How Often Do I Need To Recertify & Take Class

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
stan5686
Posts in topic: 1

How Often Do I Need To Recertify & Take Class

Post by stan5686 »

The last time I renewed my CHL or possibly the time before I learned that after a certain number of renewals or after being a CHL holder for a given period of time, class room and range qualifying was not required for every renewal. I have looked through all my papers of my CHL and online and I am unable to find this information. I renewed last year and my current license is good until 2026. I know that I didn't have to take a class then but I can't remember about the pervious renewal. I am pretty sure that is when I learned about the change. Thank You

oohrah

Re: How Often Do I Need To Recertify & Take Class

Post by oohrah »

I just renewed online for the second time. There is no requirement for refresher training or range qualification.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Stan

No requirement for renewal other than filling out the renewal paperwork and paying. DPS will run another background check and send you your new plastic. That said, it is always a good idea to talk with an instructor and get up to date on what has changed since you took your class. Sometimes changes are small and sometimes they are rather extensive.
:patriot:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

@AF-Oldin has given you some great advice. Just as he said some of the changes are slight but a few are extensive. Ask a local range if you can sit on one of their classes. Tell them you already have your LTC and they will most likely let you sit in for free.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”