concealed in briefcase

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thetexan
Posts in topic: 1

concealed in briefcase

Post by thetexan »

Let's say I want to carry my gun in my briefcase at work which has a 30.07 sign prohibiting open carry. I have an LTC.

Does the gun have to be concealed on my body or can it be concealed in the briefcase which I take everywhere with me?

If I leave my office can I lock the briefcase in my lockable cabinet and walk away and go down to the cafeteria leaving the gun locked and concealed in the office and it still be considered concealed (again referring to question #1)?

I'm thinking that as long as the gun is concealed (not visible) and it is within my reach or control then it can be in the briefcase. And I'm thinking that if it is not within my reach and control and I lock it up then it is not me that is carrying a gun and therefore can not be considered concealed carry but rather storage of a gun.

I guess it is a technicality but it seems to me that if I can carry concealed the I must be carrying the gun in one form or another and in my immediate control And, that is I simply lock it in my office I am storing the gun not carrying the gun.

I may be cutting this too fine.

What do yall think?

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Soccerdad1995

Re: concealed in briefcase

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I think the operative question is whether you are "openly carrying" a firearm within the meaning of what a 30.07 sign would prohibit. IANAL, but I think it is questionable whether you are even "carrying" a firearm in the situations you describe. But even if you are "carrying" a firearm, I don't see any way that you are "openly carrying" it.

Just my 2 cents.

That said, your employer could still fire you if it against company policy to have a firearm on company property.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

My opinion in this case is worth at least twice what you're paying for it, and with that in mind I offer a double-your-money-back guarantee —

I think carrying in a brief case could be considered similar to carrying in a purse.

Leaving a weapon in an office, locked or not, might be a totally different matter. I dunno about that one…

I am not a lawyer.
This is not legal advice.
May the Force be with You!
Do not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate.
Objects in Mirror are Larger than they Appear.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

To me. I'd say you were ok "legally anyway' as you well know 30.07 is only for open carry.. A good point was made about carrying in a purse (off body carry) which from my understanding is not anywhere to be found in any of the code as it relates to to LTC... Again, as you are very aware as an instructor, make darned sure nobody else can gain access to your firearm...

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Tex1961 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:26 pm To me. I'd say you were ok "legally anyway' as you well know 30.07 is only for open carry.. A good point was made about carrying in a purse (off body carry) which from my understanding is not anywhere to be found in any of the code as it relates to to LTC... Again, as you are very aware as an instructor, make darned sure nobody else can gain access to your firearm...
Same here from me. Before I retired I addressed briefcase along side purse. You can never turn it loose. Ladies don't leave it in grocery buggy seat and walk to the cheese counter. Men don't set it down on a table and walk away to a chair. Never turn them loose.
1. If you need it YOU can't access it.
2. Easy to snatch.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

I'm in.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

A 7.5 inch AR pistol breaks down nicely and along with some spare mags will fit in a soft briefcase. Don't know how I know that ;-)
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Sinc none of you have gone there yet...

Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Syntyr wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:13 am Since none of you have gone there yet...
Tell me there's a manual safety on that brass-catcher... :lol:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Syntyr wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:13 am Sinc none of you have gone there yet...

oh i want one ...that is cool as chilled watermelon on a hot day :hurry:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

This Wlderness safepacker doesn't change what type of carry it is based on using a belt, shoulder strap or hand carried strap or sealbelt stra
It is concealed carry, it may be concealed on body or off body concealed carry... setting it down & walking away is not carrying though.
i have briefcase carried long ago working in law office...accidentally forgot it was there & into a Harris county civil courthouse many pre metal detector years ago & carried it out to the car at lunch time,so i quit briefcase carrying !

https://www.thewilderness.com/safepacke ... t-holster/

red cross patches look nice on them... the medical device lowers blood pressure of an attacker when used properly

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”