Why bother

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

chamberc
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Why bother

Post by chamberc »

AndyC1911 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:14 am You're right, of course - privacy is pretty much gone these days but we can/should still be alert for creeping government encroachment, which I believe is the larger concern behind 1wise1's post.
I agree wholeheartedly... Just don't want people going around thinking they have privacy... they don't.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

chamberc wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:16 am
AndyC1911 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:14 am You're right, of course - privacy is pretty much gone these days but we can/should still be alert for creeping government encroachment, which I believe is the larger concern behind 1wise1's post.
I agree wholeheartedly... Just don't want people going around thinking they have privacy... they don't.
I remember MANY years ago the 1st public cameras that I knew of in Angelina County were put up in one of the high crime areas and were there to stop the plague of public prostitution. I admit it pretty well did the job. BUT every time someone gave an AttaBoy there I asked them What they would think of the cameras when it someday became against the law to own and carry a Bible publicly.
OF course their response was, "Never Happen." Mine then, Read History.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Mission Creep

Post by Liberty »

I grew up in a small town in Massachusetts in the 60's. We hunted carried our .22 rifles and .410s on the public streets when we headed out and back from our shooting ranges (sandpits) and hunting spots. We bought our own ammo. The only permit we had was a hunting license. You could buy a handgun if you just paid the cash. No forms, no FFL, No NICS.

Then they shot Kennedy and things began to change. They asked us to get an FOID. a simple card that was MAY issue. It covered Long weapons and handguns. Later they mandated a pistol permit. these were given out on a "May Issue" basis. I got "permission" in the 70's I knew the right people. The permit was required to purchase and too carry. Today the pistol permit is "Shall Issue", but getting caught unlicensed with a single spent cartridge is a felony and can get you sent to prison. Mission creep in my old home state of Massachusetts is vicious.

I moved to Texas in 1988. I could buy any handgun or long gun I wanted. No permit is required. Things started to change nationally Clinton's assault weapons ban in 94 and the NICS checks soon after. We were at a low point. In Texas, there was no legal way for me to carry in in public. The Texas traveling laws were very arbitrary. The laws were more restrictive than in Leftist Massachusetts. It was a little embarrassing at the time

In 1995 things started getting better. We got the means to be able to carry via a CHL. It was expensive, and time consuming. But at least we had a path that could allow us to carry and protect ourselves. As time went on we were allowed to carry openly. Prices and requirements for our licensing and renewals got cheaper and easier. Our laws got loosened with the MPA and eventually Constitutional Carry.

Sometimes mission creep isn't such a bad thing.
Last edited by Liberty on Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

bbhack
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bbhack »

chamberc wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:16 am
The government and sellers will have their data; it's their life blood. The best we can do is corrupt it a little, to make the AI have to work harder. Do not intentionally fill out government data incorrectly (crime), but for businesses that are being intrusive, do your best.

Here's a quick example. Doc-in-the-box does NOT need your SSN.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

I will renew my LTC.
The benefits are listed above.
Also, still you can conceal with "no guns are allowed" is posted.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”