Need Help: The Parents Found Out...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

nedmoore
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Need Help: The Parents Found Out...

Post by nedmoore »

Have you told them that you are going to become a cop? For your sake, I hope you do before they come for a another visit and find your: uniforms, handcuffs, baton, etc. Lol!

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kalrog »

nedmoore wrote:Have you told them that you are going to become a cop? For your sake, I hope you do before they come for a another visit and find your: uniforms, handcuffs, baton, etc. Lol!
Yeah. If they find all that stuff, you BETTER be a cop.

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

Have patience and be firm is my advice. My mom was an anit gun type all while I was growing up. I got my CHL about 3 years ago when my kids became toddlers and I realized I had lost a good chunk of my awareness having to pay attention to kids walking through parking lots. Anyway, I slowly broke it to mom that I enjoyed shooting guns then worked it in, when I felt she was as ready as she would be, that I carry one. I also had a lot of discussion about good vs. evil and recognition of BG behaviors during a year or so. This week she actually sent me a news clipping from FL where someone had successfully defended himself with a handgun. She seems to at least be appreciating that self-defense is a better choice than willing victim. I also had her read The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker who is an anti gun guy but summarizes the BG mentality well enough to draw a natural conclusion to More Guns, Less Crime by John R. Lott, Jr. Sounds like you're on the same positive path.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

I'm unclear why advice is still being offered since he's already discussed it with them and apparently did quite well for himself.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

fratermus
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fratermus »

Mike1951 wrote:I'm unclear why advice is still being offered since he's already discussed it with them and apparently did quite well for himself.
Because people don't read forum threads backwards?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

Yes. It is common for folks to read the intro post to a long thread and not pay attention that someone has posted an update.

One thing that helps is if the orginal poster goes back and edits the thread subject with the word 'Updated' in it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jungle Work

Post by Jungle Work »

Doan,
Love, Honor and Respect your parent. Live your own life and don't let their old world beliefs get you killed....
Don't flaunt it in their face, but remain vigilant. I knew many people in Vietnam who believed that the Communist would not
treat them bad, but found out differently. Your parents may believe criminals will not harm them or you, but they
will. You are an American and you have the right to life, liberty and the ability to protect yourself and your family.
If your parents do not want to be around you because you carry a firearm, it is truly their loss. Stay strong in your
beliefs of self preservation and defense.

Jungle Work

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

My step-mom is Asian, so it doesn't surprise me that your parents went through your things.

I'm glad this has been resolved, but I'd like to make a recommendation: Consider getting a gun safe or something similar. Not only would a small safe keep your guns clear of a snooper's notice, but it could also guard paperwork that you prefer to keep private.
JMHO.

Personally, I don't like to hide the fact that I'm a gun owner. I have done things in my life for which I am ashamed, but owning guns isn't one of them. I don't apologize for exercising a right that keeps me free.
When people with children come to my home, I pull them aside and let them know that my house has guns. I do not take them out and put them on display, but I let them know that I'm not one of these "gun-free" locations. I do this for safety reasons, as children are natural treasure hunters.
(I also don't invite people into my home that I suspect would misuse this information.)
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

I remember growing up my mom and dad saying "my house my rules, when you have your house it can be your rules". I am 49 years old, I have reminded them of that on more than one occassion. If you dont want to see guns in my house then dont come to my house. Simple. Mom has continued to come (dad died about 9 years ago) and she says nothing about the gun she knows is on my hip or my ankle.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”