeard »

I just yesterday received the "permission letter" from the District Commander in Ft. Worth. It lists coverage for 25 lakes in the Ft. Worth district. Coincidently, Lake Texoma is not one of them. However, Lake Texoma IS listed on the letter I received last month from the Tulsa District Commander.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

couzin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by couzin »

Texhoma is in Tulsa District boundaries. The civil works areas of Corps Districts is based (mostly) on watershed areas. The state of Texas is in four different civil/regulatory districts: Fort Worth; Tulsa; Galveston; and Albuquerque. The military support districts are different animals altogether.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 4

Post by chasfm11 »

I wrote to the office of the Corp of Engineers, Ft. Worth District on August 6th and today, received a response from them dated August 23rd.
1. I'm granted concealed carry (only) on all of the 25 projects included in the Ft. Worth District
2. It is good for 5 years or unless /until 36 C.F.R 327.13(a) is revised.
3. There are other conditions which the permission is withdrawn for violations of State or Federal laws.
4. It does not include the buildings. Of course, the only Federal buildings that I know about are to offices, I cannot image that the building prohibition extends to the bathrooms in the campgrounds.

I view this a good news because we can now (again) use the COE camping in places lIke Georgetown and Lake Whitney. I really enjoyed the State Park at Lake Whitney but, unlike Joe Pool, there were so separate lands that was part of the State control as there are at Cedar Hill

This is a band-aide on a wound for me. I'm really sorry that President Trump didn't see fit to make Nesbit permanent across the country. When we traveled by RV, we liked to stay at the COE parks. With my National Park pass, those campgrounds are very inexpensive. The letter is very specific - only the Ft. Worth District.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

A friend / LTC student wrote and received permission a few months back. Said it only took a few weeks to get his approval.

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

For anyone interested, turn times are pretty quick for the CoE. I wrote the FT Worth Dist in Dec. and got my permission letter in 3/4 weeks, then sent one to Tulsa Dist and got it back in 2 weeks!

:thumbs2:

ORIGINAL TEX

Post by ORIGINAL TEX »

Good luck. As a matter of course they do not give out such permission letters.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

ORIGINAL TEX wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:07 pm Good luck. As a matter of course they do not give out such permission letters.
In case you didn't notice, he was successfully able to get multiple permission letters.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

hammertime

Post by hammertime »

GreyBeard,
Would you happen to have contact info for The C.O.E? I'd like to take my RV to Lake Whitney Park on the 26th, just realized its COE trying to see if i can squeeze it in.

Thanks

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

ORIGINAL TEX wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:07 pm Good luck. As a matter of course they do not give out such permission letters.
Please tell us your source of information. Every person I’ve recommended writing a letter to get permission has done so and received said permission within a very short amount of time.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

hammertime wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:29 pm GreyBeard,
Would you happen to have contact info for The C.O.E? I'd like to take my RV to Lake Whitney Park on the 26th, just realized its COE trying to see if i can squeeze it in.

Thanks
Unless you plan on carrying you should be ok with a firearm in your RV.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Tex1961 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:45 am
Please tell us your source of information. Every person I’ve recommended writing a letter to get permission has done so and received said permission within a very short amount of time.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: I received mine in short order and have sent two others to do the same thing I did. They both got quick responses. Regarding Lake Whitney on another post, I think that getting the letter of permission is so easy, I would do it even if it hasn't arrived by the time that you want to go. FYI, I scanned my letter and dumped it on my phone. I can bring it up if I need to but don't expect to need that. It is more insurance than anything.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

TexasSully

Post by TexasSully »

chasfm11 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:08 pm I
4. It does not include the buildings. Of course, the only Federal buildings that I know about are to offices, I cannot image that the building prohibition extends to the bathrooms in the campgrounds.
I know this thread is a little stale but I just came across it and wanted to chime in. On my letter dated January 4 2022, Separately constructed Bathrooms, camping shelters and picnic areas are specifically excluded from the Buildings definition.

To the poster who states you will wait forever, my request was dated 12/31/21, so a pretty quick turnaround. This is for the FTW district BTW.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

TexasSully wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:59 pm
chasfm11 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:08 pm I
I know this thread is a little stale but I just came across it and wanted to chime in. On my letter dated January 4 2022, Separately constructed Bathrooms, camping shelters and picnic areas are specifically excluded from the Buildings definition.

To the poster who states you will wait forever, my request was dated 12/31/21, so a pretty quick turnaround. This is for the FTW district BTW.
That would make sense, since the ACE is a federal agency and per federal law, LTC holders can carry in National forests, etc. But may not enter ranger stations, information centers, etc... Any federal building..... No federal premises....

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”