Summertime

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 3

Summertime

Post by baseballguy2001 »

As someone who hasn't yet got the plastic yet, is there such a thing as summer carry and winter carry? I was considering my Glock 23 for winter and the Walther PPK/S for summer. I'm currently looking for holsters, any advice? Thanks in advance.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Summertime

Post by Mike1951 »

I no longer wear any belt rig during summer. I used to, but field stripping a 1911 after every day of drenching it with perspiration gets old pretty fast. I also won't wear a belt rig if it's too hot to make also wearing an undershirt or T-shirt comfortable. My most common carry during summer in a 642 in a pocket holster.

Occasionally, I will wear a fanny pack containing a 1911
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

fm2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by fm2 »

.....is there such a thing as summer carry and winter carry?
There's a lot of text on this out there. It seems to me if there is a big temp. change and is maintained for a while, then it makes more sense. If the temp. is more unpredictable and/or small, then it seems less applicable to sacrifice the consistancey.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

HerbM

Post by HerbM »

baseballguy2001 wrote:As someone who hasn't yet got the plastic yet, is there such a thing as summer carry and winter carry? I was considering my Glock 23 for winter and the Walther PPK/S for summer. I'm currently looking for holsters, any advice? Thanks in advance.
Of course it depends on where you live in this huge state and what you normally wear. For those of use who wear sport clothes most of the time and carry on the waistband, the main difference is that a light jacket (or heavier one if its colder) makes it unnecessary to cover with a shirt or special garment. I live in Austin, so we almost never have a day where I need an overcoat or something that is really going to prevent access.

IWB works for pretty much everything as long as you are willing to wear a (decent) belt and adjust you pants waist perhaps.

OWB works better if you are going to wear a coat than if you are trying to cover it with a shirt etc.

Others will have to talk about shoulder and ankle holsters as I am not fond of them -- for me.

If you lived up north and needed to wear both a suit coat and an overcoat, getting to anything on your waist is probably a challenge. Ankle and pocket, should holster starts looking a lot more attractive.

One complication (ok there's always at least one, and there are probably more): Winter doesn't much matter when you get where you are going since pretty much everywhere is 'room temperature' and you will usually want to shed the coats. So you end up having to dress for both, winter outside, summer/normal inside. It does though make you look less unusual if you keep a vest, sweater, or jacket on inside.

Funny thing is it can be 75 degree inside and a jacket in the winter looks normal, while the same jacket and 75 degrees MIGHT look odd in summer. Expectations control a lot of our reactions to what we see.
HerbM

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

My carry does not change w/ the seasons only my clothes.
Folks who do not carry wear different clothes in Feb than in July.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

M9FAN

Post by M9FAN »

Russell wrote:Well, as far as from somebody who carries the same weapon regardless of season, I usually just change from pants to shorts :cool: My carry dress is normally an undershirt with a polo shirt over that
:iagree:
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I carry my Kahr PM9 99% of the time. During cooler weather it is OWB at 4 o'clock with a cover shirt. During warmer weather, it is pocket carried in long pants or in the extra pocket of cargo shorts if extreme causal is the dress.

I have been known to carry my S&W Allied Forces model Sigma or Kahr IWB in a Don Hume or in a Kangaroo holster under a button down shirt. Also, the full size 1911 OWB with a cover shirt. I prefer the Kahr though as is is much smaller and lighter whether OWB, IWB or under the shirt in the Kangaroo.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
baseballguy2001

Thanks for all the great replies. Looks like I'll just experiment with both!
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Dave905

Post by Dave905 »

Summertime carry is a concealed hoslter from handgunners.net. Fit's inside the pocket of cargo pants, is completely concealed at all times. You can wear it with a t-shirt tucked in if you prefer and still can't tell. Even my wife can't tell when I'm carrying with this setup and I've carrying a 4" 1911. I've been really pleased with this setup. Good luck.

Topic author
baseballguy2001

Dave -- was there a special brand name holster?
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

baseballguy2001 wrote:Dave -- was there a special brand name holster?
You can spend a lot of money on holsters from some of the more reputable manufacturers! But quality is important if you're going to carry in a holster, and expect to pay for that quality. It is worth it, though. And as several others have indirectly alluded, invest in a good gun belt if you are going to holster carry at your waist. Most holster manufacturers sell at least a couple of styles. But regardless of whose you buy, don't cheap out, and don't buy something that isn't sold specifically as a gun belt. Anything less won't hold its shape or carry the weight of the gun very well.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Dave905

Post by Dave905 »

baseballguy201,

The holster/belt rig is what you would receive. You supply the shorts of your choice. Depending on the size of your carry choice, you'll need to pay attention to pocket size of the shorts. Instructions come with the holster on where/how to cut slits where needed. I added a cut in mine just below my belt so loop for the holster that goes to your belt comes up right beneath my belt. This way nont of the rig is visible, the exception being the loop that goes over your belt to support the holster. I wear my cell phone directly on top of the holster loop so it's not visible either. It's a slick setup. I've had no issues with the holster or the holster rig in any way. I plan to purchase another one just to have a spare.

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

[quote="Mike1951"]My most common carry during summer in a 642 in a pocket holster./quote]
:iagree:
I've gotten to the point of carrying my 642 about 95% of the time now since I wear shorts year round here in the Houston area. I pocket it around the house and it's so much of a routine that I sometimes forget I have it.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

Mike1951 wrote:I no longer wear any belt rig during summer. I used to, but field stripping a 1911 after every day of drenching it with perspiration gets old pretty fast. I also won't wear a belt rig if it's too hot to make also wearing an undershirt or T-shirt comfortable. My most common carry during summer in a 642 in a pocket holster.

Occasionally, I will wear a fanny pack containing a 1911
"Get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock" :lol::

I agree with some of the others--I go from pants to shorts with belt loops, but that's about the only change. I wear a midsize Glock in a comp-tac IWB. When going extra sporty (i.e., shorts without belt loops), I'll go with the 5.11 holster shirt and switch to the baby Glock under the armpit.

I have definitely alterered my wardrobe choices to carry. No longer do I throw on a pair of gym shorts and tank top and head to the beach (okay, but then I take the dreaded fanny pack). It's a compromise and you need to find what works for you.

I'll echo the others' comments about quality hosters and belts. What might have been a working setup can be non-functional with cheap equipment.

Good luck,
GH

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”