How Many Reloads Should A Private Citizen Carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 7

How Many Reloads Should A Private Citizen Carry?

Post by Paladin »

John Corriea gives his advice based on viewing 40,000 gunfight videos:

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

JRG
Posts in topic: 3

Re: How Many Reloads Should A Private Citizen Carry?

Post by JRG »

Very good video. Sometimes I carry a reload, but most times I do not. Sometimes I carry a 2nd gun, but most times I do not.

Joe

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

JRG wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:47 pm Very good video. Sometimes I carry a reload, but most times I do not. Sometimes I carry a 2nd gun, but most times I do not.

Joe
:cheers2: Years ago I carried 2 reloads... today I'd rather carry a backup gun.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

I have an OWB Versacarry and it has a built in magpouch, so I always have an extra mag.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I saw that video when it first posted. I don’t disagree with his statistics or the likelihood of being in a gunfight in which I need all 16 rounds in my pistol, and have previously posted this idea myself. That’s NOT why I carry 2 spare mags.

I carry 2 spare mags for the same reason that I (a non-smoker) also carry:

(1) a rechargeable butane lighter/torch, a high quality pocket knife, a good strong pocket flashlight, a tourniquet, and a cellphone on my person; and

(2) a pair of binoculars, an IFAK, something to eat, writing materials and spare glasses, a large fixed-blade knife, a multi tool, other sundries, and water bottles in my 24 Hr pack; and

(3) a case of water bottles, a light chest rig with spare mags for rifle and pistol and an admin pouch, a bivvy sack and woobie (sleeping bag during winter), a well-stocked STOMP bag, a spare pair of boots, a camp stove, etc., etc. in the back of my vehicle.

Although I do use my pocket knife pretty much daily, I do NOT expect to really need most of this other stuff from day to day. It’s just called "preparedness". I have these things in my vehicle and on my person because I may have to hoof it home some day, without the convenience of my vehicle. Three is two; two is one; and one is none. I don’t expect my kitchen to burst into flame at any given moment, but I do have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen. Carrying spare magazines is simply part of my preparedness mindset. It’s not a thing I really feel the need to argue about with anyone, and everybody is certainly free to do whatever they want in this regard. I subscribe to John Correia's YouTube channels, and I generally agree with him. I agree that I’m not likely to ever need more than the 15+1 rounds in my pistol. But again, that’s not why I carry spares.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have been in one gun fight in 1986 or 1987 in Upshur County Texas. I have pulled my pistol on two different occasions after LE. I may be the exception, but I have met many folks who were involved in gunfights and I have never heard them say. “I just had too much extra ammo.” I have and always will carry at least one reload as a 1911 guy I usually have two.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:44 pm I saw that video when it first posted. I don’t disagree with his statistics or the likelihood of being in a gunfight in which I need all 16 rounds in my pistol, and have previously posted this idea myself. That’s NOT why I carry 2 spare mags.

I carry 2 spare mags for the same reason that I (a non-smoker) also carry:

(1) a rechargeable butane lighter/torch, a high quality pocket knife, a good strong pocket flashlight, a tourniquet, and a cellphone on my person; and

(2) a pair of binoculars, an IFAK, something to eat, writing materials and spare glasses, a large fixed-blade knife, a multi tool, other sundries, and water bottles in my 24 Hr pack; and

(3) a case of water bottles, a light chest rig with spare mags for rifle and pistol and an admin pouch, a bivvy sack and woobie (sleeping bag during winter), a well-stocked STOMP bag, a spare pair of boots, a camp stove, etc., etc. in the back of my vehicle.

Although I do use my pocket knife pretty much daily, I do NOT expect to really need most of this other stuff from day to day. It’s just called "preparedness". I have these things in my vehicle and on my person because I may have to hoof it home some day, without the convenience of my vehicle. Three is two; two is one; and one is none. I don’t expect my kitchen to burst into flame at any given moment, but I do have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen. Carrying spare magazines is simply part of my preparedness mindset. It’s not a thing I really feel the need to argue about with anyone, and everybody is certainly free to do whatever they want in this regard. I subscribe to John Correia's YouTube channels, and I generally agree with him. I agree that I’m not likely to ever need more than the 15+1 rounds in my pistol. But again, that’s not why I carry spares.
:iagree:

Just because I don't need it now, haven't needed it in the past, doesn't mean I won't need it tomorrow.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

carlson1 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:07 pm I have been in one gun fight in 1986 or 1987 in Upshur County Texas. I have pulled my pistol on two different occasions after LE. I may be the exception, but I have met many folks who were involved in gunfights and I have never heard them say. “I just had too much extra ammo.” I have and always will carry at least one reload as a 1911 guy I usually have two.
In the military context that is an absolute truth. Running out of ammo before the enemy is a good way to get yourself killed.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

cmgee67 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:58 am
I just watched that last night.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I guess technically the correct answer is however much they choose to carry since it is still a free choice. I carry one complete reload to whatever I carry, spare mag or speed loader and if I carry my J frame I have the speed loader plus one speed strip as well. I probably should carry two complete reloads but it isn't convenient so I don't. Actually, I probably should carry 4 or maybe 5 but odds are I won't wind up in the next East LA bank robbery.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

When I carry a 1911, I have 2 additional mags. When I have my XD I only carry 1 additional mag. In most cases, I also carry a P938 as a BUG
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

I carry one reload no matter what I'm carrying. Sometimes I will carry two mags, but it's rare. My reason for doing so is not that I'm worried about running out of bullets. It's because most pistol malfunctions are due to either bad ammo, a non-functioning magazine, or a combination of the both. So, if I ever had to use my pistol and it jammed, I want the option to replace the magazine with a fresh one. I may not need to, but I want the option. In the incredibly rare chance that I needed more ammo, I also have it available. Most days, I carry a Glock 48 in a T-Rex arms appendix holster, so it has the magazine pouch built into the wing of the holster. No sweat at all carrying an extra mag.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Mas makes some good arguments for carrying a spare magazine, but those same arguments are even better arguments for carrying a backup gun.

JRG

Post by JRG »

Massad always brings up excellent points! Thanks for sharing this.

Joe

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”