Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

psycho_bob42
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Cities improperly posting 30.06 signs?

Post by psycho_bob42 »

JP171 wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
psycho_bob42 wrote:In Bay City the Matagorda County Courthouse is posted with 30.06 signs at each entrance. The first floor of the building is used for tax offices and vehicle registration. The actual courtrooms are on the second floor.
They are classing it as a court building. I would like to see the law changed to Court Rooms and Offices if properly posted. Take building out of the equation.

this is what the law does say, it doesn't seem to me to mean the entire building but has been interpreted to mean that by county/city/state people

PC §46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court;

to me this means that you cannot go into court rooms, the clerks office or any other offices used by the court
Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (c) In this section:
(1) "Premises" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035.

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

To me it seems like this should fall under "portion of a building" since the whole building isn't solely used for courts. Now the Bay City Municipal Court is just a waiting room and then a court, no 30.06 sign and none needed. But I don't see why I can't walk into the registration office and pick up my new tags or register my boat while carrying.

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 9

Post by MeMelYup »

JP171 wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
psycho_bob42 wrote:In Bay City the Matagorda County Courthouse is posted with 30.06 signs at each entrance. The first floor of the building is used for tax offices and vehicle registration. The actual courtrooms are on the second floor.
They are classing it as a court building. I would like to see the law changed to Court Rooms and Offices if properly posted. Take building out of the equation.

this is what the law does say, it doesn't seem to me to mean the entire building but has been interpreted to mean that by county/city/state people

PC §46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court;

to me this means that you cannot go into court rooms, the clerks office or any other offices used by the court
The definition of premises is the building, such as premises of a school.

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 12

Post by JP171 »

MeMelYup wrote:
JP171 wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:

The definition of premises is the building, such as premises of a school.
from 46.035

(3) “Premises” means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

The red part I believe is more applicable to courthouse annexes as I believe that this was the intent of the law makers, not to keep someone going in to renew auto registration from being able to carry be cause there is a court room of a JP in the building. I believe that the main county courthouse is according to the law off limits as they are all courts or court offices with few exceptions. Court annexes are not, they are actually multi service centers and in my opinion should not and are not off limits as the whole building nor even the majority of the building is not for court use. I also believe that the governmental agencies that use them are sliding thru a grey area of the law and abusing a clause that was never intended to used as it is being used.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 51

Post by seamusTX »

Minute Maid Park in Houston. Sign appears valid. I didn't pull out a ruler—that would be weird (though you can use a U.S. quarter coin to measure an inch).

The physical premises of Minute Maid Park are owned by the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority, which is a taxpayer-funded public entity: http://www.houstonsports.org/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Professional sporting events are off-limits by statute, of course; but Minute Maid Park is used for many other functions that are not professional sporting events.

I find it hard to believe no one has noticed this in all these years and hundreds of messages. It is on http://texas3006.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;,

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

seamusTX wrote:Minute Maid Park in Houston. Sign appears valid. I didn't pull out a ruler—that would be weird (though you can use a U.S. quarter coin to measure an inch).

The physical premises of Minute Maid Park are owned by the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority, which is a taxpayer-funded public entity: http://www.houstonsports.org/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Professional sporting events are off-limits by statute, of course; but Minute Maid Park is used for many other functions that are not professional sporting events.

I find it hard to believe no one has noticed this in all these years and hundreds of messages. It is on http://texas3006.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;,

- Jim
Hmmm? I was involved in the construction of Enron Field and it wasn't a real nice part of town back then. Has the area changed?

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Oldgringo wrote:I was involved in the construction of Enron Field and it wasn't a real nice part of town back then. Has the area changed?
Oh, yeah. It's yuppie and tourist heaven now. If you haven't been there in a dozen years, you wouldn't recognize the area.

IIRC, it was originally called the Ball Park at Union Station. Enron had its name on the stadium until Enron went down in flames. Then it became Minute Maid Park.

- Jim

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

seamusTX wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:I was involved in the construction of Enron Field and it wasn't a real nice part of town back then. Has the area changed?
Oh, yeah. It's yuppie and tourist heaven now. If you haven't been there in a dozen years, you wouldn't recognize the area.

