Waxahachie,Ferris, and Garrett

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
zx9rt1
Posts in topic: 2

Waxahachie,Ferris, and Garrett

Post by zx9rt1 »

Interesting article I found at the Ennis news web site. Thought I pass it along.

Michael

http://www.elliscountypress.com/news/13 ... 07-03.html

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Waxahachie,Ferris, and Garrett

Post by longtooth »

Waxahachie’s ordinance is, according to an analysis of municipal ordinances, the strictest.

Discharging of firearms, according to Section 21-6 C of Waxahachie’s code of ordinances, states, "It shall be unlawful for any person other than a peace officer in line of duty to discharge a firearm within the City limits of the city of Waxahachie."

This part kinda sounds like they want to MAKE US THINK they will prosecute us for defending ourselves or family. :banghead:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

AEA

Post by AEA »

Not sure what they want us to "Think". But, most Cities have a similar ordnance. It's a safety and noise thing.

I seriously doubt that any DA, (in ANY City) (Except in DC and Chicago) in his right mind, would attempt to prosecute anyone under this ordnance for discharging a weapon in self defense.
Last edited by AEA on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 5

Post by seamusTX »

This kind of ordinance is pretty common. They would be nuts to prosecute someone who fired a shot in self-defense. The accused has the defense of necessity. In any case, it can only be a class C misdemeanor.

- Jim

Topic author
zx9rt1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by zx9rt1 »

I agree with longtooth. That's how I understand it also.

longtooth wrote:Waxahachie’s ordinance is, according to an analysis of municipal ordinances, the strictest.

Discharging of firearms, according to Section 21-6 C of Waxahachie’s code of ordinances, states, "It shall be unlawful for any person other than a peace officer in line of duty to discharge a firearm within the City limits of the city of Waxahachie."

This part kinda sounds like they want to MAKE US THINK they will prosecute us for defending ourselves or family. :banghead:

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mike1951 »

I live in the extra-territorial jurisdiction of a town. I don't get police or other city services but they can tell me that it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 1000' of city boundaries.

It's been that way for decades but it's just wrong!
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

seamusTX wrote:This kind of ordinance is pretty common. They would be nuts to prosecute someone who fired a shot in self-defense. The accused has the defense of necessity. In any case, it can only be a class C misdemeanor.
Then why make an exemption for peace officers? That right there shows their bias.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I've looked at a number of city ordinances. Many of them are close to identical. I suspect that they are based on a model set of ordinances.

I searched the web for "It shall be unlawful for any person other than a peace officer in line of duty to discharge a firearm" and found thousands of matches.

We really can't know what the city council had in mind when they drafted the ordinance, unless we figure out who did it and ask them.

I will note that Waxahachie and that part of Texas in general are not exactly bastions of liberalism.

- JIm

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I don't know the political nature of the area, but speaking in generalities, it would seem inconceivable that the town fathers had self-defense in mind when they wrote this ordinance. In fact, it would seem to me inconceivable that any small town in Texas would have an animus against the discharge of a firearm in self defense. Granted, the law of unintended consequences may apply, but if I were a defendant under prosecution for having fired my weapon in self defense, I would subpoena the folks that wrote the law to have them clarify what was on their minds when they wrote it; because I'm sure that if they turned out to be hostile witnesses, they would lose their jobs.

Such a law would have been better written if it had incorporated room for legitimate self-defense, and definitions of what constituted a legitimate discharge of a firearm within city limits.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

It would never get that far. If a cop arrested someone on a charge of discharging a firearm within city limits after shooting a burglar or robber, his lieutenant would probably give him a noogie. If the city attorney prosecuted, he would become a laughingstock.

- Jim

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Section 21-6 C "It shall be unlawful for any person other than a peace officer in line of duty to discharge a firearm within the City limits of the city of Waxahachie."
(a) unless in the act of self defence as defined by the state of Texas penal code.

Be kinda cool to see that added, just to remove any kind of doubts or concerns...

I dunno, just shooting from the hip here...Outside the city limits of course... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

cxm

Post by cxm »

Didn't the legislature pre-empt all firearms legislation? Or was it only relating to carry?

Chuck
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Local government bodies can regulate the discharge of firearms.
Local Government Code §229.001. FIREARMS; EXPLOSIVES. (a) A municipality may not adopt regulations relating to the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or firearm supplies.
They can't regulate ranges out of existence by fiat, either. But there are ways to accomplish that.

- Jim

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

and that's why I live outside city limits.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pinkycatcher

Post by Pinkycatcher »

seamusTX wrote:Local government bodies can regulate the discharge of firearms.
Local Government Code §229.001. FIREARMS; EXPLOSIVES. (a) A municipality may not adopt regulations relating to the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or firearm supplies.
They can't regulate ranges out of existence by fiat, either. But there are ways to accomplish that.

- Jim
Yah, but most cities are pretty good about allowing ranges, granted you have to go through a lot of loops to open one.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”