I have to share this story about concealed carry..

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

I have to share this story about concealed carry..

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

As I mentioned in another thread, I retired from the HVAC business. My SIL runs and works at it now but I still own it. I had been sitting around getting very fat and lazy for a couple years when my daughter finally convinced me to do something/anything except sitting around waiting to die. She suggest food delivery since I could do it when I wanted and skip it when feeling lazy. That is the back story. It is kind of fun and does give me a few extra dollars to play with.

Anyway, so I took a delivery and when I arrived it was in a Hospital. The lady wanted me to bring it to her room. I told her on the phone I could not come in to the hospital. She asked why. Not thinking plus not good at telling lies, I blurted out that I was armed and would not disarm to enter the hospital. She says OK and would send out someone to get it. Fifteen long minutes later, not just one but THREE nurses come out to get her food. I laughed and asked why it took three nurses to get a bag of food. I kid you not they replied with, the lady said you were armed. I handed them the bag and said, Have a nice evening and left. I suppose I was lucky they didn't call a swat team! Why on earth would they be scared of someone who just said they did not want to break the law by coming in armed? Common sense should dictate that one should be scared of the person who hides being armed and enters illegally. If I was a danger and they were truly afraid, they think three nurses is safer than one against a gangster with a gun... LOL. People just drive me crazy!

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I have to share this story about concealed carry..

Post by Tex1961 »

I hear what you're saying, but I get their reaction. Imagine you were delivering and a big German Shepard or Pit Bull was at the door barking... Would you not stand back and be ready to defend yourself or leave... Now imagine the owners of said dog who have raised it from a puppy and knows that it barks at everyone all the time, but has never hurt anyone ever.

For non gun owners or those who aren't around them like we are, a gun is a scary thing.. A armed man is what they see and read about on the news.. A LTC holder never even comes into their minds...

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

But.... Were the nurses cute..? :lol:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

RoyGBiv wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:52 pm But.... Were the nurses cute..? :lol:
Hahahahaha... at my age they all look pretty good.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Nurses really don’t like guns. At least my friend who is a nurse hates them with a passion.

They blame the gun not the person.

The concept of good people with guns make the world safer has not been widely accepted. I blame the media. The media rarely reports on the 300 million guns that have never shot anyone.

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

philip964 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:42 pm Nurses really don’t like guns. At least my friend who is a nurse hates them with a passion.

The concept of good people with guns make the world safer has not been widely accepted. I blame the media. The media rarely reports on the 300 million guns that have never shot anyone.
:iagree:

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

philip964 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:42 pm Nurses really don’t like guns. At least my friend who is a nurse hates them with a passion.

I am not sure about this considering how many cops and nurses get married and divorced each year. It happens enough to be a trope in police stories.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

I realize now, after the fact, that maybe I should not have said why I would not enter the hospital. I am sorry but I see such signs as an insult and a complete violation of my right to self defense. I have disarmed when going into a hospital to visit a sick friend or family member but to deliver a bag of food is just too much. I recognize their right to tell me to stay off their private property as well. So I do unless I am forced to enter.

As I sat outside waiting it really did not occur to me that maybe the long wait had to do with the lady telling the nurses I was armed and would not disarm to enter. Maybe I should have tried to come up with some lie but as I said, I am a terrible liar and would have come up with something stupid. My bet is that after being told I was armed, the nurses probably freaked out and she had trouble finding any to come get her darned food. This happened a few weeks back and I am new to this whole thing. I check the map now to see where the food is going but every hospital I have delivered to, has a notation saying they would meet me outside in front of such and such entrance. Not once has anyone ever asked me to wonder inside at a hospital drop off. Out of at least a couple dozen deliveries to hospitals. Sometimes I miss the Covid scam...LOL. They would not even think of me coming in during the Covid scams. Oh well...live and learn I suppose.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Oops, I was so focused on where I was going and who I had to find I missed your signage, the one about no guns and the other one about no admittance if wearing blue underwear. But I bet you didn't know I violated both. Accidentally, of course. Sorry.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:56 pm
Maybe I should have tried to come up with some lie but as I said, I am a terrible liar and would have come up with something stupid.
Maybe come up with something in advance, for next time....

"I'm sorry, but, I had a horrible experience with a hospital that I just can't get over... but... I'd be happy to meet you just outside the front door."

Or something...
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

RoyGBiv wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:53 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:56 pm
Maybe I should have tried to come up with some lie but as I said, I am a terrible liar and would have come up with something stupid.
Maybe come up with something in advance, for next time....

"I'm sorry, but, I had a horrible experience with a hospital that I just can't get over... but... I'd be happy to meet you just outside the front door."

Or something...
Just after I drove off I thought maybe I could have said I was afraid of getting a disease. The weird part was that I actually started to feel guilty for not leaving my handgun in the truck and taking the food to her. She was likely very ill or with someone who was. Fortunately, all the deliveries I have gotten so far, except that one, the customers always met me outside one of the entrances. A lot of Doctors and nurses who work at these places will order food delivered because they can't leave.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I'd probably consider it that I'm working same as LE and since they can ignore the signs when they're working I can also, since nobody is ever going to know anyway.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”