IIRC, it was originally called the Ball Park at Union Station. Enron had its name on the stadium until Enron went down in flames. Then it became Minute Maid Park.

- Jim
You're right about the names. I reckon it's been 15 years since I was in the area. My, time flies when you're having fun, eh?

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Oldgringo wrote: My, time flies when you're having fun, eh?
Perfecto, tempus fugit.

But let's not get too far off topic.

- Jim

unicyclist
Posts in topic: 14

Post by unicyclist »

I spoke with Webster City Secretary yesterday 11-December-13, and she said she spoke with the County Attorney and the signs will be removed. I will return to verify they have been removed, but until then....

Webster Civic Center
311 Pennsylvania Ave
Webster, TX 77598
Image]

Webster Recreation Building
311 Pennsylvania Ave
Webster TX 77598

unicyclist

Post by unicyclist »

Clear Lake Water Authority. Note, this is not a pump, plant, or any kind of factory. This location is just offices.

Clear Lake Water Authority
900 Bay Area Blvd
Houston, TX 77058

unicyclist

Post by unicyclist »

Not a city, but still an improper state office 30.06 posting.

Gulf Coast Waste Disposal Authority (Just offices, no pumps, factories, anything of that nature)
910 Bay Area Blvd
Houston, TX ‎

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 9

Post by MeMelYup »

Unicyclist, signs 1, 2, 3. And 4
Sign 1 and 2 are valid 30.06.
Sign 3 is the obsolete 30.06 sign, so carry away.
Signs 4, I would carry anyway but you may take a ride. The law states "a sign in both English and Spanish," nothing about signs, 1 in English and 1in Spanish.

unicyclist

Post by unicyclist »

MeMelYup wrote:Unicyclist, signs 1, 2, 3. And 4
Sign 1 and 2 are valid 30.06.
Sign 3 is the obsolete 30.06 sign, so carry away.
Signs 4, I would carry anyway but you may take a ride. The law states "a sign in both English and Spanish," nothing about signs, 1 in English and 1in Spanish.
Sign 1 and 2 are city owned and operated buildings, not valid
Sign 4 is in Spanish, you can see the sliver of the paper on the left side of the screen. I tried to back up and get them both but the glare came back each time.

Notes: I have have left a voicemail with the Clear Lake Water Authority's attorney. Awaiting a reply
I spoke with the Health and Safety Director for GCWDA, and he was slightly aggressive over the phone. I stayed calm and explained the only reason I would like the sign removed is that a responsible citizen is deemed a threat, and required to leave a firearm in an unattended vehicle. He said he would ask his attorney and get back to me by Monday. He started off aggressively over the phone, but I feel that he calmed down quite a bit at the end of the conversation.

unicyclist

Post by unicyclist »

unicyclist wrote:I spoke with Webster City Secretary yesterday 11-December-13, and she said she spoke with the County Attorney and the signs will be removed. I will return to verify they have been removed, but until then....

Webster Civic Center
311 Pennsylvania Ave
Webster, TX 77598
[ Image ]]

311 Pennsylvania Ave
Webster TX 77598
[ Image ]

Update:
The signs have been removed from the Civic Center, and the City Secretary has said that the Recreation is next on the schedule.

Even better news, the city of Webster went ahead and removed the THREE 30.06 signs they had posted on the main entrance to their city hall, all without me even mentioning these signs to them. It was absolutely pleasant working with Pauline Small (City Secretary). I have not had any city employee be as quick and helpful as she was!

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

unicyclist wrote:
unicyclist wrote:I spoke with Webster City Secretary yesterday 11-December-13, and she said she spoke with the County Attorney and the signs will be removed. I will return to verify they have been removed, but until then....

Webster Civic Center
311 Pennsylvania Ave
Webster, TX 77598
[ Image ]]

311 Pennsylvania Ave
Webster TX 77598
[ Image ]
Update:
The signs have been removed from the Civic Center, and the City Secretary has said that the Recreation is next on the schedule.

Even better news, the city of Webster went ahead and removed the THREE 30.06 signs they had posted on the main entrance to their city hall, all without me even mentioning these signs to them. It was absolutely pleasant working with Pauline Small (City Secretary). I have not had any city employee be as quick and helpful as she was!
:thewave
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”