CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 32

Re: Crime Statistics: CHL v. General Population

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I just noticed something about this thread. It has been viewed over 20,000 times. That's great to see because it means a lot of people are getting the message. I know from comments I've received from our folks in Austin that these stats are widely used during the legislative session by a lot of people. BTW, the downloaded totals clear and start over every time I upload new files, so you can't g by those numbers.

Chas.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 3

Post by baldeagle »

Charles, that's fantastic. Thanks again for all the hard work you do on our behalf. I don't know what we would do without you.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

baldeagle wrote:Charles, that's fantastic. Thanks again for all the hard work you do on our behalf. I don't know what we would do without you.
:iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Thanks guys!

I've added another file that covers crimes per 100,000 for 2002 through 2012, so the following data is available:
  • 1. Crimes per 100,000 for 2002 - 2012 in pdf;
    2. Crimes per 100,000 for 2012 (most recent DPS data) in pdf;
    3. Detailed crime data for all crimes from 2002 - 2012, including crimes per 100,000 in Excel.
I have found that the crimes per 100,000 are much more meaningful to almost everyone, than are the detailed data. This is largely because people don't understand and appreciate the fact that a change of 1/10 of one percent is significant with a population of 18+ million people. I have presented the crimes per 100,000 both as a stand alone 2012 file since that is the most recent data released by DPS, as well as for the entire study period of 2002 - 2012. This makes it easy for people to print only the most current year or the entire study, whichever is most useful for their application.

Chas.

ELB
Posts in topic: 8

Post by ELB »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Thanks guys!

I've added another file that covers crimes per 100,000 for 2002 through 2012, so the following data is available:
    3. Detailed crime data for all crimes from 2002 - 2012, including crimes per 100,000 in Excel.
Chas.
The two .pdf links in the OP go to two different PDFs of the same document, the 2012 rates per 100K. The 2002-2012 one appears to be missing.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

ELB wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Thanks guys!

Chas.
The two .pdf links in the OP go to two different PDFs of the same document, the 2012 rates per 100K. The 2002-2012 one appears to be missing.
Just scroll through the pages on the 2002-2012 document, all the data is there.

Chas.

ELB
Posts in topic: 8

Post by ELB »

Aha! turns out i needed reinstall acrobat -- it was loading slow anyway, something was not right. Thanks for doing this!
USAF 1982-2005

TEA

Post by TEA »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I have the data going back to 2002 and it's in the spreadsheet. The pdf is only the last two years and only the comparison per 100,000. I need to update for 2012 since DPS has now released that data.

Chas.
That's great. Thanks.

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

Chas, as always, thanks for keeping these stats active. I know that Jennifer (The Busy Mom) talks to these stats during her CHL classes.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

TEA

Post by TEA »

Thanks again. I hope that this data will prove useful at our next faculty association meeting.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71888

Thardinsmith

Post by Thardinsmith »

How many CHLs committed crimes last year? Seems like officers should relax as soon as they realize your a CHL & not likely to want to harm them.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

Thardinsmith wrote:How many CHLs committed crimes last year? Seems like officers should relax as soon as they realize your a CHL & not likely to want to harm them.
An LEO can never totally relax just because the probabilities are low. All it takes is one nutcase -- CHL or not -- to shoot you and that creates a bad day.

I am personally aware of at least one LEO that was shot and killed by a CHL during a traffic stop in Ohio about 2008 or so.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

DPS just released crime stats for 2013. I will do the detailed analysis when I have time, but based upon a CHL eligible population of approximately 19 million Texans, CHLs are 16.74 times less likely to commit a crime than is the general population. This number will change when I get the exact number (yeah, right) of Texans age 21 and over, but the change will be insignificant.

Chas.

Rrash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rrash »

I notice it spiked considerably in 2013. Just curious, are many of these convictions tied to one offender? There seems to be a large number of sexual assault with a child and child indecency convictions, for example. All in all, it's an astoundingly small number, but I could see Bloomberg saying that crime stats among CHL's almost doubled over the last 2 years, for example.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Rrash wrote:I notice it spiked considerably in 2013. Just curious, are many of these convictions tied to one offender? There seems to be a large number of sexual assault with a child and child indecency convictions, for example. All in all, it's an astoundingly small number, but I could see Bloomberg saying that crime stats among CHL's almost doubled over the last 2 years, for example.
With the miniscule number of CHL convictions, even small increases represent a large change in terms of percentage. Total CHL crimes went up by only 38, while the total number of CHLs increased by 123,198! As you noted, one person could account for more than one crime, but that information is not available.

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”