I let my LTC expire

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I let my LTC expire

Post by OneGun »

I have one additional reason for keeping my LTC. I have family in Chi-Raq Ill-Annoy that I have to travel to see. I need my TX LTC to keep my ILL CCL. This may not be a common problem amongst our group, but this is my situation.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

OneGun wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:16 pm I have one additional reason for keeping my LTC. I have family in Chi-Raq Ill-Annoy that I have to travel to see. I need my TX LTC to keep my ILL CCL. This may not be a common problem amongst our group, but this is my situation.
Chicago, huh? There's a 72-hour flash sale going on for a decent little minimalist plate carrier from 5.11. Just sayin'...
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

For me, keeping my LTC is a no brainer. I haven't travelled as much the past couple of years but I've always enjoyed having the reciprocity with other states I visit. Also being born overseas, before my LTC, background checks always took longer for me. I don't buy or transfer guns all to often but just another bonus not having to worry about the wait. And third, I've been taking a few training classes the past few years and an LTC is usually asked/required. The reasoning being is that it proves you have no criminal background and you are not a "bad guy". I guess I understand the reasoning for this but I've never heard of an issue with a "bad guy" attending a firearms training class.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

With "Constitutional Carry," getting or renewing your LTC is not asking permission to carry a handgun. Doing so is simply exercising an option that renders significant legal benefits.

Chas.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Tex1961 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:25 am With "Constitutional Carry," getting or renewing your LTC is not asking permission to carry a handgun. Doing so is simply exercising an option that renders significant legal benefits.

Chas.
Best post on this so far. Well said sir.....

I'm actually surprised at the number of LTC students in class that don't know or vaguely aware that Texas passed CC. However even the ones that do know still want their license mostly for legitimacy, or in their minds anyway. Once I explain the many benefits of having their license it really solidifies their mind that they are making the right choice....

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

I'm keeping mine but I'm delighted to have the choice.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Sorry if this has been beaten to death already, and please direct me to that thread if it has, but...

It was my understanding that while carrying under constitutional carry, a simple gunbuster sign or "no weapons" on a code of conduct sign would be considered sufficient notice to prohibit carrying on premises so posted. I don't think they outlined specific signage requirements for prohibiting constitution carry. I may certainly be wrong about that, though, as I am planning to keep my LTC for reasons already enumerated in this thread, and have therefore not read up all that much on the specifics of constitutional carry.

Assuming I am correct in my above understanding, that would be a major reason for retaining my LTC. Tons of places around here have gunbuster signs but no 30.06/30.07.

Again, please set me straight if I misunderstood something.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

LucasMcCain wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:35 pm Sorry if this has been beaten to death already, and please direct me to that thread if it has, but...

It was my understanding that while carrying under constitutional carry, a simple gunbuster sign or "no weapons" on a code of conduct sign would be considered sufficient notice to prohibit carrying on premises so posted. I don't think they outlined specific signage requirements for prohibiting constitution carry. I may certainly be wrong about that, though, as I am planning to keep my LTC for reasons already enumerated in this thread, and have therefore not read up all that much on the specifics of constitutional carry.

Assuming I am correct in my above understanding, that would be a major reason for retaining my LTC. Tons of places around here have gunbuster signs but no 30.06/30.07.

Again, please set me straight if I misunderstood something.
Look here. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101192&start=15
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:25 am With "Constitutional Carry," getting or renewing your LTC is not asking permission to carry a handgun. Doing so is simply exercising an option that renders significant legal benefits.

Chas.
This is the perfect reason behind me keeping mine and think others would do well by meditating on just this thought before making rash decisions.

Carl

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

For $40 (or $25 in my case), I just see no reason not to renew.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Tex1961 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:46 am
:iagree:
1. Reciprocity
2. Faster firearm purchases
3. Passing 30.05 signs. Which I think more and more will go up.

I get the whole 2a thing as well, but them’s the law whether or not you like it. And until it changes why limit yourself. Something that I’ve had multiple discussions about with students, especially young black men is perception. Getting pulled over with a firearm and pulling out your LTC vs not having one can really make a difference in LEO interactions. Especially for them. You can put whatever spin you want on that one, but I’m just trying to be a realist. I also think in a SD situation having your LTC is always going to be more favorably viewed by a grand jury.
Reciprocity is a big one with me. Regards to LEO interactions: When getting polled over I found it less awkward to hand over my LTC along with my driver's license. Rather than a solo responce of, "Yes sir I am armed with a handgun" The LTC has been typically been viewed as a positive thing. Making the process go more comfortably. I am a Veteran over 65 and find the online renewal process, inexpensive and easy.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

allisji

Post by allisji »

ScottDLS wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:41 pm For $40 (or $25 in my case), I just see no reason not to renew.
I agree. I renewed mine in 2020. It was much more simple and quick than I had imagined it would be. Basically just paid the $40 and submitted the renewal and it was done in a couple weeks.

I didn't have to do anything other than apply for renewal and pay the fee.

The only problem that I have is that because I was not allowed in 2020 to visit the driver's license office to renew my TX DL they reused my old photo for my LTC. Now my LTC looks like a 22 year old kid and after I renewed my driver's license a year ago my driver's license looks like 37 year old me. Quite literally looks like two different individuals thanks to Gov. Abbott closing down state offices in 2020 and blanket extending people's drivers' licenses passed their expiration date. Oh well
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Tex1961 »

allisji wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:38 am
ScottDLS wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:41 pm For $40 (or $25 in my case), I just see no reason not to renew.
I agree. I renewed mine in 2020. It was much more simple and quick than I had imagined it would be. Basically just paid the $40 and submitted the renewal and it was done in a couple weeks.

I didn't have to do anything other than apply for renewal and pay the fee.

The only problem that I have is that because I was not allowed in 2020 to visit the driver's license office to renew my TX DL they reused my old photo for my LTC. Now my LTC looks like a 22 year old kid and after I renewed my driver's license a year ago my driver's license looks like 37 year old me. Quite literally looks like two different individuals thanks to Gov. Abbott closing down state offices in 2020 and blanket extending people's drivers' licenses passed their expiration date. Oh well
Funny you should mention that. Both my drivers license and LTC were up for renewal this year. Unfortunately I got my LTC renewal with my old picture in before I could get to the drivers license office to get a new picture so now I’m like you I have two different pictures that are eight years apart. And trust me when you hit 60 years old there is a big difference in how you look. The good and bad news on the drivers license as I don’t have to go back to the drivers license office for another 16 years. Of course I’ll be 76 if I make it. This may be my very last time I ever had to go to the DMV.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”