Tannahill's Tavern & Music Hall FTW Stockyards Carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Tannahill's Tavern & Music Hall FTW Stockyards Carry?

Post by RoyGBiv »

Anyone been to a concert here recently?

TABC Gun Sign is BLUE

Texas3006 mentions metal detectors and improperly posted signs.

Looking for some recent info. Got tickets to a show tonight.

TIA. :tiphat:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Re: Tannahill's Tavern & Music Hall FTW Stockyards Carry?

Post by RoyGBiv »

No 30.0x signs that I could find going in, only a few gunbusters. Everyone got wanded going in. The snaps on my shirt set off the wand and the security guy asked about it. I said "metal snaps" and that was it. (note to self)

They did have a set of mechanical keypad lockers at the security location. Maybe 25 or 30 lockers, big enough for a large purse or small pack/sling bag. On the way out, I asked about leaving my gun there next time and the woman made a "Oh No" face and mumbled something I didn't really hear clearly.

Next time, I'll phone ahead and discuss with management.

Blues Traveler was excellent. John Popper is still phenomenal on the harmonica and vocals, but you could tell the vocals were taking a toll on him last night. Still hit every note, but, didn't look as easy as he made it look in the several times I've seen them previously.

If you've not been to the Stockyards recently, they did a great job expanding and upgrading. Tannehill's is on the corner of Mule Alley and Exchange. You would never know it's a concert/event venue just walking past it. The place holds about 1,000 people for events. Great sound, easy in/out. Typically terrible prices for tickets and drinks.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

Perhaps I'm just having a slow day but I'm confused about whether or not you did take your "heavy metal" in with you and managed to get it past the wanding process. That process is a deal breaker for me unless I have the law on my side as in a government entity property. I have no plan to have a "he said-she said" conversation about whether a hired security guard has the management authority to keep my firearm out of a location.

In past years, I might have decided not to have my gun with me. Not now, not with the conditions we are being forced to live in. There is no musical group worth being unarmed but that is probably just me.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

chasfm11 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:30 am Perhaps I'm just having a slow day but I'm confused about whether or not you did take your "heavy metal" in with you and managed to get it past the wanding process. That process is a deal breaker for me unless I have the law on my side as in a government entity property. I have no plan to have a "he said-she said" conversation about whether a hired security guard has the management authority to keep my firearm out of a location.

In past years, I might have decided not to have my gun with me. Not now, not with the conditions we are being forced to live in. There is no musical group worth being unarmed but that is probably just me.
Not knowing what awaited me, I left the gun locked in the car strong box and went in unarmed.
Lots of reasons why not to find out the hard way and get trespassed.

FWIW, there were 2 uniformed FW PD at the door and in the venue and a surprising number of security people that were actually effective dealing with a few rowdy morons. I was surprised by the decent security. Yes, I'd still prefer to have been armed.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

Here are a couple more questions:

1. Without proper signage or a direct verbal notification, is it possible to "get tresspassed?" i thought that the worst that could happen without proper notice was to get asked to leave and if you don't comply, then it is a trespass situation.
2. The venues can definitely have security issues. A little alcohol and some energizing music is all that it takes for some people to want to bark at the moon. However, my concern has always been getting from my car to the venue. Some of the malls seem to have recognized this exposure and are pretty well saturated by marked security cars. Other places, not so much. Given some of the roving mobs of youth, I'm much more concerned about the outside than then inside. I recognize that one guy with a pistol may not be very effective against that kind for threat but I want at least the chance to try. How was the stockyard environment in this regard?
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Topic author
RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

chasfm11 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:24 pm Here are a couple more questions:

1. Without proper signage or a direct verbal notification, is it possible to "get tresspassed?" i thought that the worst that could happen without proper notice was to get asked to leave and if you don't comply, then it is a trespass situation.
2. The venues can definitely have security issues. A little alcohol and some energizing music is all that it takes for some people to want to bark at the moon. However, my concern has always been getting from my car to the venue. Some of the malls seem to have recognized this exposure and are pretty well saturated by marked security cars. Other places, not so much. Given some of the roving mobs of youth, I'm much more concerned about the outside than then inside. I recognize that one guy with a pistol may not be very effective against that kind for threat but I want at least the chance to try. How was the stockyard environment in this regard?
My concern regarding trespass is standing in the lobby arguing with both security and FWPD that the place is owned by the City and the operators only have a lease, so, they cannot prohibit carry.... then having someone get wound up enough to threaten me with trespass if I didn't leave the premises, which they certainly can do, without cause.

Wife would not be at all pleased by my taking up the cause and forfeiting her gifted tickets and our otherwise enjoyable night out.

I was at an event at Will Rogers last month and had a chance to casually talk with some FWPD officers there who clearly did not appreciate the nuances of city-owned property, limits on lease operators ability to restrict carry (which has no case law that I can find, only AG opinions), etc. Those officers were supportive, FWIW, but, it was clear to me at the time that I would be, basically, making a roadside argument, rather than having clear support of law.

Regarding crowds and safety.... I wasn't too worried ... Even on a relatively uncrowded Tuesday night there were no groups on the main streets that were at all concerning. In 20 years of occasionally visiting the Stockyards, I've never seen groups of roving troublemakers...

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”