I let my LTC expire

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

I let my LTC expire

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Now that constitutional carry has passed, I decided to allow my LTC expire. There were some "complications" I could have resolved but after thinking about it, decided not to renew. I have believed asking the government for permission to exercise my rights has been wrong all along. So for now. No LTC for me. So far I have not been forbidden carry anywhere my LTC allowed carry. It has always bothered me asking for approval to carry anyway. I may change my mind later but for now, that is what I am doing.

Outnumbered
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I let my LTC expire

Post by Outnumbered »

I'm sure plenty of folks will do the same. I'm in HEB way too often to not have an LTC.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

For me personally, two things outweigh NOT having the LTC. One, the reciprocity to travel across multiple states legally carrying. Two, being able to NOT wait around in the LGS when buying a firearm. I just fill out the paperwork, pay them money, and I'm on my way with the firearm.

However, I do understand the rationale for NOT renewing.

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

I renewed in 2021 before constitutional carry took affect. So... I have 4 or 5 years to watch and decide. Last years process was so cheap and easy, that I expect I will renew again when my current CHL expires.

As always, "Your Mileage May Vary".
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:13 am For me personally, two things outweigh NOT having the LTC. One, the reciprocity to travel across multiple states legally carrying. Two, being able to NOT wait around in the LGS when buying a firearm. I just fill out the paperwork, pay them money, and I'm on my way with the firearm.

:iagree:
1. Reciprocity
2. Faster firearm purchases
3. Passing 30.05 signs. Which I think more and more will go up.

I get the whole 2a thing as well, but them’s the law whether or not you like it. And until it changes why limit yourself. Something that I’ve had multiple discussions about with students, especially young black men is perception. Getting pulled over with a firearm and pulling out your LTC vs not having one can really make a difference in LEO interactions. Especially for them. You can put whatever spin you want on that one, but I’m just trying to be a realist. I also think in a SD situation having your LTC is always going to be more favorably viewed by a grand jury.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Keep in mind that if you change your mind you'll have up to a year to renew an expired LTC before the DPS purges your data. If you decide to renew within a year, it's just the online renewal & fee.

If you wait more than a year after expiration, it'll be as if you never had an LTC & require an original application, class/range, & new fingerprints.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Totally understand your perspective 03Lightningrocks.

I know that before I got my license that it seemed criminal for someone to require me get a license when my right to carry is enumerated in the Constitution.

I still get a lot of utility out of the LTC, so I keep it, but truly the Constitution is my LTC
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

Thanks for all the great input. To be honest, I forgot about being able to forgo the background check. I haven't purchased a firearm in a couple years. I pretty much had about every firearm I desired. Money has been tight for me.

Anyway, thanks again for the input fellows. That was exactly why I posted that. I will say that my main reason has to do with asking the governments permission to exercise a constitutional right. That has bugged me since day one.
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Besides the fact that I will resume out of state travel, I also attend class at my local community college, and I carry concealed there. So, I need to keep my LTC.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

Tex1961 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:46 am
K.Mooneyham wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:13 am For me personally, two things outweigh NOT having the LTC. One, the reciprocity to travel across multiple states legally carrying. Two, being able to NOT wait around in the LGS when buying a firearm. I just fill out the paperwork, pay them money, and I'm on my way with the firearm.

1. Reciprocity

I get the whole 2a thing as well, but them’s the law whether or not you like it. And until it changes why limit yourself. Something that I’ve had multiple discussions about with students, especially young black men is perception. Getting pulled over with a firearm and pulling out your LTC vs not having one can really make a difference in LEO interactions. Especially for them. You can put whatever spin you want on that one, but I’m just trying to be a realist. I also think in a SD situation having your LTC is always going to be more favorably viewed by a grand jury.
ditto all the above for me as well
i tend to go from texas to fl often and having a ltc allows me to carry easy.
whereas constitutional carry does not give me that option in some states
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Hoodasnacks

Post by Hoodasnacks »

Isn't there also a difference as to what can happen in a school zone, e.g. "zone" vs "premises." For example, with a LTC, I can pull to the curb or walk up to the door to pick up my son from school, whereas without, I would be in violation. Perhaps I remember the law incorrectly.

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

powerboatr wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:42 pm

1. Reciprocity

I do believe I saw on he news that Florida is working on getting constitutional carry! Most of the reasons, maybe all except the background bypass, don't exist for me. Kids are grown so no school property appearances. I really don't travel anywhere outside Texas. I worry we will be forced to build a wall to keep the rest of the country out and don't want to risk being on the wrong side of it. LOL

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:36 pm
powerboatr wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:42 pm

1. Reciprocity

I do believe I saw on he news that Florida is working on getting constitutional carry! Most of the reasons, maybe all except the background bypass, don't exist for me. Kids are grown so no school property appearances. I really don't travel anywhere outside Texas. I worry we will be forced to build a wall to keep the rest of the country out and don't want to risk being on the wrong side of it. LOL
we do need a wall around texas, waaaayyyyy to many nuts from out west moving in.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I 100% agree with you that we shouldn’t have to pay them to exercise our right to carry. I hate it. I keep mine for the reasons many have mentioned. The state reciprocity, no BG checks on new guns, and being able to carry past the new signage. I go out of state several times a year so that alone is worth to me to pay the renewal. I had to go through the wait once to get my license I don’t want to do it again.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

1. Reciprocity
4. Defense to prosecution for carrying through a federal gun-free safety school zone.
5. (For people new to handgun carry) Nobody is going to teach you the law if you don’t take the class, but the law still applies to you whether or not you have an LTC. You should know the law if you’re going to carry.

Fixed it for you.

My LTC expires in October of this year. I supported the passage of Constitutional Carry, and still do today, but I’ll be renewing my license when the time comes. It has its advantages.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”