Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ghostrider
Posts in topic: 1

in the news tonight

Post by ghostrider »

Police say they stopped possible Wal-Mart shooting spree:
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/n ... hreat.html

This would have been the Wal-mart I would have done my 'Wally-walk' in, if I actually shopped at Wal-mart. (I did my wally-walk at home-depot,.. and the bank, and academy and...)
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Mike from Texas

Re: in the news tonight

Post by Mike from Texas »

Sooooo what constitutes and "unreasonable amount" of ammo?

Would my 2 spare mags for my 1911 that I carry be considered unreasonable? :???:
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mike1951 »

I was thinking the same thing. Or maybe he purchased a box there?
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

dukesean

Post by dukesean »

Wait a second...
Eberle has been charged with making a terroristic threat and carrying a weapon in a place licensed to sell alcohol. Both are third-degree felonies
Is that true or poor journalism? If they sell beer at the Walmart supercenter and I go in concealed, I can get arrested? Doesn't seem correct, UNLESS it is unlicensed carry in a place licensed to sell alcohol, am I right?
-------------------------------------
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

frankie_the_yankee
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

Mike from Texas wrote:Sooooo what constitutes and "unreasonable amount" of ammo?

Would my 2 spare mags for my 1911 that I carry be considered unreasonable? :???:
Probably not.

But let's not lose sight of the big picture here.

The guy was illegally carrying. If he had a CHL, they would not have been able to charge him with carrying in a place licensed to sell alcohol.

Secondly, if the news report is at all accurate, the messages he left would, IMO, cause a reaosnable person to believe that he may have had mayhem on his mind. In simple language, those message were something a crazy person would write.

I'll bet he couldn't qualify for a CHL.

The Chief might have been a little dramatic in his comments, but overall I think everyone involved, meaning the guy's wife, sister, the cops, etc., did well. Especially considering that they managed to take the guy down without anyone getting injured or killed.

That's my 2 cents. I'm glad it ended well.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

dukesean wrote:Wait a second...
Eberle has been charged with making a terroristic threat and carrying a weapon in a place licensed to sell alcohol. Both are third-degree felonies
Is that true or poor journalism? If they sell beer at the Walmart supercenter and I go in concealed, I can get arrested? Doesn't seem correct, UNLESS it is unlicensed carry in a place licensed to sell alcohol, am I right?
I'm sure they meant unlicensed carry. Every place that sells alcohol has an "unlicensed carry is a felony" sign posted out front.

If you have a CHL you're OK.

The journalism looks OK on this one.

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

I underatand that yep this guy was probably intent on making a name for himself but IMHO I don't see where he threatened anybody,I think terroristic threat will get blown out of court but the unlicensed carry is proveable,IANAL so any lawyers please jump in and enlighten us on what you perceive
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

pt145ss
Posts in topic: 2

Post by pt145ss »

The scary part of this story is that my wife and I went to Wal-Mart after work Thursday. We debated on either going to the Wal-Mart in this article or going to the one in Buda. We ultimately decided on the one in Buda. If fate had been different, we would have been at that Wal-Mart at the time this all occurred.

I was armed but only with a small pocket .380…7 shots. Not sure that would do much in an Active Shooter scenario. Now I’m thinking about my carry options again on work days. I can not carry at work so I usually only bring the .380 and lock it up in the car while working. I think I should invest in a carry rig that will allow me to carry the .45 while wearing a tucked in shirt. A belly bag or something…any suggestions?

shaggydog

Post by shaggydog »

pt145ss wrote:A belly bag or something…any suggestions?
Used to own a PT145 and it carried very nicely in a SmartCarry.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

pt145ss wrote:... I think I should invest in a carry rig that will allow me to carry the .45 while wearing a tucked in shirt. A belly bag or something…any suggestions?
My favorite is the CrossBreed Holster Supertuck. But I don't know how big of a .45 you're carrying. I have a S&W Sigma and it works fine. Course I'm not carrying full-time yet, around the house and in the truck, waiting on the plastic, but it's very comfortable to me.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

There's a good article about concealment methods and clothing choices in this month's Handguns magazine.

I am not a fan of the so-called "tuckable" style holsters. I just flat don't trust their ability to provide good concealment, especially in a situation where someone might be expected to carefully check you out.

I have found IWB types to be very good in this regard. Whether combined with a (preferrably leather) vest, a loose t-shirt or polo shirt, a square cut button shirt, or sport jacket, you can conceal almost anything.

With this type of setup, as long as I don't have to go through a metal detector I am A-OK.

So, given the number of nut cases that seem to be out there, I am carrying my 5 shot snubbie less and less, and one of my 45's more and more. Concealing the Commander is no problem, and the Para Carry just flat disappears.

As far as the OP is concerned, I think the terroristic threat charges will stick, as will the weapons charges. The guy is obviously a sick puppy, and he doesn't belong out on the street.

Liko81

Post by Liko81 »

dukesean wrote:Wait a second...
It's only unlicensed carry. The sign looks just like the sign for bars only it doesn't have the red 51%. If you are a CHL, you can carry concealed into any alcohol establishment that does not make more than 51% of its revenue in alcohol sales for on-premises consumption. That's grocery stores (of which Wal-Mart is one), restaurants, etc. I believe, given this wording, that you can even carry into the attached bar area of a restaurant as long as the liquor license for the bar is not issued seperately (most aren't; what restaurant owner wants the expense AND the reduced flexibility of not being able to take hard drinks out of the bar area?).

dhm

Post by dhm »

Just so the record is clear, this is not what we mean by the Wally Walk!
Note that he asks someone to return his library books--methinks he might have a screw or two loose.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Mike from Texas wrote:Sooooo what constitutes and "unreasonable amount" of ammo?

Ditto.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”