Guns in cars-Parking Lot Rules

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 3

Guns in cars-Parking Lot Rules

Post by LSUTiger »

I need a refresher on the Guns in cars-Parking Lot Rules.

Private vs Public Property

30.06, 30.07, Constitutional Carry

I currently work at a private company that has 30.06/7 signs on the entry to the buildings and fenced in secure areas. They also have company policy that you can't have firearms anywhere on company property including parking lots which have no signage.

I understand that they can do as they wish as to your employment status if you run afoul of policy about parking lots. Texas is an "at will" state and they can terminate you for any reason.

But can they legally prevent you from storing a firearm in your vehicle in the parking lot at a private company. Does it only apply to 30.06/7? Constitutional Carry?
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Topic author
LSUTiger

Re: Guns in cars-Parking Lot Rules

Post by LSUTiger »

Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tex1961 »

Short version is that by law, employers cannot prevent you from having a gun in your car. Remember however Texas is an at will state. They could fire you, however you do have recourse through the courts and legal system to Sue. So if you do then just keep it concealed and mouth shut.

Topic author
LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

The part of that article that applies to me now that didn't before and I never was concerned with until recently is:

"Finally, SB 321 does not apply to chemical manufacturers or oil and gas refiners4 where the primary business is the manufacture, use, storage, or transportation of hazardous, combustible, or explosive materials. Even this exception contains an exception. An employee who holds a CHL may store a firearm or ammunition in a privately owned vehicle at a chemical plant or oil and gas refinery as long as the car is in a parking lot outside of the restricted area of the plant, and as long as the plant is not open to the public and entry to the plant is monitored by security personnel."

I do practice "Concealed is concealed" or something like that but nice to know legally I am OK.

They do have a security policy that details potential random searches but I will just have to deal with that possibility.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”