Private Security and CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rtschl
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Private Security and CHL

Post by rtschl »

Tex1961 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:57 am
rtschl wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:43 am They can do LTC course, but they cannot act as security - and in this case it seems as a Personal Protection Officer (PPO) without being licensed by the state under Chapter 1702. It's one thing if they are allowed to carry for work, but if the intention is for them to be security they must be licensed by the State and go through an approved school instruction class for Level III (uniformed) and then Level IV (PPO). Level III is required to become Level IV.

Edited to clarify.
Thank you... I did a little research but anything to do with state law is clear as mud... :???: I will inform the client of this as well.... I sort of assumed this to be the case, but wanted better clarification as I did not want to give them wrong information.. Personally I'm a bit concerned about taking 2 people who know nothing about firearms up to private security trained in a short time... But since my training right now only covers basic pistol and then shortly basic LTC, that's all I can do.. Give them the classes that I am certified to teach....

I don't know who the actual client is, but they want to stay anonymous. I have no idea if this person is a high profile business person or a local celebrity or whatever... Guess it's really none of my business at this point.....
And since they don't know a lot about firearms, they SHOULD take your basic handgun course first!
Ron
NRA Member

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Tex1961 »

rtschl wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:18 am
rtschl wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:43 am They can do LTC course, but they cannot act as security - and in this case it seems as a Personal Protection Officer (PPO) without being licensed by the state under Chapter 1702. It's one thing if they are allowed to carry for work, but if the intention is for them to be security they must be licensed by the State and go through an approved school instruction class for Level III (uniformed) and then Level IV (PPO). Level III is required to become Level IV.

Edited to clarify.
Thank you... I did a little research but anything to do with state law is clear as mud... :???: I will inform the client of this as well.... I sort of assumed this to be the case, but wanted better clarification as I did not want to give them wrong information.. Personally I'm a bit concerned about taking 2 people who know nothing about firearms up to private security trained in a short time... But since my training right now only covers basic pistol and then shortly basic LTC, that's all I can do.. Give them the classes that I am certified to teach....

I don't know who the actual client is, but they want to stay anonymous. I have no idea if this person is a high profile business person or a local celebrity or whatever... Guess it's really none of my business at this point.....
And since they don't know a lot about firearms, they SHOULD take your basic handgun course first!
AGREED... I let them know that whoever they use to at least get the basics down...

I am an independent and I've structured my Basic Pistol class "In Home", I have a maximum allowed of 4 students per class.. By doing it this way, It gives me more time to work with each student and allows me to give them the "extra" they might need... We finish the class first and then I set up the G-Sight laser trainer and let everyone take several rounds with it... This way I can correct any shortcomings before we hit the range... Also allows me to 'thump them" :smash: when they put their finger on the trigger when their not supposed to, or sweep everyone else...

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike S »

Edited to clarify.

This may have been a legitimate contact asking for training, but I'm highly suspect that it coulda been a scam. Did the anonymous person ask for an invoice so they could pre-pay for your services?

There's a variety of scams that target small businesses, where they ask for a quote & pre-pay using stolen credit cards; overpay 'by accident' & ask for a refund; or pre-pay then cancel & ask for a refund. It ends up biting the unwitting small business owner when they sent a refund, then have the original funds pulled when the credit card company catches up & reverse the charges.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Edited to clarify.
AND...after getting licensed they must be affiliated with a licensed security entity. You can't just get a Level 4 PPO license and start providing protective services unless you work for a Texas licensed security company/entity.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Tex1961 »

Mike S wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:49 am

Edited to clarify.

This may have been a legitimate contact asking for training, but I'm highly suspect that it coulda been a scam. Did the anonymous person ask for an invoice so they could pre-pay for your services?

There's a variety of scams that target small businesses, where they ask for a quote & pre-pay using stolen credit cards; overpay 'by accident' & ask for a refund; or pre-pay then cancel & ask for a refund. It ends up biting the unwitting small business owner when they sent a refund, then have the original funds pulled when the credit card company catches up & reverse the charges.
Good Point... And if I have to be honest there have been a few red flags so far... But I'm proceeding with caution on this one anyway... I invoice through PayPal and get $$ upfront... Granted they can always lay a claim on PayPal but we will see if things proceed...

rtschl
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rtschl »

Grayling813 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:53 am

Edited to clarify.
AND...after getting licensed they must be affiliated with a licensed security entity. You can't just get a Level 4 PPO license and start providing protective services unless you work for a Texas licensed security company/entity.
Yes, sorry I didn't add that. So two licenses, two training classes, and must be employed by a Licensed Security Company.
Ron
NRA Member

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

Strictly hypothetical question here:
If a Level III security officer works in a public place (Not allowed to post 06 or 07 signs) that doesn't allow him to carry, (Arbitrary board rules) my understanding is that he can't conceal carry under his LTC, as he is presently under his LIII security license, which requires his weapons to be visible.
So If he were to have a weapon in a bag or briefcase that he sets under his desk, Is that a violation? Is he carrying concealed?
Asking for a friend.
———————————————————————————————————————————————
FWIW, this is a city owned facility and as such can't post 06 or 07. SO, the only people the "progressive" board members can disarm are the employees, including the Security Officer they were forced to hire after an incident with a minor being assaulted in their bathroom.

Loved the job, and am convinced I've done a lot of good. Many patrons have come up to me expressing gratitude at the changes. I had to take a lot of grief and get in some nasty people's faces, but the place is no longer a de facto homeless shelter, and many people have told me that mothers are now willing to bring their children back to a place of learning to read.
The "Progressive" board liked that part of the positive publicity, but still doesn't appreciate my running off the "homeless" community.
It was strongly suggested, when I interviewed, the job would go full time in 3 months. I've since learned that a "person of color" had been hired (6 weeks after me) as a full time employee. (months in, I'm still a Lilly white part time employee with no expectation of a move to full time employment or benefits.)
I've got anther part time job with a security company that contracts to Emergency clinics. I've made it know that if a full time position opens up, I'm interested.
As an indie author, I thought my position at the library was a dream job. I just didn't expect the liberal idiocy from the board. The public isn't even aware of it. (You think the local newspaper will out libs?)
Anyway, back to the original topic. Until an offer from people who appreciate me comes along, I'm stuck at the library, unarmed in an environment where everybody else is allowed to carry.
Would a pistol in my brief case be a violation of my LIII license?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”