Help Convincing HR to Allow Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 4

Help Convincing HR to Allow Carry

Post by locke_n_load »

Hey guys, long time no post. But I have an old friend of mine who needs some help. The company she works for has a 3rd party HR department, and they don't like carry. However, the CEO does approve of license holders carrying in the building. The landlord company of the building also does not prohibit carry. Her company/HR are updating their handbook, and my friend is trying to put together an argument to get carry "passed" in her building. I need statistics, good points, etc. to help her out. We are in Houston and the area that she works in, Greenspoint (aka Gunspoint if you are from Houston) does have frequent crime. I could put arguments together for her but I am kinda swamped at the moment and my data is probably out of date. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Help Convincing HR to Allow Carry

Post by Vol Texan »

locke_n_load wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:50 am Hey guys, long time no post. But I have an old friend of mine who needs some help. The company she works for has a 3rd party HR department, and they don't like carry. However, the CEO does approve of license holders carrying in the building. The landlord company of the building also does not prohibit carry. Her company/HR are updating their handbook, and my friend is trying to put together an argument to get carry "passed" in her building. I need statistics, good points, etc. to help her out. We are in Houston and the area that she works in, Greenspoint (aka Gunspoint if you are from Houston) does have frequent crime. I could put arguments together for her but I am kinda swamped at the moment and my data is probably out of date. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Assuming that your friend has some leverage in this matter, I think the easiest thing to do is to remove firearms language from the policy handbook altogether. It's easier to convince them to write NOTHING, than it is to convince them to write an affirmative support.

With a supportive CEO, then the absence of banning is a de facto acceptance - for now, until the CEO moves on. Then, after a year or so, when all is going well, then take the next move to get an affirmative acceptance of LTC carry into the handbook to act as a stopgap for when the next CEO comes in and may-or-may not provide cover for those who wish to carry..

Baby steps is easier than a 'one and done' approach.

That's just my 2 cents...
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Topic author
locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Vol Texan wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:04 pm
locke_n_load wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:50 am Hey guys, long time no post. But I have an old friend of mine who needs some help. The company she works for has a 3rd party HR department, and they don't like carry. However, the CEO does approve of license holders carrying in the building. The landlord company of the building also does not prohibit carry. Her company/HR are updating their handbook, and my friend is trying to put together an argument to get carry "passed" in her building. I need statistics, good points, etc. to help her out. We are in Houston and the area that she works in, Greenspoint (aka Gunspoint if you are from Houston) does have frequent crime. I could put arguments together for her but I am kinda swamped at the moment and my data is probably out of date. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Assuming that your friend has some leverage in this matter, I think the easiest thing to do is to remove firearms language from the policy handbook altogether. It's easier to convince them to write NOTHING, than it is to convince them to write an affirmative support.

With a supportive CEO, then the absence of banning is a de facto acceptance - for now, until the CEO moves on. Then, after a year or so, when all is going well, then take the next move to get an affirmative acceptance of LTC carry into the handbook to act as a stopgap for when the next CEO comes in and may-or-may not provide cover for those who wish to carry..

Baby steps is easier than a 'one and done' approach.

That's just my 2 cents...
She does not have leverage unfortunately. She is just trying to put together a case for HR to leave out or remove any language barring carry and let state law take precedence.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

LabRat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LabRat »

locke_n_load wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:50 am Hey guys, long time no post. But I have an old friend of mine who needs some help. The company she works for has a 3rd party HR department, and they don't like carry. However, the CEO does approve of license holders carrying in the building. The landlord company of the building also does not prohibit carry. [snip]
If I'm thinking of this correctly, doesn't an HR department (3rd party or in-house) work for the company? They should do what they're told to do.
Sounds like the CEO is relatively spineless. Or it's his CYA scenario.
Maybe he's not as pro-carry as she seems to think?
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

A CEO should be able to dictate to HR what they want for their company unless there is a board of directors that has authority over the CEO in such matters.

Another issue will be the owner of the building the company is leasing space in. Their house, their rules. That will likely be a bigger hurdle to overcome.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

LabRat wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:23 am
locke_n_load wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:50 am Hey guys, long time no post. But I have an old friend of mine who needs some help. The company she works for has a 3rd party HR department, and they don't like carry. However, the CEO does approve of license holders carrying in the building. The landlord company of the building also does not prohibit carry. [snip]
If I'm thinking of this correctly, doesn't an HR department (3rd party or in-house) work for the company? They should do what they're told to do.
Sounds like the CEO is relatively spineless. Or it's his CYA scenario.
Maybe he's not as pro-carry as she seems to think?
Agreed on all counts.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Topic author
locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

C-dub wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:30 am A CEO should be able to dictate to HR what they want for their company unless there is a board of directors that has authority over the CEO in such matters.

Another issue will be the owner of the building the company is leasing space in. Their house, their rules. That will likely be a bigger hurdle to overcome.
Yep I didn't get into it that deeply with her.
The building does not prohibit carry for sure though.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

locke_n_load wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:08 pm
C-dub wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:30 am A CEO should be able to dictate to HR what they want for their company unless there is a board of directors that has authority over the CEO in such matters.

Yep I didn't get into it that deeply with her.
The building does not prohibit carry for sure though.
That's good. I misread that in your OP.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”