Blood in the Street Day Today

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Blood in the Street Day Today

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I'll admit, I don't care for constitutional carry but I hope it opens the eyes on the public about the need for better training. LTC training is _______ and has only gotten worse. I can say that in the past 3 weeks, I've taken numerous groups of friends out to shoot and every one of them has had their eyes open on their lack of skill. These are basically new shooters. Some of them have an LTC, some of them are new gun owners in the past year since COVID hit and the riots. All of them are realizing now they are woefully in adequate in their gun skills. I am realizing that even though I have had plenty of personally of training, I am woefully inadequate to teach others even though I've had one Rangemaster (Shotgun) Instructors Class. I personally need more training.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chasfm11 »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:57 am I'll admit, I don't care for constitutional carry but I hope it opens the eyes on the public about the need for better training. LTC training is _______ and has only gotten worse. I can say that in the past 3 weeks, I've taken numerous groups of friends out to shoot and every one of them has had their eyes open on their lack of skill. These are basically new shooters. Some of them have an LTC, some of them are new gun owners in the past year since COVID hit and the riots. All of them are realizing now they are woefully in adequate in their gun skills. I am realizing that even though I have had plenty of personally of training, I am woefully inadequate to teach others even though I've had one Rangemaster (Shotgun) Instructors Class. I personally need more training.
Good for your for trying to help your fellow citizens. I'm a former school teacher and believe that learning is a lifelong experience. I also attest that I've learned more than my students whenever I tried to teach someone something. Teaching requires one to the mentally organize yourself and suddenly gaps in information and understanding become apparent.

The real question is about whether mandated education, run by some governmental entity, is effective. I was told when I took my then CHL course that the purpose of the more than 10 hour session was NOT to teach me about guns but about helping me build on the knowledge base on guns that i was already supposed to have to make it safe for me to carry a concealed handgun in public. I will submit that my real education for that came in reading this forum and in studying many other materials - NRA videos, books and taking some in-person classes after the CHL class. Since everyone's needs for training and knowledge are different, I would never suggest that what I did would work for someone else or that my path provided everything that I need today.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.click2houston.com/news/poli ... -violence/

Authorities concerned about blood in the streets.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Maybe Chicago should go to constitutional carry- it seems that every place with it has far fewer people getting shot. :lol:

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:06 am So day 3 is behind us. What’s the death toll up to so far?
Well, I'm gainin' weight eatin' the nuthinburgers.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

That click2houston article was just hyperbolic garbage. If it was on paper, it would be fit only to line a bird cage.

OneGun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OneGun »

flechero wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:22 am
OneGun wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:06 am Consider this Moron firing celebratory gunfire near a school: https://news.yahoo.com/tennessee-gender ... 42401.html
Moron for sure but he was at home and in TN - not related to const. Carry.... for all we know he could have been a CHL or a LEO as well.
The man was definitely not a LEO and unlikely he had a permit to carry. Because either would know not to shoot a gun straight up in the air and both would know you can discharge within the city limits except in self-defense or performance of your duty as a LEO, except at a range. A person with a permit would also be more sensitive about being close to schools when firing a gun.

My point was that people that can now carry without the benefit of a licensing class will not know basic things like where you can and cannot carry, etc. More importantly, people that lack basic gun handling skills will acquire and do stupid things with a firearm. We've all read the stories of people hurt or killed by being stupid with a loaded gun. I was always taught that carrying a weapon is a great responsibility. I have a constitutional right, but I also have a responsibility. I am responsible for every round fired from the time I pull the trigger to the time it comes to rest. I have no trouble with constitutional carry. But, I am in favor of training.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Topic author
ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

OneGun wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:08 pm
flechero wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:22 am
OneGun wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:06 am Consider this Moron firing celebratory gunfire near a school: https://news.yahoo.com/tennessee-gender ... 42401.html
Moron for sure but he was at home and in TN - not related to const. Carry.... for all we know he could have been a CHL or a LEO as well.
The man was definitely not a LEO and unlikely he had a permit to carry. Because either would know not to shoot a gun straight up in the air and both would know you can discharge within the city limits except in self-defense or performance of your duty as a LEO, except at a range. A person with a permit would also be more sensitive about being close to schools when firing a gun.

My point was that people that can now carry without the benefit of a licensing class will not know basic things like where you can and cannot carry, etc. More importantly, people that lack basic gun handling skills will acquire and do stupid things with a firearm. We've all read the stories of people hurt or killed by being stupid with a loaded gun. I was always taught that carrying a weapon is a great responsibility. I have a constitutional right, but I also have a responsibility. I am responsible for every round fired from the time I pull the trigger to the time it comes to rest. I have no trouble with constitutional carry. But, I am in favor of training.
Do you think that because of permitless carry, people who are stupid enough to fire guns in the air in a city, will just all of a sudden start doing this because they don't need a permit to carry? Or people that don't realize it's (generally) illegal to carry in a school, even with a permit, will just start doing it? Permitless carry of long guns has been legal in Texas since the Civil War and people do dumb things. A piece of plastic won't change that.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

OneGun wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:08 pm
I guess I'm seeing it from a different perspective. I, too, am very much in favor of training and would love to see PSAs advocating training - but that is never going to happen.

I think it is more of a case of how dumb the Legislature of a population thinks that they are. The Legislature from OK must think their constituents are smarter than Texas Legislature thinks the Texas population is because they've had permit-less carry longer. i guess that I would expect people in OK to do all the possible stupid things with guns that Texans will but if they have, those stupid things haven't made the nightly news. The same could be said of all of the other 20 States that preceded Texas. If there were rampant stupidity in any of those places, I'm certain Bloomberg's minions would have seen to it that the whole country knew about it. I'm not saying that there isn't stupidity or that stupid things won't continue to happen. But the regular people who want guns for self-defense are probably smart enough not to want to go to jail over them. Remember that the vast majority of the people who might carry under the new permit-less rules have probably had guns around their houses for a while. I know that gun sales continue to set records but if those gun sales were bringing a lot of stupidity with them. we would have already seen it.

Most of us with LTCs don't expect to fire our guns in anger for the duration of our natural lives. My guess is that the vast majority of permit-less carriers will be in that same situation. To be honest, I don't think that there will be all that many new daily carriers. Constitutional Carry is more political than actual just like Open Carry was. I think the statistics in the other States that already have it will bear that out.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

flechero

Post by flechero »

OneGun wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:08 pm The man was definitely not a LEO and unlikely he had a permit to carry. Because either would know not to shoot a gun straight up in the air...
The reality is that any person should know better.

My point was that we don't know what he is or isn't... except that he was home in TN and this had nothing to do with constitutional carry, or Texas.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

oljames3 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:50 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:06 am So day 3 is behind us. What’s the death toll up to so far?
6 days. 2 x 0 is still 0.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:02 pm
oljames3 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:50 pm
6 days. 2 x 0 is still 0.
YUP! According to the mass news media, there should have been thousands of gun battles in the streets by now. :biggrinjester:

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

I don't know what you folks are taking about. There were 5 people killed and 53 wounded including 8 children this Labor day weekend.

Oh wait .....

That was gun free utopia of Chicago. Never-mind!

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Here in Deep East Texas, Angelina, County there is a good # of folks that OC on a regular basis. It is now the middle of the month and I have only seen one person that looked like he strapped on his nylon Academy special & a wore out 1" leather belt to go to Home depot. Past that there has been no evidence at all here that the law is being abused. Everyone I have talked to about the advantages of the LTC has said they will renew. The ones w/o a license just keep things as they were. Carry in the vehicle.
No blood in the streets here either.
Will they ever learn??????? Well, I doubt it.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”