23% of American's carry a concealed gun for self-defense

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

23% of American's carry a concealed gun for self-defense

Post by Paladin »

Was reading through the July 2022 America's 1st Freedom and it says that Gallop polling is now showing 23% of American's carry a concealed gun for self defense... which is way up from 12% in 2007.

If they mean adults, and there are 258 million adults in the US in 2020, that gives us a number of over 59 million American's carrying.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

extremist

Re: 23% of American's carry a concealed gun for self-defense

Post by extremist »

Well I'm sure that number is low because they didn't poll me :hurry:
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

That sounds high to me. I wonder if they are counting people who carry a gun in their car but not on their body?

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:05 pm That sounds high to me. I wonder if they are counting people who carry a gun in their car but not on their body?
It sounds high to me also. But my thought was that a lot of people who do not carry at all answered yes. If so, or if it is the real number, it indicates that the polls on gun control are probably not accurate.
Steve Rothstein

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

srothstein wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:57 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:05 pm That sounds high to me. I wonder if they are counting people who carry a gun in their car but not on their body?
It sounds high to me also. But my thought was that a lot of people who do not carry at all answered yes. If so, or if it is the real number, it indicates that the polls on gun control are probably not accurate.
Seems high to me as well. Heck, I know people who went to all the effort to get their LTC and still don't carry on a regular basis. Some with LTC's rarely carry if ever.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:02 pm
Seems high to me as well. Heck, I know people who went to all the effort to get their LTC and still don't carry on a regular basis. Some with LTC's rarely carry if ever.
My wife may likely be one of these people soon. She wants to get her LTC mainly to ensure she knows the laws regarding the use of a gun in self defense, since we have guns at home and I sometimes travel or just work late at the office. She has no intention to ever actually carry, although that could always change.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:58 pm
My wife may likely be one of these people soon. She wants to get her LTC mainly to ensure she knows the laws regarding the use of a gun in self defense, since we have guns at home and I sometimes travel or just work late at the office. She has no intention to ever actually carry, although that could always change.
Please do get her into a class. If you need a refresher some instructors will let you sit in for free.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Tex1961 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:17 pm
Please do get her into a class. If you need a refresher some instructors will let you sit in for free.
My class is always free. Paperwork costs $$, but the class is free. That way a student can bring a spouse, which may help eliminate the “you’re not bringing that thing with you again, are you?” discussions.

And any former student or current LTC holder can get a refresher for no charge as well.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Vol Texan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:34 pm
Tex1961 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:17 pm
My class is always free. Paperwork costs $$, but the class is free. That way a student can bring a spouse, which may help eliminate the “you’re not bringing that thing with you again, are you?” discussions.

And any former student or current LTC holder can get a refresher for no charge as well.
:tiphat:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”